Anyone flying into the hurricane?

CRJ_simpilot

With hurricane Harvey making landfall onto Texas, I think I might fly into it with my F-22 just for fun. Apparently, ASE has a hurricane setting so this should be interesting. I'm hoping the Alphasim F-22 I have will work in FSX. It was made for FS2004, and if I can remember right it did work I think. I want to use the F-22 because it has massive power in case of a stall, etc.

Over the past 3 days, I've flown 4 flights between CRP and HOU in the Beech Baron 58. No big problems. I do know that in real life, the control tower and weather stations at CRP shut down from late yesterday until this morning. Biggest problem was taxiing at the airport in 30kt cross-winds, but managable. No problems in the air, even when flying througt the "eye of hurricane Harvey".

No need for an F-22 to fly into a Hurricane. C-130s and P-3s do that all the time.

Yeah, but don't they fly up and over though? Last night the winds were about 130 MPH. You simply can't fly head on into that like I want to.

Last night I was testing my F-22 and it didn't work, but I did find an updated Alphasim F-22 for FSX that is free and I have been modifying it. So that took all night. I still have to modify the xml code for the AP gauge since you can only program FL30 and this bird is capable of FL65. Also, the mach hold only goes to 1.99 and this plane can go well beyond that. I did modify that gauge for my FS2004 version.

This new version for FSX never had a beacon or strobes as well so I added that and a waaaay better PFD and realistic audio. Trying now to retrofit a TCAS into the GPS. I have that in my Lear 45. I also added my "nuke" button to simulate dropping a nuke. It uses an effect and works off the taxi light. Since this current F-22 only has landing lights, I can use the Taxi light switch for the Nuke. And I labeled it as such. Sonic boom gauge dropped my FS though. Must have been an old gauge. Might see if there's an updated version for FSX.

Many years ago, a couple of us used multiplayer and set ourselves in Cubs in the middle of an area experiencing a hurricane (this was probably back in the FS-2004 days.) The planes would take off and fly with no power, and the struggle was to get safely back to the ground.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Archived