Old and new, fresh project flight simulator.

Sim Pilot

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks to "Anonymous" for your mail via my blog contact form. Thank you for the kind words. I will honor your request and many thanks for helping me! Awesome gift you gave me this time of the year in a time of giving... A gift of knowledge. Thank you soo much, I'm sure I'll get it right now!

My airport is somewhere... I had some morning as I played the local pipes for the Christmas service... My mind was not all there! My mind is with my airport. I.ve build my runway that is now a XML document in FS9 and going in to the regular airport or add-on's, it not visible. Maybe I need a little more help... please...

I created my runway using my car GPS coordinates... well more or less. I flew to my village, bush bashing my little virtual Cessna to get the sim altitude. More or less 2400 ft, 33.30715 and 21.15385 plus the odd numbers...

I turned my runway heading 30 and think that will be right as the opposite can only be 12. Just added a fuel station and beginning and end. Nothing else... O ja, and a VOR for 108,2.

Maybe if someone can just guide me what to to with the XML file to fly my airport?

Ladismith.png

XML Doc.png

Hi, I used FA1L FA South Africa 1 my own choice and L for Ladismith. So it's not showing in FS and the only reference I have on FS is the XML file. Going back into ADE, I dont think its creating my airport when I hit the create tab. A block with errors show.

What I basically did was to move Robertson airfield, Create the new runway on that, removed the orginal Roberson runway, changed the altitude and thats it.

From my obove post, I entered the info... Not sure if this would work?

Thanks for advice!

I copy and paste the xml content...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Maybe I can just add this. If you fly from FAOH there a beacon west of it BH with VOR 392,0. That beacon is half way. From the beacon fly towards the mountains... sort of following the road. The road curves through the mountains and our small town will appear. A little green spot with a few buildings and even the tower is on the sim. Awesome.

That was a bit confusing. Still not fully sure if it's actually your creation that is showing.

The file you install should not be an .xml file. It should be a .bgl file.

To create that: open your airport in ADE, and choose: "file"--"Compile Airport".

Airport ID -Must- be the 4 letter code only.

--

The airport must be installed in a folder in Addon scenery:

For example:

Addon scenery/Ladismith/scenery

Then that airport must be activated in FS2004.

Start FS2004, go to: scenery library, and selecta "Add Area". Then browse to the correct folder in the Window that pops up, to select it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, when testing just start the flight from your airport. Not by flying to it.

And, why are you creating this. When looking it up online I found no airport by that name.

Are you trying to create an airport that exists but is not in fs?

Or do you want to change an airport that exits in fs, but you think it is named wrong and looks wrong?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct, I want to create a airport that is not on the sim. Here is the google earth screenshot.Ladismith Runway B.jpg

It is our local strip. All I want is just the basic runway, 30/12, asphalt. No lights, taxiways and fancy stuff.

I got the temp Pro-key for 14 days and my first try was to move another airfield, FARS. That didn't work. Then I tried creating the new runway... I saved all my efforts as FA1L or FA2L and I figured the airport didn't "create". Here is a screenshot of the one I fried last night, showing the errors.

FA2L.jpg

I can't find tutorial for new airport... Only guys editing existent ones. I found the existent ones are almost perfect to the real and needs no changes.

Me, I'm no newbe to virtual stuff. I build as a hobby virtual organs that ends up pretty much a real organ. I build virtual church organs and play as a FREE-lance a real pipe organ. I can understand some software developers to protect their work wanting Dollars or Pounds, even expect a country with Junk status currency like ours, to pay for advice.... In Dollars or Pounds. Well, I can buy FSX-2nd Edition here for...

"Just a small recommendation here. Grab FSX:SE from steam instead. Its currently R269 but you will probably get it for half price next week during the Halloween sale."

Hmmm... I don't have a computer to run FSX.... ZAR 269 = less than USD 25 or Pound... Less than 10. I don't have that anyway!

Ok, back to my airport... Why would anyone be so protective not to help me create a runway in the middle of no-where that only I want?

Back to organs... I helped many people, all over the world, FOR FREE to build the interfaces needed to drive their virtual organs. OK, the fight between the software developers of the one stealing the others software has got nothing to do with me. What is offered free, I use. I acknowledge the commercial use licences on freeware.

It freaks me that I can build a midi controller to suit a software developers need and he can make changes to his software by my recommendation.

It freaks me that I can't place a runway on FS9!

Ok, I checked.

I created a similar airport, and tried to compile. To my surprise I got the same error.

The airport did npt get compiled. (and for me ADE never failed like that before.)

I tried compiling an older creation. I knew that airport was good.

But still, no compile.

I found out that not having MSXML4 installed, might cause this.

I had MSXML4, but reinstalled it just in case.

Still same error when compiling.

I found advice on the ADE site, by Jvile (member here also), that another thing that could interfere was FS2400 ATC Voicepack SDK.

