Aircraft Carriers?

Rupert

I hope I'm not shocking everyone with my lack of knowledge. But am not aware of any Buyware, shareware, etc. that uses an Aircraft Carrier as an airport for Free Flights. Being an old chopper jockey who flew a bunch off of carriers, slant tops & straight tops, I'd love some software that sees an Aircraft Carrier as an airport.

Are there any aircraft carrier airports available? And no I don't mean as a part of a mission or lesson. I'm talking about Free Flight.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

As most of the carriers in FSX are moving AI, it's pretty hard, nearly impossible to save/reload a flight departing from a carrier. Almost every time ends up in a "splash"-message.

Best way is to set up a saved flight on final approach, land, refuel (don't try trapping with full tanks) and taxi to the cat for departure.

When using an addon that uses the carrier as a static scenery object, the carrier can be treated as a normal airport.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Hi Rupert

I'm only familiar with flight simulator and am not aware of what may be available in other software. In FSX, at least without additional software, it's not possible to select a carrier to start a flight from in the same manner that you can from an airport.

This is not a disadvantage in my opinion as in the real world you don't generally start a flight from a carrier at a fixed location. There are AI carriers within FSX that you can land on, save a flight and then reload and start from there. Here's the schedule of the carriers:

Route.JPG

Turn your ship traffic to max and the carriers can be found at the starting points when they're not underway.

Jim F.

Edit: I didn't see Wim's reply prior to posting. He's absolutely right about problems with saving a flight and reloading it. I have a flight saved at North Island just prior to the departure time and use that. It seems like you could save a flight in the proximity of a moving carrier and start from there.

You can also create a flight with the default Goose, in the water, close to where the carrier is/is going to be. Then either fly, or slew, onto deck and just change aircraft.

If you set the time/season of flight BEFORE you save it, you can start mid-air in vicinity of carrier. See note/pic below.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Interesting! I just went to NI as the carrier was leaving on Wednesday @12:38Z. Landed & taxied to the front of the ship, to see where we were headed. Suddenly the ship disappeared, so I backed up time and it was still there.

Same thing, on final, at the exact time I had just noticed, the ship disappeared, except a few scraps in the water. So apparently, once they leave port they just disappear.

Boy am I glad that never happened in the South China Sea in 1967-69!!

I think if someone wanted to write a software course for carriers, it'd be quite popular.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

This default FSX carrier is anchored southwest of the Golden Gate, the graphics are only basic but you can land and takeoff on it. It's not moving so you might want to add some wind for realism, the angled deck points at 70 degrees.

It doesn't show on the game map so you have to find it by eyeball.

You can create and save a flight that starts on it, let us know if you need advice how to do that-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-carrier-land_zpsc1335d61.jpg~original

PS- here's a useful thread about carrier operations and pretty pics and maps of the ones that move in FSX-

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?249165-fsx-acceleration-aircraft-carriers-aren-t-working

So apparently, once they leave port they just disappear.

No they don't. Read my post (#3) in this thread https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?249165-fsx-acceleration-aircraft-carriers-aren-t-working

Also note the remark: never save a "rendez-vous with a carrier" as default flight, as time will move on with system time. The carrier will be somewhere else.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

carrier_aground.jpg

The carrier that goes from San Francisco to San Diego runs aground at the start of its journey. There's a piece of land that sticks out and crosses its path. If you fast forward 5 minutes with "Time and Season", it continues its path on the other side otherwise it just sits there forever.

Hi Step,

I decided to check on the carrier problem with ORBX NorCal scenery. I saved a flight just prior to the carrier departure time a few miles south of the start position. No AI carrier at all. I disabled the Orbx scenery and after restarting the saved flight watched the carrier collide with the hillside. After circling I spotted another carrier arriving. I intercepted and landed on it in a 172. I switched aircraft and wanted to see if the carrier was still hung up and when I got to it I noticed that it had moved a bit forward. After messing around a bit more here's what I saw prior to landing on the hung up carrier while avoiding the trees:

2015-1-6_14-39-57-165.jpg

Jim F.

Found these references on the net, I haven't tried them myself-

For carrier operations ... two indispensable files: (From FSXMISSIONGUY) aicarriers2.zip (search the AVSIM file library for this filename) Link: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=112008 Allows you to place a carrier battle group below you.

USS Nimitz (Search AVSIM file library on this term) Part1: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=141093 Part2: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=141077

A free fully-functional working aircraft carrier with people and equipment on the deck (grapes, launchers, even a working elevator ...etc.)

Hi Step,

Don't recall where I got the Loach but the filename is OH-6Ax.zip. The documentation says it was modified for FSX by Glen Garden. I recall that I modified it slightly to remove a rear gunner. If you have trouble locating the file I can upload it and post the link.

Jim F.

You might check out Hovercontrol.com for the chopper. They are the premier helicopter site.

And never forget to have HTRv1.5 available and running, with the proper .cfg file selected. It make the helicopter fly "as real as it gets"! No better add-on for helo's, ever, anywhere. No frame rate hit, either. Just needs FSUIPC (unregistered version works fine). It's been vetted by real helicopter pilots and they heartily approve of it, also. Check the forums for details.

Just my 2c worth :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hey Step,

I was afraid I'd given you some bad info. I've been using one that I modified several years ago. When I checked my saved downloads the link I posted was the only OH-6 that I could find. I googled and located a link that seemed to describe more closely the version that I have. It's by Pete Conrad. Here's the link:

http://free.rikoooo.com:8888/dl/3917bc588df98c3eb48f70837209db75/54acba68/dl/hughes_oh-6_series_fsx.zip

This isn't the exact file that I'm using but it's based on the same original model.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Loaches are the Air Cav support helicopters for the Huey's in Apocalypse Now. Watching the movie got me interested in them.

Jim F.

Archived