Moving Throttle Controls in 747

pdmike

You are better off not using the "engine shutdown" command. A few posts ago I explained why.

Just close the fuel levers to shut it down. Use the ones in the 3d cockpit, on the throttle quadrant there.

Better yet, assign keys to the shortcuts.

I have contr+1 for fuel valve 1, and so on till contr+4.

Also assign keys for engine starters. Starter1: contr+shift+1

Starter2: contr+shift+2

and so on untill 4.

Assign Control+shift+F1 to: "mixture, idle cutoff"

so it matches the other mixture commands like contr+shift+ F2, F3, and F4.

With that set up you can shutdown and restart perfectly.

And without the trouble that the "engines shutdown" keystroke command causes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are better off not using the "engine shutdown" command. A few posts ago I explained why.

Just close the fuel levers to shut it down. Use the ones in the 3d cockpit, on the throttle quadrant there.

Better yet, assign keys to the shortcuts.

I have contr+1 for fuel valve 1, and so on till contr+4.

Also assign keys for engine starters. Starter1: contr+shift+1

Starter2: contr+shift+2

and so on untill 4.

Assign Control+shift+F1 to: "mixture, idle cutoff"

so it matches the other mixture commands like contr+shift+ F2, F3, and F4.

With that set up you can shutdown and restart perfectly.

And without the trouble that the "engines shutdown" keystroke command causes.

Got it. Will do.

Maybe that's because of the planes you fly zippy. Maybe they have certain gauges my planes are missing?

I'll explain the issue with default "Contr SHift F1" tha tI see.

Auto engine shutdown"

not only closes fuel valves and starters,

but also things like the following commands:

mixture full idle,

master generator on/off

Generator alternator (toggle)

and probably some more.

These commands are all toggle,

in the jets (b737, a321, lear, fighters, whether addon or default)

these commands have no switches and or indicators on the panel and vc.

This means that when starting out with a shut down plane you can't see if these are in the ON or OFF position.

You could try using the keyboard shortcuts, but you still wouldn't know what "position" the "switches" are in after a keypress.

With so many commands involved, setting up the right circumstances to make the engine start with the starter would be a lucky guessed combination.

Some of the commands don't even make any sense, for example "mixture full idle " in a jet.

So maybe in a plane that has switches for all this, you could cause a good engine start.

In things like Jets, and actually many prop planes as well, you would not be able to restart the engine after a shutdown. (Unless you remembered every key you 'Blindly' pressed to shut it down.

In that situation of blindly usingf keypresses hoping for the best, the only way to guarantee engine startup after "auto engine shutdown" would be to press for (auto engine start).

Again a command that does many things you can't see.

The way you do a controlled shutdown, where ou can see what you did, and reverse it is to just close the fuel valves.

To restart all you need to do would be to do is open the fuel valves again, and run the starters.

If you feel otherwise mr zippy, I would be glad:D:) to hear what you do to manually restart after "auto engine shutdown". (So without using .)

Also please mention what aircraft you use.

I'd also be most interested in your results in the 737. That's the one I fly most.

The little test I mean is:

do contr shift F1

then open fuel valves and try starters, (don't think that will work)

then use the right blind shortcuts to make it start up with the starter.

report back.;):cool:

:)have a good one, il.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the procedure I use for my POSKY 737-800. This is the only one I modified after the work you did a while ago with the 2D panel switches.

From cold and dark:

1.. Turn on the battery

2. make sure both fuel levers are in the down position.

3. Left engine start..GRD-FLT switch to FLT position and, for the fun of it, ign switch to the left.

4. left engine spools to about N1 of 2.6 and then flip up the fuel lever and engine ignites.

5. Turn the GRD-FLT switch back to GRD and the start valve is shut off.

6 Turn on Left generator switch.

Rinse and repeat for right engine. Add thrust and taxi a ways down the runway and stop.

Press my keys for "auto engine shutoff, turn off generators and battery and move fuel levers down.

Press Ctrl+shift+f4 to make sure mixture is full rich for next engine startup.(important step!)

Go through the same engine startup procedure listed above.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thank you!!

I hadn't thought of those overhead things.

I think in some plane that doesn't work either. (maybe depending on gauges, thinking of 2d panels.)

I can't remember fixing a Posky starter gauge... or vc or something?

Could you point me to the thread?

I was wondering if you are using overhead switches on the default 737 panels in it. Or of the VC. (FSX model or FS9, that kind of thing.)

Must admit, got busy fixing something else. Can't take my eye off that now. But will check procedure you noted and try it in several planes.

Thanks again!

il88pp.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you!!

I hadn't thought of those overhead things.

I think in some plane that doesn't work either. (maybe depending on gauges, thinking of 2d panels.)

I can't remember fixing a Posky starter gauge... or vc or something?

Could you point me to the thread?

I was wondering if you are using overhead switches on the default 737 panels in it. Or of the VC. (FSX model or FS9, that kind of thing.)

Must admit, got busy fixing something else. Can't take my eye off that now. But will check procedure you noted and try it in several planes.

Thanks again!

il88pp.:)

POSKY 737-800 uses the same 2d and VC as the default version.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?295474-737-Default-Cockpit/page3

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Ah, yes. That thread.

I forgot a Posky thread led up to it, as I eventually posted the result in a combined post. (In the panel and Gauges forum.)

There I called it a default 737 VC fix.

Thanks.

It does sort of prove the point that "multi function shortcuts" (and "multi function gauges") can make things pretty tricky.

But I must of course admit you're right that after "engines auto shutdown" things are (sometimes) possible.

Thanks much Zippy,:D

il.

What would nicely clean all these hassles is creating a few new gauges for the commands that are now invisible. Gen master, ignition, etc, etc.)

(I haven't come across existing ones. Creating basic ones shouldn't be too difficult. make a few switches, popup panel. That would show the position of the switches, and take away the guesswork.)

I have that on my to do list for a while now, but never managed to get round to it. Will let you know if/when I do.)

il out.;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived