FSX Stream

usb777

Can you install and run Stream side by side with FSX Gold or would one need to uninstall the original FSX first? I think I would like to try Stream just for curiosity.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Hi,

I'm assuming you mean Steam. Both versions run without conflict on a single PC. Problems arise when downloading addons. Many don't allow you to specify to which version you'd like them to be installed to. This is being worked on by major software producers.

Jim F.

Yes Steam. Thanks, I always install my addons manually whenever possible but that is something to be aware of. How would you compare it with prepared3D?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

The announcements I've seen from the Steam version developer is they have not done much to it. It's Acceleration as we know it. They claim to have adjusted performance a bit, but I would speculate they've just put in place some of the more common known CFG tweaks that do not cause any problems. Their goal at this point was not to compete with P3D but to offer an easier way for new people to purchase the sim.

P3D will be the ground breaker for quite a while. They have years head start re-writing the code while the code in FSX has been frozen for over 9 years.

If you already have the MS Acceleration, I highly doubt you'll see anything jump out at you right off the bat. Add to that all the add-ons and tweaking you have to do all over again. I only have one life to live...

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Hi usb,

I'm not familiar with P3D but it's very close to Disc FSX in performance. I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere but I think the major reason for the slightly improved performance is that the "TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT" in the Display section has been increased from 40 to 160. Just prior to the release of the Steam version I came across a post recommending this. This change, in addition to running FSX at high priority, resulted in the most improvement of the disc version that I could see.

The Steam version has some problems when it comes to effects. At least some of these can be remedied by turning the effects down to medium; smoke for instance. I haven't investigated fully. I saw this in a post on another forum.

Jim F.

Here's am official Steam document which provides quite a bit of information on what to expect and differences to the MS boxed version.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820729615790/

I would note that the Steam setting for

* Increased TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD to 4096

is pretty much a standard tweak for high end machines, It seems to reduce frame rates on my machine and others who are not in the 4Ghz+ range. 1024 (FSX default max) works better for me.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

FSX (original) is about 7-8 years old. FSX-Steam is the old FSX (+Accelleration) slightly modded with network updates. Dovetail that has the license to distribute FSX through Steam cannot modify FSX.

Lockheed Martin has the license, from Microsoft, of the Professional version of FSX, formally known as ESP. They have modified & updated the original at least 5-6 times by now, they have version 2.4 out, & their simulation is called P3D (Prepar3d).

Major changes have taken place, far too many to enumerate here, but can be found on their site. One of the most important is shifting a lot of graphic functionality from the CPU to the actual GPU (graphics card) thus freeing up a lot of proceessing power.

Yes, you can run FSX-Steam next to your existing FSX install, I fail to understand why having 2 of the same program. There hase been a lot of postings on various forums that FSX-Steam has more of a placebo effact than anything else, as we tend to forget how FSX was when we originally installed it & tend to compare a virgin install of FSX-Steam with our older 'loaded' FSX.

Methinks FSX-Steam is now @ $24.00 as opposed to P3D Academic at about $49 (I stand corrected at these pricings), so, the decision is to go for either a 7-8 year old program that you probably have already, or move on to something that is continually being updated.

Just a few of my thoughts..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

There hase been a lot of postings on various forums that FSX-Steam has more of a placebo effact than anything else, as we tend to forget how FSX was when we originally installed it & tend to compare a virgin install of FSX-Steam with our older 'loaded' FSX.

There have also been posts by some, including the author of the FSUIPC add-on, who have installed both editions side by side and found minor, but definite improvements. So even though they couldn't make major changes, they did make some that have had at least a minor impact.

As for Prepar3D, it certainly is under development, but is only an option for those that fit one of the licence options. And doesn't currently work for those who want to fly PMDG aircraft.

Edited to add a missed word.

"...Dovetail that has the license to distribute FSX through Steam cannot modify FSX."

"...So even though they couldn't make major changes..."

I think the key here is didn't, not couldn't make major changes...

According to the link I provided above they are compiling the code. They cannot do this without the source code. How much they can change the source code could be a matter of debate but it's obvious they have an agreement with MS they can modify the code. Why that agreement might be selective or highly restrictive would not make sense to me since why pay MS to modify the executable and only be able to slightly touch it?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160...9820729615790/

This statement in the following link also suggests their license is not overly restrictive:

"...Dovetail Games that acquired the rights to the game (and its engine) back in July."

http://www.winbeta.org/news/take-skies-once-more-flight-simulator-x-steam-edition-dovetail-games

Dovetail:

"Yes, there have been a few tweaks made that may improve the performance of FSX for some users, but if you already have the simulator we're making no secret about the fact that at this point, what we're offering to you is limited. The people we're hoping to attract first and foremost are those to whom FSX will be a brand new experience, rather than those who have already invested a great deal of time and energy into the hobby.

We know this will be a little disappointing to those who had hoped for a revolutionary rebirth of the simulator, but we've got a way to go before we can talk about our future plans. At the moment we're focusing on introducing FSX to a new generation of flight simulation fans.”

Between the links provided, the product change list, and quotes from the company, there should be little doubt about what this FSX Steam release is, what it is supposed to do, and Dovetail's intentions for this release.

-Pv-

What about add ons like REX and Active Sky as well as Extra AI military and civilian?

Mike G.

For all intents and purposes, think of Steam FSX as FSX Acceleration.

I think all the above documents and observations should be making it clear what to expect from the product with as yet few people using it. It will be *MANY YEARS* before every add-on in every combination ever created for FSX is tried by a steam user and reported reliably (not just someone with hardware or poor configurations who doesn't understand how FSX works.)

There is no reason that add-on aircraft as a "category" should be considered differently (military/civ.)

As with ALL things FS, every add-on of every kind should be considered on a single package basis with the understanding that the Steam Version IS FSX ACCELERATION and not a new FS with new features. It's more like one of your friends has FSX with this set of tweaks and you have FSX with your favorite set of tweaks. Will work on both computers? Probably, but there is ALWAYS the chance it will not even though you are BOTH running MS box installations of FSX Acceleration.

A model is a model is a model. IF HOWEVER an aircraft uses something peculiar such as custom dlls in the modules folder, then *maybe* the Steam will be different, but at this point asking weather one thing or another add-on WORKS in Steam is a matter of asking someone who has tried it. There are web sites providing compatibility lists.

You might find your investigative time more productive by frequenting or contributing to these lists.

Speaking as someone who has been watching FS come and go for 25 years, this is not a new planet we've discovered, so no need to think everything we know has been turned up-side-down or thrown out.

As for ASN, unless Dovetail has disabled simconnect and FS's internal weather engine (which they have not) there is no reason to believe ASN will not work. Has ANYONE tried it yet? Why not visit the ASN forums and find out? Visit any other product web page you care about and find out.

-Pv-

As Steam said before they released FSX, most addons will work.

AFAIK there are 2 major issues to date with FSX:SE.

One is that installers are not set up to look for FSX:SE. In time this will be worked out by the individual developers.

This issue really only shows up, for the most part, with users who installed FSX:SE on computers that already had FSX:MS on them.

In the case of a side by side install FSX:SE creates unique registry entries, FSX.cfg (actually FSX_SE.cfg), scenery.cfg, etc. This is where the installers get tripped up.

If you install FSX:SE on a computer that has never had FSX:MS installed on it, or has had FSX:MS removed completely from it, FSX:SE writes registry entries etc. that match what FSX:MS-only users have. Those users should have no problems with installers.

The second issue, one that probably causes ASN to not work, is that FSX:SE installs a unique version of SimConnect. Programs that rely on SimConnect to talk to FSX will have to be modified to read the new version.

FSX:SE does come with an installer for the earlier versions of SimConnect for users that have never had FSX:MS installed on their PCs.

Running this installer may allow some legacy programs to talk to FSX:SE through the earlier versions. AFAIK the jury is still out on this one.

As stated above, most payware addons have their own websites and support forums. They would be the best source for specific info.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived