Old and new, fresh project flight simulator.

Sim Pilot

Another important small detail! Thanks. I didn't know how to phrase myself in English, even google, if you can' word your correct (type the terminology correct) google don't show result.

My Garmin Quest (Old proper ones) can edit fields. Maybe I overlooked that as the altitude field can change meters and feet on the software. I can use my garmin, edit that field and read the position off the map... Just another route for this.

My GPS also gives inbound heading from a reference point that I used on my airport. On my Quest I just select aircraft from where car, bicycle, bus, truck whatever... options. Change fields for aviation, I fly with my GPS.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tour of FASH Stellenbosh. I think creating this visual reference points helps one to accept the airport as correct, even if there's a few faults. What you see on fly in and out and scenery according to the real thing. The fire base have the yellow De Havilland's and two of them parked at the right spot would add to realism.

My center Islands is smaller now to dodge the bushes. They should be wider.

https://youtu.be/EJ-2OovW3u0

A FS9 for this? Only FSX available as stationary objects.

Chipmunk 1.jpg

My airport at night...

FASH Night.jpg

I'll fine tune some more...

This is a nice converter. Shows a Google Map as well.

I find Ladismith at

S -33° 30' 37''

E 21° 15' 3'

In degrees:

Lat -33.51027778 Long 21.25083333

But, the FS Map does not fit 100% with Google Map.

I made a shipping route once for FS.

I used Google for the track. The ship ended up starting on the land and sailing into the water. So the world doesn't line up exactly.

I usually get the coordinates by flying somewhere in FS and copying the coordinates from the map.

(I say flying, but I just use the Map, and drag the black little plane to where I want it to be. Close map again and I'm there.)

I check if it's possible to take off from there.

I get the altitude from the altitude gauge in my aircraft.

And the coordinates from Map view in FS.

If the altitude is slightly off when instaling, I edit the airport later with ADE to fix that.

This is the converter.

I would use that Google Map there only as a starting point. To find a good spot in FS you will need to check that spot in FS.

https://www.latlong.net/degrees-minutes-seconds-to-decimal-degrees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct! I first look at the coordinates on the sim and then compare to real and adjust. I made my first official real time IFR flight from FASH to Ladismith. A few minor repairs needed.

1. Stellenbosh picks up the ILS vector of Cape Town Int and that indicate on the glide slope indicator. maybe to correct this, I can add ILS vectors to Stellenbosh... not sure.

2. At Ladismith ATC brought me in on a heading 298 (300) for runway 12. I suppose the fault or fix is to swap the runway starters.

3. Ladismith Aircraft position ( The red dot) needs replacement and aircraft stand 90 ' to runway on start-up.

Everything else works great, ATC, the communications on advisory... and generally I don't see other errors.

Happy new year... Best for '18.

FASH to Ladismith IFR.jpg

To fix -1- change the Ils frequency of your airport. Super easy with one of the midle menu's. I think 'Lists' menu.

sounds good. But will then have to redo taxi connection and runway link.

Better way: double-click runway start. Properties menu opens. Change properties from 12 to 30.

(and afterwards check ILS is still ok!)

(ps: I do not know if 'better' way is an option in properties. I'm not at my computer, so I can't check.)

-3- I don't understand.

I made new version of fa2l yesterday. Ils, rw-lights, some buildings, altitude (elevation) right. Looked good, but wrong location. Too close to johanesburg.

No problem though, making was pretty fast.

It looks good, and Ils worked. Was a nice practice run.

I will have a better look at location and make a final version.

Happy new year J!:)

see you in the next one.:D

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are some challenging difficult & dangerous approaches in the library here just do a search on "Doherty's" and you can download all 71 of them. Of course you can choose to select the aircraft, weather and time of day of your choice to make for a more enjoyable experience.

Larry

What I'm glad for, Is I have something where there was nothing. My biggest appreciation is that I did it myself to my own liking. I think that's very important rather to let someone create his own airport.

I should leave my little faults on the two airports as they have sentimental value. Creating a new one, go with as little faults as possible.