The reason is that ATCvoicpack SDK uses an older version of MSXML, and that sets something so now ADE can't use the correct MSXML, but uses this one instead as well.

I had recently installed ATC Voicepack SDK. And never managed to do much with it anyway.

I uninstalled "ATC Voicepack SDK" from Add/Remove programs.

Still no compile.

I thought: "maybe first reinstall MSXML4 again?". Did that.

Compile successfull.

----

On a side note:

Your coordinates are wrong. THe ones you chose end up north of Libya, in the Mediterranian Sea.

You need to be at 33. South.

In ADE that is entered as: -33.

-----

The FS2004-SDK-Voicepack is not the same as Editvoicepack. That's a separate program. And I don't think to use Editvoicepack you need this installed.

I use FSX and in that there is no need for it.

In FS2004 there may be... not sure.

THe SDK is also not the sounds you hear in FS

The Voicepack SDK is the Software Development Kit (SDK) for creating voicepack files yourself.

Here's the page on the ADE site explaining the issue with file not compiling:

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/204895-what-do-i-do-if-i-get-compiler-error-c1003-failed-to-create-msxml-object

Here's the link for MSXML4

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15697

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And there is no need to replace robertson.

In ADE, just click "file"-"new airport".

To compile for FS9 there is no need for Makerunways or for the SDK.

The compiler for FS9 is included in ADE.

Settings in Xmltobgl are not needed for this either.

For FSX you would need to have the SDK installed. Because the compiler file is in that. The path to the compiler needs to be correct in ADE's "options"-Settings" menu.

If you install the FSX-SDK first, then reboot, and install ADEX after, that path should be set automatically in ADE.

If you install ADE first, and then the SDK, you need to assign the path manually.

That's all that's needed.

For FS2004, the compiler file is included in ADE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks il88pp... I want to apologize for my poorly written comment that was very bad wording... or phrasing done so from disappointment. I'll study your comments carefully to make sure I understand everything correct. Will do that tonight. Today the church organ build will hopefully find a new home as I need that money to buy the projector for my sim project. I also have a mail from Jon M. and maybe your help to my runway will help me placing together my fault and pass that on to Jon.

Thanks soo much. I'll study tonight but now I have to set up the church organ and focus on getting that organ demo ready.

I’ll work on my airfield tonight… but I want to share this with you here.

Software developer’s works hard to deliver a product at a very low price by his own currency. Even if he sells 10 units it comes nowhere close to the time, knowledge input. He needs to make his product partially free for the end user to purchase the full package.

I work with software developers as I put their work into reality… organs in my case. For private use and NOT the commercial market. I honour the freeware licence agreements and could have made a buck by selling an organ to a church that I didn’t or will never do.

One software developer needs to work with another to create the product. The two or more of them needs to come to an agreement. It’s the end user, you, to report glitches that can be sorted by the developers.

This happened for real. I combined two different free software to create a working product. The one developer wasn’t pleased, as he wants his product to work stand- alone.

I then suggested that he must then remove this freeware that he did. For another developer I suggested to make a change to his software to accommodate, the now created gap… that he did.

Both parties were happy and a South African in the middle of nowhere solved years of animosities. I’m very happy with that and framed my credits.

As I’m building my airfield, I make contact with the software developer. Ultimately, my FS9 would be used in a virtual simulator on a motion platform. The creation might lead to others that want to have the same. I need to create an airfield to operate from that is not standard.

Practical application. I’ll insert a photo.

1600 1200.jpg

The fire fighter pilot, fly from an airfield not on the simulator to an airfield not on the simulator. In real time his flight can now be calculated as well as each round he can fly with each water drop.

The simulator reflects the real event in real time. Our flight sim game is not a game anymore! It becomes a logistical necessity! Just like my virtual organ, a game, can lead a congregation in worship, so my flight simulator becomes a lifeline.

The airfield I want to create is not on the simulator, FS9 or FSX. Maybe Stellenbosh is on FSX, I don’t know. The updates do not give Ladismith airfield. (BTW, avcom didn’t accept my subscription… ) Who cares…

What then… I can invite the fire chief to my virtual room. Entertain him on my virtual organ and get down to the logistics of the requirement for air support to a fire crisis in our mountains.

After the fire chief I bring each and every fire fighter on the ground to my simulator. That person will start to understand the communication between ground and air control and the time lapses whereby they must act or react. In practise, after being in the simulator, the ground crew form an idea of the pilot’s situation. I create the mental thinking behind the logistics.

So, I need to create 2 airfields for my sim and got 14 days to do that. Then my Pro-key expires. If this doesn’t make sense to you, I’m amazed. My stupid little idea, might just save a life, just like my stupid virtual organ can lead a congregation in worship.

Tonight, I want to sit with this airfield till I get it, even if it hangs partially in the air.

A request, and don't take this the wrong way.

Pleas stop talking about pipe organs. All very interesting, but it confuses the whole discussion. It has nothing to do with the airport.

Then, also, nobody is trying to stop you from creating an addon airport for fs2004.

If the airport doesn't compile, it's because of something wrong in the software setup on your pc.

It's perfectly ok to create an addon with ADE. The .bgl file will just contain the placement of a runway and other objects. Not the objects themselves, they are in FS already. Only the placement of them.

And to install you don't replace a default airport. You install your creation in the addon scenery folder. You will then see it in FS2004. The default airport stays installed, but hidden out of the way. All automatically. No changes to default files are needed.

---

Many files people created for FS are freeware. But there is still copyright on them. Please respect that.

You are allowed to use those files, install them, and enjoy.

But not to edit and share with others and such.

Some you can edit for personal use. But not upload the result or share the result of those edits. As most of it wasn't really created by you.

Of course you can tell others where to find the files you downloaded, so they can download them too.

It's the creator's/developer's choice what copyright they put on it and theirs alone.

If you create an addon airport from scratch, or use ADE to enhance a default airport you can share that as you see fit.

You can upload it to the library here if you want and place any kind of copyright on it that you want. Either something restrictive, or instead post it as public domain or open source. Your choice. If in doubt if sharing is OK, just ask.

Please stop saying 'we' are trying to stop you from doing things. We're trying to help.

Also, reading this whole discussion, it sounds as if you are talking to someone. ("anonymous"?). But you are the only one posting. What's that about? It someone sending you e-mails? Posting the reply's here is very confusing. Please explain.

All just friendly advice. Nothing more. And no need to in on the defensive.

Focus on getting your airport made, and on having fun. Be positive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes right and you are right! I'm getting a lot exited, to be honest. Someone did mail me about how to get started. Tonight I'm going to create my airfield from your advice and links. I think I have the bad habit to "overflow".

You have certainly give the answers to my questions. I have think to start fresh from working on the win 7 pc as well. Win 10 also creates its own little interests. I'll do a fresh install of the software in win 7 and carefully follow the steps and guides.

Sometimes my ideas works and sometimes thy don't... but one thing is for sure, this effort to create a airport proves a real challenge and I think the outcome... the sense of accomplishment would be worth it all.... as this aint easy! I' glad I didn't give up a few days ago!

Be positive... I like that!

I just finished creating an addon for ladismith.

Here's a step by step, in pictures.

Some Notes here and there mixed in.

Properties. These work, but use the coordinates you found. (and don't forget - sign for SOuth of equator)

(The coordinates I used are not great.)

1 properties

1 properties.jpg

Add a Runway. Set length and orientation:

2 runway properties.jpg

Add the runway start on each end:

3 add runway-starts.jpg

Add a Runway-Link from one Start to the other. (runway link will look like black line.)

Runway link needs to be there. Also used to connect the taxiways to.

4 add runway-link from one start to the other.jpg

Add short bits for beginning of taxiway network. First only extending a short bit from the runway.

Make sure they connect to the rnway link you added. Hover over the runway link so it changes colour, click, and drag the taxiline out from there.

5 add beginning of taxi network.jpg

Complete the taxi network

6a

6a complete the taxi network.jpg

6b

6b complete the taxi network.jpg

Add an Apron shape. Once the shape is done, double click it's edge-line to fixate it.

7 add an apron.jpg

Create a few parking spots. Select the type of spot. Then select "Gate and click where you want to add them.

8 add gates for parking.jpg

--wait for next post--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Select the "pointer" icon, then click the spots and zoom in. there will be a small yellow spot that you can use to rotate them and orient them correctly. (Zoom in with scroll wheel if needed.)

9 rotate the gates.jpg

Connect the spots to the taxi network with "Apron links".

10 connect with Apron-Links.jpg

Create a "Fuel Trigger" so you can refuel. Works the same as adding a Gate.

Connect it to the taxi network too.

11 Add and connect Fuel-Trigger.jpg

Same for a vehicle spot. So you can see fuel trucks and such at the airport.

I usually add it somewhare away from the parking spots for aircraft. Because there will often be a fuel truck parked there, and those can make a lot of noise if they are close to you.

12 Add Vehicle-Spot.jpg

Then select "Tools"--"Fault Finder" and check for faults.

It will find spots where taxiways are not connected together properly. And other things. Allowing you to correct them.

13a

13a check with Fault-Finder.jpg

13b

13b check with Fault-Finder.jpg

Last Step, create a polygon around the Airport.

Then double-click the line of the polygon to fixate it.

The select: Flatten--Exclude Autogen.

(If you forget that, the runway will be half covered underground. Runways are flat, ground is not.)

13c Polygon

13c add exclusion area.jpg

13d Flatten and Exclude autogen

13d Flatten and exclude autogen.jpg

Then save. I would suggest creating a folder to save in. Away from FS2004 folder. On the Desktop is fine. Save as .ad4 file.

14 save the airport in separate folder.jpg

--more follows--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then "File-Compile" and click Options in the screen that pops up. Select the same folder there. So again, do Not compile it directly to the FS2004 folders.

16 when compiling first select folder.jpg

17 when compiling first select folder.jpg

18 when compiling first select folder.jpg

19 when compiling first select folder.jpg

20 when compiling first select folder.jpg

Compiling will create two files. The _cvx file is for the Flatten-exclude autogen.

Just move them to the correct place when installing it manually.

The file(s) to install will be .bgl file(s).

21 Result on desktop - bgl file to instal:

21 result on desktop - bgl file to install.jpg

Install the Files in a folder you create in folder:

FS2004 A century of Flight/Addon scenery/

Name the folder you create: FA2L Ladismith

22a

22a create folder in Addon scenery.jpg

In "FA2L Ladismith" create a folder called /scenery

22b

22b-FA2L Ladysmith.jpg

and put the .bgl files in there.

22c

22c scenery.jpg

(This is how that looks in my FSX folder. Works the same way in FS2004.)

--more follows--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---------------------

Then you will need to "Activate" the scenery. In the "Scenery Library" in FS2004.

Start FS2004 and select "Settings-Scenery library"

Then click "Add area" and follow the prompts.

Here's how that looks in FSX, in FS 2004 the menu looks a little different, but works the same.

Before I explain, there's one VERY important thing to remember.

When you have added something to the Scenery Library list, and you want to uninstall the airport again.... DO NOT SIMPLY REMOVE THE FILES AND FOLDER FROM YOUR PC. And do not rename folders in /Addon scenery

when they have already been added to the Scenery Library.

If you would simply delete files and folder, or rename folder, from: /Addon Scenery

FS2004 will throw an error about it every time you start FS2004. It will complain there is a missing Area. And that is hard to fix.

You must FIRST go to the scenery library list again, select the Area, and click "Remove Area". Click OK to make it stick, and then close FS2004.

Only then can you remove the folder with the airport. (though there is really no need as the files won't be loaded by FS any more.

Removing is only usefull if you have a small harddisk and want to make room. Though these files are not big at all.)

Ok, with that clear, here's how to Activate an Airport.

Settings--Scenery Library.

23 SETTINGS - SCENERY LIBRARY.jpg

Select Add Area

24 select Add Area.jpg

In Window that pops up doubleclick Addon Scenery folder:

25 in Window that pops up doubleclick Addon Scenery folder.jpg

Double-click the folder you created:

26 Double click the folder you created.jpg

Don't open folder "scenery". only click on "OK":

27 Don't open folder scenery, only click on OK.jpg

Then click in the White Area in the centre:

28 Then click in the White Area in the centre.jpg

Ladismith will now be in the Scenery Library List:

29 Ladismith will now be in the Scenery Library List.jpg

Click "OK" and the library will be rebuilt:

30 Click -OK- and the library will be rebuilt.jpg

Done.

Set up a flight, and select your airport just like you would any other airport:

31 Set up a flight, and select your airport just like you would any other airport.jpg

Go Fly!:D

--more follows--

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The result (in the location I had chosen)

32 The result (with my location).jpg

33 Result.jpg

34 result.jpg

( !! remember, when uninstalling files, First remove Area in Scenery Library List. Important !!

Adding: The same is true for Renaming the folder with the airport in it. Don't rename folders in /Addon Scenery, or FS2004 will throw the error about a missing Area. )

Another Note:

I did not define a province or county for Ladysmith.

Only the Country, South Africa, and city Ladysmith.

I checked FS, and none of the South African airports had a province or county defined. Only Country and City.

So I did not Define (make up) one either. Making up a province or county that doesn't exist in FS yet sometimes makes selecting the airport much more difficult.

--------------------------

--------------------------

One more addition. About "Delete Area" from scenery library before deleting files:

If you are finished creating this arport. But then make some more edits. And create a second version of Ladismith there is a shortcut for installing.

You don't need to "fully uninstall" the first version first.

You can either:

Remove the check mark from the first version in the library only. And leave the files where they are. Not deleting.

Then Install the new one, in it's own folder. (For example: /Addon Scenery/FA2L Ladismith_v2/scenery )

And activate that.

You will then see your new version. And FS won't throw an error about missing Area.

Or:

Close FS2004

Go into the already existing folder /FA2L Ladismith/scenery

Rename the exixting file FA2L_ADEX_xx.bgl to FA2L_ADEX_xx_v1.bgl.bak

( .bak disables it)

Then Install your new compiled file.

(If the new compile gave a new _CVX file. replace the old one in the same way.)

Now done, enjoy!

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived