Adding scenery that is posted only as a .bgl file

jlaurie

I can add whole scenery folders to my FSX Steam Edition, (ones that have scenery and texture folder only) but if the add on consists of only one or two .bgl files. Adding them to the add on scenery/scenery folder doesn't work. They never show up . .

Any suggestions?

Jeff

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 8Gb

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

So after adding them to the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and then starting the Sim, it never gives the status bar with the scenery loading? Have you tried putting the 2 .bgl files into a folder named for the scenery and adding it to the Scenery Library?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Is the "scenery\scenery" folder you use an active scenery file? In other words, is in the scenery folder you add them to in library's list of folders?

Did you try using the built in FSX\Add-on Scenery\scenery folder? Did you add it and activate it if required? If I remember correctly, the sim installs originally with the folder FSX\Addon Scenery\ already added and active, but you may need to add the folder FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery manually. I may be wrong. It may be there already.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

So after adding them to the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and then starting the Sim, it never gives the status bar with the scenery loading? Have you tried putting the 2 .bgl files into a folder named for the scenery and adding it to the Scenery Library?

Just tried both those ideas and although they sound plausible neither one worked . .

Jeff

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

Is the "scenery\scenery" folder you use an active scenery file? In other words, is in the scenery folder you add them to in library's list of folders?

Did you try using the built in FSX\Add-on Scenery\scenery folder? Did you add it and activate it if required? If I remember correctly, the sim installs originally with the folder FSX\Addon Scenery\ already added and active, but you may need to add the folder FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery manually. I may be wrong. It may be there already.

Pat☺

Thx for the reply Pat.

Yes I added them to the Add-on Scenery/scenery file that came with the FSX installation and is listed in the library . . . no luck.

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

I can add whole scenery folders to my FSX Steam Edition, (ones that have scenery and texture folder only) but if the add on consists of only one or two .bgl files. Adding them to the add on scenery/scenery folder doesn't work. They never show up . .

Any suggestions?

Jeff

Those are good suggestions and I have just tried them and they don't work either . . .

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

CHYE.bgl Add on for Hope B.C.

Tried the Hope Airport scenery CHYE.bgl. Added it to my Addon Scenery/scenery folder and got the loading status bar showing the scenery files were being added when FSX was started.

I know that FSX-SE has some funky file locations in it.

An option to test the default Addon Scenery folder to see if it has a problem registering files.....

A. Using the FSX scenery settings page untick one of the scenery entries that you have added for an airport that contains both scenery and textures. Click OK and exit the scenery settings page and let FSX rebuild the database. Close FSX or, if you wish, go the location of the removed airport to confirm that the FSX default airport loads and then close FSX.

B. Go to the folder of the chosen airport and COPY the .bgl files into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and then copy the associated texture files into the Addon Scenery\Texture folder.

C. Restart FSX - you should get the status bar indicating that the database is being updated. Once loaded go back to the location of the airport and confirm that it has been reinstalled.

Depending on the result:

If you don't see the status bar or the airport does not load then there is likely to be an issue with the entry for the Addon Scenery in the scenery,cfg file. A simple resolution may be to deselect the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery settings page, rebuild the database and close FSX. Then restart FSX, reselect the Addon Scenery option again and rebuild the database and test. Another option would be to open the scenery.cfg file in notepad and check the entry for the Addom Scenery top level folder. It should look like this example:

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

NOTE - the [Area.XXX] may be different

Also note that you will find a number of FSX related scenery.cfg files on your system both in the main FSX folder and outside. Most are just backup or reference files. The 'live' file is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft|FSX or FSX-SE - it will be the FSX option if you have only ever installed the SE version of FSX onto your system or it will be FSX-SE if you have previously installed a BOXED version of FSX and ran it concurrently alongside the SE version.

If the airport loads correctly, close FSX, add the CHYE.bgl to the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and restart FSX. You should once again get the status bar, check as before. Once happy that it is installed you can then delete the files associated with the copied airport from the actions taken above and re-enable the scenery.

Another thing to consider is using a tool called Scenery Config Editor (SCE) - download from HERE and see HERE for detailed instructions.

Its freeware and allows you to add new scenery without having to start FSX. It will also highlight any problem areas and has a built text editor.

Regards

Brian

It worked OK on my FSX Acceleration. One problem though - the screenshot shows a runway number which does not display in the scenery.

This is probably because you are missing a required object library. Check the readme if there is one - it should tell you what is required.

I also suggest the you download and install the RWY12 Object library if you haven't already as this contains runway numbers and is often used by scenery authors.

EDIT

On closer inspection of the included picture you can actually see the figure 07 - it hidden by the 'snow' so suggest changing the season so you can confirm it

EDIT END

Regards

Brian

Start fsx.

Open scènesw library.

Find 'Addon scenery' in the list.

Select it (click on it).

Click 'delete area'.

Close library to let rebuild.

Open library again.

Click 'add area'.

Add the 'Addon scenery' folder.

Click addon scenery area in list. Then click 'move down' until it is just above the last default entry.

Close library.

Fly and check if all is well now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree but sure wish I could solve this one. Tere are so many sceneries I can't use. It's very frustrating.

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

For another experimental try, let me suggest another place to stick it, so to speak. Maybe the sun will shine there! Put the CHYE.bgl into your FSX/Scenery/Global/Sceney folder and then start FSX.

I just tried it and it works fine....still!

An option to test the default Addon Scenery folder to see if it has a problem registering files.....

A. Using the FSX scenery settings page untick one of the scenery entries that you have added for an airport that contains both scenery and textures. Click OK and exit the scenery settings page and let FSX rebuild the database. Close FSX or, if you wish, go the location of the removed airport to confirm that the FSX default airport loads and then close FSX.

B. Go to the folder of the chosen airport and COPY the .bgl files into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and then copy the associated texture files into the Addon Scenery\Texture folder.

C. Restart FSX - you should get the status bar indicating that the database is being updated. Once loaded go back to the location of the airport and confirm that it has been reinstalled.

Depending on the result:

If you don't see the status bar or the airport does not load then there is likely to be an issue with the entry for the Addon Scenery in the scenery,cfg file. A simple resolution may be to deselect the Addon Scenery entry in the Scenery settings page, rebuild the database and close FSX. Then restart FSX, reselect the Addon Scenery option again and rebuild the database and test. Another option would be to open the scenery.cfg file in notepad and check the entry for the Addom Scenery top level folder. It should look like this example:

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

NOTE - the [Area.XXX] may be different

Also note that you will find a number of FSX related scenery.cfg files on your system both in the main FSX folder and outside. Most are just backup or reference files. The 'live' file is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft|FSX or FSX-SE - it will be the FSX option if you have only ever installed the SE version of FSX onto your system or it will be FSX-SE if you have previously installed a BOXED version of FSX and ran it concurrently alongside the SE version.

If the airport loads correctly, close FSX, add the CHYE.bgl to the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and restart FSX. You should once again get the status bar, check as before. Once happy that it is installed you can then delete the files associated with the copied airport from the actions taken above and re-enable the scenery.

Another thing to consider is using a tool called Scenery Config Editor (SCE) - download from HERE and see HERE for detailed instructions.

Its freeware and allows you to add new scenery without having to start FSX. It will also highlight any problem areas and has a built text editor.

Those are very complex and worthwhile suggestions Brian. It's much above my pay grade I'm afraid. Although having 25 years experience flying Flight Sim from FS5 up to FSXE and have a real life pilots license I've never gotten into the structure of the program. I tried as much as I could but to no avail.

Problem was solved by Mrzippy when he suggested I try and stick the CYHE .bgl file in the FSX Add-on scenery/scenery/global/scenery. I have no idea why it worked but it did.

Thank you so much for your suggestions though. They are appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff-2018-jan-3-004.jpg

-2018-jan-3-001.jpg

-2018-jan-3-003.jpg

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

For another experimental try, let me suggest another place to stick it, so to speak. Maybe the sun will shine there! Put the CHYE.bgl into your FSX/Scenery/Global/Sceney folder and then start FSX.

I just tried it and it works fine....still!

You nailed it Sir! That worked like a charm and I so much appreciate it, thanks . . .now to try and remember all those hundreds of files that failed to load in the past,

Thanks again,

Jeff

-2018-jan-3-003.jpg

-2018-jan-3-001.jpg

-2018-jan-3-004.jpg

ASUS

Intel core i7-8700

DDR4 16G

HDD 1TB

SSD 256GB (M 2)

MSFS2020 Advanced system

You nailed it Sir! That worked like a charm and I so much appreciate it, thanks . . .now to try and remember all those hundreds of files that failed to load in the past,

Thanks again,

Jeff

Glad it worked for you. I just figured it was another storage area for scenery files, so what the heck?;)

I agree but sure wish I could solve this one. Tere are so many sceneries I can't use. It's very frustrating.

Glad you got it sorted out and have a solution that you can take forward to get the other scenery that you have mentioned working. The reason why it worked is because, as Charlie stated in post #19, the Scenery\World\Scenery folder is basically a FSX default location for scenery that is already 'activated' within the sim by default - the same as the Addon Scenery folder (and its sub folders \Scenery and \Texture) should be.

Therefore, based on your original and the subsequent statements made since my previous post (post#11) I do think that the problem lies with the default Addon Scenery folder not being recognised/activated.

Regards

Brian

Archived