Today I'll start to create Eagle Creek, Centurion Johannesburg. I'll search for Doherty and static objects is easy to add to any of my created airports.

Doing the new one, I'll see to work out a formula for the coordinates to place airport correct from the get go.

Formula is to not care about skyvector.

That's real-world data. Fs is not.

Put your plane in the spot you want. Use the fs map for that, and then find a good spot by looking around.

When plane is in correct spot. In a notepad file write down heading and Elevation.

Go to map view in fs. Look at coordinates of plane on the left. Write coordinates down in the notepad file.

In to the site I have in the previous post. Enter the coordinates there. Click 'Convert'. It will contest them to decimal to give you the coordinates you need to put in in ADE.

At that site you can also have a look at the google map to compare. But that's not important.

It only matters if it's in the correct Fs location. In relation to other airports in fs and mountains and such.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great! Remake the airport as part of the tutorial. Maybe have the mods then move your tutorial to a new relevant thread and lock it. If it wasn't for your tut, I still would got no-where.

+1 on Eagle Creek. Screenshots. I flew there, and drove around following the coordinates. Real airport is next to a road, and on the real landscape slightly uphill.

I see the road and uphill and I can do the runway as no trees on that line. I inserted the altitude on the same screenshot.

The map show the spot. For ADE I can use the two airports on the map as reference. Once I placed the runway, just turn it to be parallel with the road.

FS9 EC Location and Alt.jpg

Eagle creek FS9 .jpg

SPOT ON COORDINATES...

Read the numbers or screen shot them.

In the field menu, select, DDM.

coordinates field.jpg

Type the coordinates exactly as on the sim...

It comes with default North and West... I just changes as follows...

S25*53.44 and E28*1.56

The * on shift 8. Type just like I wrote it.

Your airport placement will be perfect!

Are you sure?

I think the sim gives Degrees, minutes, seconds. (DMS) (4 separate numbers)

ADE in that setting is: Degrees, Decimal Minutes. (DDM)

That's different I think.

See the Wikipedia page I linked. It mentions Degrees, Decimal minutes too.

I think you would still need to convert.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ il88pp

I have an idea to test my theory. Give me only the coordinates of a airport you created before. Don't tell me the name or nothing... Just the coordinates according to your flight sim. Then I roughly place the runway... without fine tuning, and I go there.

From my instrument panel I select map and screen shot that. Then you can tell me how far it was off.

Thanks for testing it out.:)

Ok, I'll test that too then.

Sending you my coordinates might not work. You have FS2004 and I have FSX.

I'll just do a test myself. I will:

Go to a location.

Write down coordinates.

Leave fsx running, start ADE,

create new airport, using those coordinates. nothing in it yet,

click 'connect' in ADE,

If the coordinates are the same, I should then see my aircraft appear in ADE on the airport.

|

But won't test right now. Lot's to do.

And from your last message I see you tested carefully. So I'm in no rush to test for myself.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, Cool... The fault I recon is the fields setup in ADE is the wrong way around. You have only 2 fields to choose from. Now, I building in win 10 with XP software. This have an effect by the way the OS react to the software version.

I know and understand this form my other virtual hobby. The software needs to be for 32 or 64 for that OS. That's why I work now with 10 and 7 and can test it on XP as well... but the 2 PC's keeps me busy enough.

Initially the XMXML used in 10 is more the culprit. Most likely, in XP there would be none of this. Sadly I don't have a machine to run FSX. FSX SE is cheap enough in my country, but from reading posts, my pc's cant cope.

Now I can fix Table Mountain in FS9. It looked like a small hill. I over exaggerated a bit to see if it will work. Now I will start to make the ratios better make Signal Hill higher and create Devils Peak. I'll spend time to make Cape Town look like Cape Town in FS9.... This ADE is real rewarding software!

Table Mountain from Robben Island.jpg

Its not even fine tuned... and already looks way better. I'll definitely pend time with this and will try and do the entire Table mountain with one file.

CT2.jpg

Just adding original.... I'll get the perspectives better and the features that make table mountain what it should be... flying closer see the cliffs and the flat top...

Table Mountain as on sim.jpg

Archived