The More I Read, the Less I Know

bbow01

As a REAL NEWBIE to the flight sim world, I want to first ask forgiveness for what is probably a redundant and eye rolling question for the "vets" on the Forum.

Here's the back story. I stumbled across a model on a Web Site called Vertavia.com and saw a model (A-4 Skyhawk) that I'd really like to play with. I plan on doing an upgrade to my PC to bring it more up to date for gaming, but when I started to look into what Flight Sim software to get, that's when it became quite confusing to me. The Vertavia A-4 says it is specifically for FSX, which if I understand correctly, is no longer available.

So what software do I need to run this model? I would like the flight characteristics to be as realistic as possible and more of a simulation and less of a "game".

Any help is really appreciated,

Thanks,

BBOW

The first step on the path to Wisdom, Grasshoppah, is to acknowledge one's own ignorance!

Ok, ok, so maybe not a real "Kung Fu" quote (or was it???), but it's what I try (note TRY) to live my life by.

Or, in other words: Only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :D

I grabbed Steam when it was $5.00, and the first thing i've bought since 2004 when I got the FS2004 that had just come out, and a joystick to go with it. Yeah, yeah, I'm frugal......VERY frugal. Maniacally frugal...ok, ok...But up till a decade ago, I was raising 5 kids (out of 7. Not bad!) and then, once I was on disability, well, no money to be made there...ANYWAY...

Steam seems to work great for me. I have yet to find a regular FSX Accel add-on that doesn't work on it. Yeah, I know, very long-winded answer, but that's just me...sorry...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Morning all, & welcome.

A question to be asked, Bbow01, Do you actually have any simulation software on your computer at all?

If so, which one?

Do you have any controllers? Joystick? Yoke? Pedals?

If you are looking for FSX, The Steam download is an option, @ about $25, also, for the original FSX, try googling the normal web stores etc.

If you are a basic beginner, with a normal (not high powered PC), try looking for FS2004 (also known as FS9), as this will work better on a normal, standard PC.

You can also search for the Skyhawk at the various freeware sites, such as this one, simviation.com, sim-outhouse.com, avsim.com etc.

If you are a REAL NEWBIE, it is essential to have some sort of controller, (Joystick) as trying to control a plane via the keyboard is impossible & frustrating, as is trying FSX in a standard PC.

AS they say, start & get comfortable with the basics.

Blue Skys & Happy Landings,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Morning all, & welcome.

A question to be asked, Bbow01, Do you actually have any simulation software on your computer at all?

If so, which one?

Do you have any controllers? Joystick? Yoke? Pedals?

If you are looking for FSX, The Steam download is an option, @ about $25, also, for the original FSX, try googling the normal web stores etc.

If you are a basic beginner, with a normal (not high powered PC), try looking for FS2004 (also known as FS9), as this will work better on a normal, standard PC.

You can also search for the Skyhawk at the various freeware sites, such as this one, simviation.com, sim-outhouse.com, avsim.com etc.

If you are a REAL NEWBIE, it is essential to have some sort of controller, (Joystick) as trying to control a plane via the keyboard is impossible & frustrating, as is trying FSX in a standard PC.

AS they say, start & get comfortable with the basics.

Blue Skys & Happy Landings,

Robin

Thanks to everyone for the sage advise and direction. No, I currently do not have any simulation S/W on my PC. It's basically a family PC used for browsing and the usual stuff (bill paying, music library's, etc.) It's getting pretty long in the tooth (Pentium D) so I'm going to update it with new MB, CPU, Graphics Card, etc. Basically a new PC.

In the past I used it a lot as a simulator when I was flying RC Helis, but that was years ago.

I have no joystick or throttle, but have been offered a Thrustmaster combo from a guy at work.

I've picked up the bug to fly an A-4 since I spent 6 years in the US Navy, 3 1/2 of them in an A-4 squadron at Lemoore NAS in, CA.

BBOW01

• 2 weeks later...

If you are upgrading your PC, most of the time it is better to get a new one, than to try fix an old machine. Have a look at a laptop? Cmpare prices with a decent i7 laptop, 4GB minimum RAM to the costs of a desktop. Ive been flying a laptop for many years now. Its just a tad more convenient than a big box.

OK, now that you have the PC/laptop. Whats next... the simulator itself..

1. Flight Simulator 2004 - old, very good for not so great PC's (I still use it)

2. FSX - 8 years old, update of the above FS2004

3. FSX:SE (or Steam) - 8 years old, slightly modded version of FSX, re-distributed by a company called 'Dovetail'. you may have a few install issues with aircraft, scenery, etc.

4. P3D, known as Prepar3d. This is marketed by Lockheed Martin who bought the professional/commercial licence of FSX (called ESP) & have modded it & updated it about 7-8 times now, compared to FSX. This P3d has different versions, the cheapest, & most popular of which, the Academic version is sold for about $50. About 2x the price of FSX: SE.

P3D is sold "Not for entertainment". (so, you must use it for flying, training etc, not for playing games, if you get my drift!)

A decent joystick is essential.

Also, there is a payware version of the Skyhawk here..

http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/product.php?productid=555046

I have not been able to find a free one as yet.

So, you got the PC/laptop, the simulation software, the joystick.. what next?

Try,fly & play! Get used to the simulator, practice on the basic planes, run thru the lessons until you get comfortable, then start looking for add-ons.

Crawl first, things can get intimidating very quickly when newbies (if I may call new simmers that) rush into things

And... just ask!!

We've all been down your road & we all here to help.

Good Luck

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I've picked up the bug to fly an A-4 since I spent 6 years in the US Navy, 3 1/2 of them in an A-4 squadron at Lemoore NAS in, CA.

BBOW01

Thank you for your service, sir!

I spent 7 years in Yuma (30 total, but I got out of the Corps...), doing I-Level at AIMD on F-4 and A-4 radar systems, as well as the VTAS in both planes. We had A-4's (VMFAT-102) all over the place :)

Just wanted to thank you for your time and service :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived