Crater Lake In mid June

A few weeks ago while traveling by car from Kentucky to Washington State and back I was honored to spend time with two long time friends of mine Phantom Tweak and Miss Ghost. They live near Chiloquin State Airport (2S7). While I can't pass a flight physical and RW fly anymore, I did make a car trip from 2S7 to Crater Lake. After returning home I simmed a trip from 2S7 to Crater Lake and back. And though this isn't among the better shown areas on ORBX Global, the weather is correct.

After leaving 2S7 in 80+ degrees F. I'm flying North to Crater Lake.

1jp.jpg

2jpg.jpg

3jp.jpg

4jp.jpg

5jp.jpg

Upon arrival at Crater Lake it's obvious that summer hasn't arrived at this altitude yet! In fact while RW driving around in my car, I discovered 2/3s of the roads were still closed because of the heavy snow!!

6jp.jpg

7jp.jpg

8jp.jpg

I was just told I'd maxxed out this post so I'll do a response

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yes, that's some great pic's, Michael. Very nice post.

Thanks for putting it up, and for mentioning our super duper, ultra active, hugely international airport :rolleyes: :p

I am being facetious, in case y'all can't tell ;)

Having said that, trust me, MSFS and OrbX don't hold a candle to the Crater Lake's beauty. Truly impressive, and the perfect name. It's the crater of a DORMANT (not extinct!) volcano, that blew it's top a few thousand years ago. Kinda like St. Helens, but more symmetrical :D

It's very, very deep, and has some unique fish in it. The volcano gives little jiggles now and them, although no rumblies yet. I figure, I live so close to it, when it goes off again, I'll never know it. Can you imagine that volume of water vaporizing all at once? WHOOOOEEEE.

Mt. Shasta, which I went up when I was much younger, is also fairly close. We can see it on a fairly nice day. I figure, as long as the snow stays on it, it's not going to go boom too soon.

The town of Chiloquin it's self is one of the, if not the, longest continually inhabited village in North America. Archaeology has determined about 11-12,000 years. Would never think it to see it though :D

Ok, ok, I'll shut up, sorry for babbling.

Thanks again, Rupert! Great post :pilot:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

OK! Dummy me! The problem wasn't that I was posting too many pictures. It was that one picture was too large to post. :o:o

So now we'll continue the trip across Klamath Water to touchdown at Chiloquin State.

9jp.jpg

10jp.jpg

11jp.jpg

12jp.jpg

13jp.jpg

14jp.jpg

15jp.jpg

16jp.jpg

17pg.jpg

Rsnow.jpg

Yes, there is still lots of snow at Crater lake in late June! And yes, not wanting to miss any scenery, I did travel the whole area with the top and windows down. (And the heater on high of course!!);)

2s7.jpg

And 2s7 is a real world airport. And both it and Crater Lake are much more attractive than they look in FS!! Perhaps Crater Lake could be a candidate for a ORBX Global Freeware update????:cool::cool:

Thanks for looking and commenting!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Eye candy shots, well done Michael, A+

Khalid

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived