Around the world in 175 days.

For some reason when I landed the engines stopped and I could not restart them. So I switched aircraft, now using the G-44 in US Navy colors, did a quick refuel and was off. The weather was now calm, 3.1 mile visibility with clouds at 1800 feet. We were now back in the air and off for Calcutta India, now called Kolkata. Apparently it was always pronounced that way and in 2001 the spelling was officially changed to match. This time we flew at 1500 feet on compass heading directly for the city of Kolkata. As we few over the Bay of Bengal the weather improved and we soon had blue skies again. Once over the city we found the main river and headed north to the Barrackpore Air Force Station. Since I was in the amphibian we landed in the Hooghly River right next to the airport. Again the engines stopped and I could not restart them, but since I did not need to go further it was ok. The 334 nm flights had taken 2.5 hours of flying.

At this point I have finished what they called the “Third Division” of the flight. I have flown 11024 nm with 81.3 hours of flight time. Based on start dates I am 10 days ahead of them.

Normally I do 8 images per flight, since I am combining two legs I did 6 from each, here they are.

wc.3.14.7.jpg

Switch to the Navy paint scheme.

wc.3.14.8.jpg

Off into the fog.

wc.3.14.9.jpg

Glamour shots.

wc.3.14.a.jpg

Flying over the country side.

wc.3.14.b.jpg

Over Kolkata, think I will land in the river near the airport.

wc.3.14.c.jpg

Landed.

Thanks again for reading, as always your comments are welcome.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 1, 1924: Much work had to be done to overhaul there aircraft for the next part of the journey. After discussion with local officials it was decided that they could move there aircraft to a park in the center of Calcutta called the Maiden. There under the shade of the trees they would do the needed work including swapping the floats for wheels, installing larger radiators, repainting the fabric, scraping off grease and on and on. Even though the engines needed replacing they decided to send them on to Karachi instead so they could get through the monsoon regions as soon as possible. While they were in Calcutta they stayed in the Great Eastern Hotel, Smith as flight leader was assigned luxurious suite of rooms so large and posh he asked Arnold to join him there so he did not feel so unaffordable. On the night of June 29, after yet another dinner hosted in there honor, Smith fell into a hole in the walkway and fell heavily on the ground, he was in intense pain but refused to admit it until the next morning when a British doctor examined him and found he had a broken rib. They taped him up and although still in obvious pain he was determined that they would leave on schedule July 1. The flight to Allahabad was relatively pleasant, the planes handled much easier without the large floats and the weather was not as bad as their previous few flights. They followed the Hooghly river, crossed the plains of Bengal and eventually reached the large RAF flying field outside of Allahabad after six and a half hours of flying.

August 26, 2017: For the next leg of the flight I will be using the Bristol Beaufighter. The Beau first flew in 1939, intended as a heavy fighter it proved its worth in many roles. Almost 6000 were built before production ended in 1946. The version I am using today was made by Dave Garwood and the CBFS team and is one of my favorites. My flight stated in excellent weather, few clouds at 12000 feet, light winds and a temperature of 28C. Heading west toward Allahabad at 3000 feet, eventually the clouds built and visibility dropped to about 4 miles. We descended to 1500 feet to stay under them and followed a compass heading until we found the Sone River, there was a ridge of hills on the far side of that so we followed the river until the ridge ended and at about the same place the clouds lifted and we were able to climb again to a safe altitude and continue to Allahabad Airport. Alas a safe landing was not in order because P3D registered a crash into some invisible object as we crossed the runway threshold, but FSA still recorded it as a flight to the right destination so that’s good enough for me, I did go back and capture a shot of the AC on the ground to finish the sequence. The 397 nm flight took 1.7 hours of flying.

Here are some images from the flight.

wc.4.1.1.jpg

Ready for Takeoff.

wc.4.1.2.jpg

Heading out of the plains.

wc.4.1.3.jpg

Glamour shots.

wc.4.1.4.jpg

Weather closing in.

wc.4.1.5.jpg

Following the river Sone.

wc.4.1.6.jpg

Weather cleared.

wc.4.1.7.jpg

On final.

wc.4.1.8.jpg

Secured.

Thanks for reading, ATB.

A fun historical fact I forgot to mention. After the crash of Major Martin and Sergeant Harvey in Alaska, Sergeant Ogden was the only enlisted man left on the flight. When they were in Japan Smith cabled Washington stating his lack of rank was causing some embarrassing problems. When the arrived in Shanghai, a cable was waiting from them from General Patrick promoting Ogden to 2nd Lieutenant. For the rest of the flight they never stopped kidding Lieutenant Ogden about his "Social Promotion".

Carry on.

July 2, 1924: At 7:30 that morning, the flyers were off for the 480 mile flight to the city of Ambala, where the Royal Air Force had its main base on the Indian Frontier. Along the way they passed near Agra, home of the Taj Mahal, and the city of Delhi, crossroads of the ancients. During the flight New Orleans engine developed a leak in one of the cylinder jackets. Nelson asked the British for help finding a new one. The RAF quickly volunteered to get them a new one airlifted from from there supply depot in Lahore, where they had a stock pile of 2000 liberty engines with parts. The plane carrying it unfortunately crashed but the pilot was unhurt. He rented a bullock cart to take him to the closest town where he could then get a train to take him the rest of the way. By 3am he had arrived so Nelson and Harding could install it the next morning.

August 30, 2017: For the next flight we will be using the Curtiss C-46 Commando. Introduced in 1941, the C-46 started as the Curtiss CW-20, intended to compete with the new Douglas DC-4 and Boeing Stratoliner, it had a pressurized hull and was powered by two 2000 hp R-2800 engines. Compared to the DC-3 it could fly higher and carry a heavier payload but was more complex to maintain and cost 50% more to operate. 3181 were built before production ended in 1945. After the war it did not do well in its intended role as a passenger aircraft but saw success in cargo operations, used by the USAF till 1968 and some are still in service with civilian operators. The model I am using today was recently released by Aeroplane Heaven and is quite nice.

Weather for the flight was good, 8 knot winds with few clouds at 3000 feet and a temperature of 28.5C/83F. Flying at 3000 feet I was not sure what river or landmarks the original they followed so we first set a course for the city of Agra. We few around till we spotted and few over the Taj Mahal then headed for our final destination of Ambala. The flight was uneventful and we landed after flying 395 nm in 2.2 hours. Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.4.2.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

Glamour Shots!

wc.4.2.3.jpg

Cruising.

wc.4.2.4.jpg

Flying over India.

wc.4.2.5.jpg

Site seeing.

wc.4.2.6.jpg

Nothing to see here, move along.

wc.4.2.7.jpg

Our destination.

wc.4.2.8.jpg

Secured.

July 3, 1924: That night in Ambala the temperature stayed between 102 and 106 and the flyers got very little sleep despite the Indian servants waving “Punkas” over them all night. The British pilots, concerned about the Americans and there flying suits gave them RAF pith helmets and British shorts and light shirts which the fliers would use until they left the desert countries. In the morning they left for Multan and climbed to 6000 feet to escape the heat, following the railroad tracks to guide them. They soon encountered a sandstorm that completely obscured both the earth and the railroad, they descended to 50 feet to keep the tracks in sight. The sand stung their eyes and sifted through their clothes. They flew right over Multan without seeing it, when Smith noticed they had passed the airport they returned to the area, made several passes over head and landed. Once they had parked there planes the men had difficulty getting out of there planes. As Colonel Butler, the British commander, shook the hand of each of the lobster-red faces, bloodshot eyed man, he handed them a glass of Ice cold lemonade that Arnold wrote was one of the most delicious drinks in his life.

September 2, 2017: For the next flight I got ready the Hawker Typhoon. Designed as a successor to the Hawker Hurricane but had several design problems that delayed its introduction. When the FW-190 was introduced the Typhoon was the only aircraft that could catch it at low altitude and the Tiffy went on to become one of the most successful ground attack aircraft of WW2. The aircraft I am using today as recently released by Aeroplane heaven and is very nice. With it I am using the ‘Silver Bullet’ repaint by Peter Watkins. The flight to Multan, Pakistan started with great weather, 5 knot winds, Scattered clouds at 8800 feet and a temperature of 25.5C/78F. The flight was fairly easy, flying at 4000 feet, the Typhoon made short work of the 280 nm flight, cruising at just over 300 knots. Things were going well until 15 miles from the destination the visibility dropped to about 4 miles and I had difficulty finding the airport, I actually few over it before spotting it and circling back to make a safe landing. The trip had taken 1 hour to complete. Here are some pics.

wc.4.3.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

wc.4.3.2.jpg

Flying out over Ambala.

wc.4.3.3.jpg

Glamour Shots.

wc.4.3.4.jpg

Flying over the Indian countryside. Does not look much like desert.

wc.4.3.5.jpg

Selfie!

wc.4.3.6.jpg

Nice flying weather.

wc.4.3.7.jpg

Visiblity drops as we get close to Multan.

wc.4.3.8.jpg

Safely on the ground.

July 4, 1924: It was 120 degrees in Multan; Arnold thought the name should be Molten instead. The reporter Wells who was following the flight reported that “No sensible person would ever go there voluntarily” and “only the constant threat of revolt by fanatical, unfriendly Indians makes the place endurable”. They were off the ground a 6am headed for Karachi. They flew over the Sind Desert this time there were no sand storms although they could see them swirling in the distance. They were cruising at 4000 feet to escape the heat when about a hour out of Karachi the engine in New Orleans started to rattle and bang as if it was coming apart. White smoke trailed the aircraft as oil spewed dpwm the sides of the engine and pieces of the engine itself started being ejected from under the cowling and ripping holes in the fabric of the aircraft. But the engine continued to respond and Nelson later reported that it continued “to run very nicely on eleven cylinders” He was able to nurse it all the way to the RAF field in Karachi, home of the best repair depots in the world at that time.

September 3, 2017: For the next leg I got ready the Grumman TBF Avenger. The Avenger first flew in 1941 and was designed as torpedo bomber, first seeing action at the Battle of Midway, and despite the fact that 5 of the 6 Avengers there were lost, it survived in service to become one of the outstanding torpedo bombers of World War II. Greatly modified after the war, it remained in use until the 1960s. Over 9800 were built. The aircraft I am using today was made by Vertigo Studios and is nice but the engine is a bit touchy if you run it at full power for too long. The weather was not the best when I started, 4 knot winds, 3.1 mile visibility, and scattered clouds at 4000 with a temperature of 33C/91C. We started off at 2000 feet to keep the ground in view but the clouds soon cleared up and we had great visibility. I climbed to 4000 feet and followed the Indus river valley, the clouds got a bit thicker as we approached the coast and we dropped to 2000 feet to stay under them but visibility stayed good. At some point I accidently hit the throttle lever on the joystick and before I knew it the engine was stuttering and trailing white smoke behind it, I decreased the throttle and tried to keep it in the air long enough for the engine to cool down and keep flying, almost crashed a couple times it finally recovered and I was able to follow the coast to Masroor Air Base in Karachi. The 398 nm flight took 3.1 hours of flying. Here are a few pics:

wc.4.4.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

wc.4.4.2.jpg

The visiblility is a little limited.

wc.4.4.3.jpg

Glamour shots over the River Indus.

wc.4.4.4.jpg

Following the Indus River Valley.

wc.4.4.5.jpg

You can see the desert beyond.

wc.4.4.6.jpg

Finally reached the coast.

wc.4.4.7.jpg

Karachi and my destination.

wc.4.4.8.jpg

Landed.

July 7 1924: In Karachi the flyers were hosted to a dinner by the RAF officers, the first time they had dinner with ladies* present since leaving the states, in a speech the base commander reminded them they had traveled 12,577 miles since leaving Seattle, father than anyone before, but still had over 14000 to go. With the help of the British mechanics they spent two days replacing the engines on there three aircraft, they worked during the day and spent the evenings having dinners at the homes of various British officials. The morning of July 7 they were up at 3am for breakfast and were in the air by 6:30 for Chahabar Persia (now Iran). They flew over sand, ancient lava flows and mountains which Arnold described as the “most lonesome, barren and desolate place imaginable”. Shortly after noon they crossed into Persia and descended on a small port city on the Gulf of Oman.

* I assume 'Ladies' means upper class women of European extraction.

September 7, 2017: For the next flight we will be using the Consolidated B-24. As I am sure you all know, the B-24 is a four engine bomber that first flew in 1939. Designed with a efficient high aspect ratio Davis wing, the B-24 could had a high cruise speed, long range and a heavy bomb load at the expense of being difficult to fly and having poor low speed performance. While the aircrews preferred the B-17, the general staff preferred the B-24 and it was produced in very large numbers, over 19000 were built making it the most produced multi engine American military aircraft in history. The aircraft I am using today was produced by Virtavia and despite being a FSX model works well in P3Dv4. It’s a bit difficult to fly but once you remove the bomb payload it becomes much easier. My flight to Chabahar was pretty easy, weather was good, 9 knot winds with scattered clouds at 3000 feet and a temperature of 27.8C/82F. We flew at 4000 feet along the coast of the Gulf of Oman and landed at Konarak Airport, the 358 nm flight had taken 2.2 hours.

One historical note, after crashing in Alaska, Sergeant Harvey completed flight training in 1926 and was commissioned as an officer. In September 1941 he flew over 3150 miles in a B-24 to carry a lend-lease delegation to Moscow, he then continued around the world through India, Australia, Wake island and Hawaii,

Here are a few pics from the flight.

wc.4.5.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

wc.4.5.2.jpg

Engines running.

wc.4.5.3.jpg

Airbourn.

wc.4.5.4.jpg

Check the gauges.

wc.4.5.5.jpg

Selfie!

wc.4.5.6.jpg

Along the gulf of Oman.

wc.4.5.7.jpg

Glamour shots.

wc.4.5.8.jpg

Landed

July 7, 1924: In Chahabar they were met by a representative of the Indo-European telegraph company who had arranged there supplies. The fliers quickly refueled there aircraft as they ate the sandwiches supplied by the wife of the British. They were in the air again at 2:35 for Bandar Abbass. The four hour flight was uneventful and when they landed in Bandar Abbass they were greeted by Mr Richardson, the British Consul who had volunteered to act as there advance agent in the area.

September 8, 2017: For the next flight we will be using the Supermarine Spitfire. As I am sure you all know the Spitfire was the star fighter of the RAF for most of World War 2. First flying in 1936 the Spitfire was produced in greater numbers than any other British aircraft and the only British fighter to be in continuous production throughout the war with the last being built in 1948 after over 20,000 were built. The model I am using today is a Mark IX and was produced by RealAir and is one of my favorites (great shame they shut down). The weather for takeoff was good, 6 knot winds, few clouds at 2000, temperature of 27.7C/82F I flew along the coast of the Gulf of Oman at 4000 feet and after a short time ran into increasingly thicker cloud layer that forced me to descend to 1000 feet to keep the coast in view. I landed at Havadarya Airport, Bandar Abbass after flying 249 nm in 1.3 hours.

Here are a few screenshots:

wc.4.6.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

wc.4.6.2.jpg

Selfie!

wc.4.6.3.jpg

Glamour Shots

wc.4.6.4.jpg

Flying along the Gulf of Oman

wc.4.6.5.jpg

Clouds ahead.

wc.4.6.6.jpg

Staying low to keep under the clouds.

wc.4.6.7.jpg

Following the coast.

wc.4.6.8.jpg

Landed.

Thanks for reading

ATB

July 8, 1924: The pilots did not refuel the aircraft the night before when they noticed the gas was all stored in two gallon cans. The next morning they were up by 3:30 am to get ready, they hired a group of locals help them refuel. The formed a line from the pile of gas cans and passed them up to the fliers who poured them into the planes fuel tanks. It worked well enough that in 2 hours they were done and off without breakfast. By 9:30 they had arrived at Bushire, considered the most important port in the Persian gulf. They were met by American Consol who sent into town for sandwiches while the pilots refueled for the next leg.

September 10, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the Douglas DC-4. The DC-4 was developed from the DC-4E when proved to be too complicated and large to be economically operated. The new designed had a simpler unpressurised hull and a single rudder, but in June of 1941, before it could be delivered to customers US War department took over all orders for military use as the C-54. During the war it was one of the most common long range transports with 1170 being built, they continued to serve in the Berlin airlift and Korean war. After the war many were sold to civilian operators and another 79 were built post war.

I was holding out hope for the new DC-4 from Flight Replicas but after contacting them it was clear it would not be available in time, so I am using model by Jens B. Kristensen with updates by Bob Chicilo and a new VC panel by Vladimir Gonchar. While the model is showing its age I have always liked this model and have flow many hours in it. The weather for the flight was not great, Foggy with 11 knot winds and 2.5 mile visibility and a temperature of 33C. We took off and followed the coast into the Persian Gulf at 800 feet. Around Bandar Lengeh the fog lifted and we were able to climb to 4000 feet for the rest of the flight to Bushire Iran. The 303 nm flight took 2 hours.

Personal Note, with this flight done, I am now half way around the world!

Here area few pics:

wc.4.7.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

wc.4.7.2.jpg

Climbing out of Bandar Abbass.

wc.4.7.3.jpg

Heading out over town.

wc.4.7.4.jpg

Along the Persian Gulf.

wc.4.7.5.jpg

The fog has lifted.

wc.4.7.6.jpg

Cruisin...

wc.4.7.7.jpg

Coming into Bushire.

wc.4.7.8.jpg

Landed.

Thanks for reading

ATB.

July 8, 1924: After 90 minutes of working the sandwiches had not arrived so the fliers and departed for Baghdad Mesopotamia. There route took them over a vast desert to Basra, they followed the Euphrates river to the city of Hilla where they then took a compass course to the RAF field in Baghdad. They were surprised by the large croud of British civilians and military personnel who greeted them. They were immediantly given sandwiches as they tended there craft. Later they were taken to the RAF officers club for dinner. They were so tired when they finally got to there rooms that Arnold wrote “I remember getting to bed but don’t remember lying down”.

September 10, 2017: For the next leg we will be using the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver. The Helldiver's introduction was plagued by problems that delayed its introduction, poor handling characteristics even caused the plane to be rejected by the Royal Navy, but the problems were eventually ironed out and had a good record for the last two years of the war with over 7000 being built. The last retired from service in 1958. Its reputation was not enhanced by the fact that it was the last dedicated dive bomber when improvements in level bombing and rockets was eliminating the need for the type. The aircraft I am using is made by Aeroplane heaven and is nice.

The weather for the next leg was not bad, no wind or clouds, 5.0 mile visibility and a temperature of 31C/88F. We took off and headed north along the coast of the Persian Gulf until we found the mouth of the Euphrates river. I followed it until I finally lost the main channel of the river and then made a compass heading for Baghdad International airport. The 427 nmi flight had taken 2.1 hours.

Here are a few pics.

wc.4.8.1.jpg

Ready to go.

wc.4.8.2.jpg

Heading out over the Persian Gulf.

wc.4.8.3.jpg

Out over the sea.

wc.4.8.4.jpg

Mesopotamia.

wc.4.8.5.jpg

Trying to follow the Euphrates river.

wc.4.8.6.jpg

I feel like I should be flying an A-10.

wc.4.8.7.jpg

Baghdad!

wc.4.8.8.jpg

Landed.

Thanks for reading!

ATB.

July 9, 1924: The Flyers were used to getting up before day break but this day the slept in till after 7am and were not in the air until after 11am for there flight to Aleppo Syria, escorted for the first hour and a half by British Fighters. There route followed the Euphrates river and more monotonous desert They landed at the French Airfield northwest of the city and were greeted by laughing French pilots who insisted on toasting them with a special Champaign they had been saving for the occasion. After servicing there aircraft they were taken into town and to a reception and dinner that lasted until 2am.

September 13, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the Vought F4U Corsair. The Corsair first few in 1940 and was the first US Fighter to fly faster than 400 mph but it did not enter combat until 1943. Over 12,500 were built before the final delivery in 1953, the longest production run of any piston engine fighter in US history. I am using the ‘Birdcage’ model by JustFlight, which is quite nice. My flight to Aleppo was uneventful. Weather was good, clear with 5 knot winds and a temperature of 23C/73F. We cruised at 4000 feet, mostly following the Euphrates river, the Corsair made short work of the 388 mile flight cruising at over 290 knots and landing at the Aleppo International Airport after 1.4 hours of flying. I am happy that the civil war that has engulfed Syria does not invade the virtual space I fly in because I know the people of Aleppo have suffered quite a bit and as far as I can tell there airport is still closed because of the fighting.

Here are my pics;

wc.4.9.1.jpg

Climbing out of Baghdad.

wc.4.9.2.jpg

Heading out over the desart.

wc.4.9.3.jpg

Not much out there.

wc.4.9.4.jpg

Selfie!

wc.4.9.5.jpg

No eclipses here.

wc.4.9.6.jpg

Following the river.

wc.4.9.7.jpg

Over Syria.

wc.4.9.8.jpg

Landed.

Thanks for reading.

ATB

Absolutely marvellous, love the mix of history and flying and pics. One quick question, are you using P3Dv4? If so, how did you get the DC4 to work?

Many thanks,

Ian

Thanks for the compliments, I am mostly using P3Dv4 but not for all, sadly none of JBK's aircraft i have tested work in V4 so for that aircraft I used v3.4

July 10 1924: Despite the dinner than ended at 2am the night before the flyers were up at 6am and in the air by 9am for Constantinople (now Istanbul). Ahead were the 10,000 foot Taurus mountains that they planes could not fly over, so flying single file at 4000 feet they followed the Berlin-Baghdad railroad that cut through the valley, often uncomfortably close to the to the Mountain walls. Here they experienced the first real cold air since they left the Kurile islands. At 2:30 pm they landed at San Stefano aerodrome in Constantinople. To greet them was Admiral Bristol the American ambassador and few other American and Turkish officials but not the large crowds that would have been there had the cables Smith sent from Baghdad and Aleppo arrived, the telegraph system in this part of the world had not caught up to the technology of the day. After servicing there aircraft they went into the city but there were no dinners or receptions to attend since nobody really knew when they were coming. That evening they had dinner at the hotel and went to a Cabaret.

For the next flight I will be using the Lockheed L-049 Constellation. The Connie came out of a reqirement from TWA for an aircraft that could fly 3500 miles with 40 passengers. It used four R-3350 engines had a pressurized hull and wings similar to that used on the P-38. The aircraft first flew in 1943 and by then all civilian orders were taken over by the military. Designated the C-69 it was used as a high-speed, long-distance troop transport. Production was slow because the B-29 program had priority for the engines and by the end of the war only 22 had been built. Eventually 856 of all models were built by the time production ended in 1958. It set the standard for speed and luxury until replaced by Jet aircraft. A Connie still holds the record for a flight between New York and Washington, a record that will probably not be broken because it was done before the FAA speed limit below 10000 feet was imposed. The version I am using is made by JustFlight and is included as a default aircraft within P3D. As much as I would love to keep flying WW2 aircraft for the rest of the flight, history moves on and I figure this aircraft will be a good transition between that era and the post war aircraft I will be flying next.

September 14, 2017: The weather for the flight from Aleppo to Istanbul was good, Clear with no wind and a temperature of 23.4C/74F. Being able to cruise higher than the Douglas World Cruiser I flew at around 10000 feet over the mountains on a direct course for Ataturk International Airport. Landing safely the 489nm flight had taken just 2 hours.

Here are a few pics.

wc.4.10.1.jpg

Getting ready to takeoff.

wc.4.10.2.jpg

Climbing out of Aleppo

wc.4.10.3.jpg

Heading out of Syria.

wc.4.10.4.jpg

Flying over Turkey.

wc.4.10.5.jpg

The Taurus mountians.

wc.4.10.6.jpg

Cruisin.

wc.4.10.7.jpg

Our destination is in site.

wc.4.10.8.jpg

Secured.

Thanks for reading

ATB.

July 12, 1924: They had hoped to get off early the next day but the Turks had requested that members of there air force be allowed to inspect there aircraft, given how reluctant the Turkish government had been to allow them to land Smith agreed and they spent much of the day sightseeing and visiting the Ambassador and pilots of the Turkish air force. They were up before dawn the next day and were off by 7:45am for Bucharest Romania and the start of the fifth division of there trip. They flew over battlefields of the great war where the trenches, ruined towns and destroyed bridges were still visible. They landed at the Franco-Romanian aerodrome around noon, strangely there was no official party to greet them. That evening they were given an impromptu dinner from members of the foreign colony, while there chief of the Romanian Air Service rushed in and apologized on behalf of the government for not welcoming then they arrived.

September 16, 2017: For the next leg I will be flying the Douglas A-1 Skyraider. Designed as a carrier based dive/torpedo bomber during World War 2, it did not enter service until late 1946. Able to carry more payload than a B-17, the A-1 was considered on of the best attack and close air support aircraft ever built. Over 3180 were built before production ended in 1957 and it was used in both the Korean and Vietnam War. The last was retired in 1985. The model I am using today was produced by Tim “Piglet” Conrad (Tim we miss you) and is excellent. My flight to Bucharest was uneventful, weather was good, 12 knot winds with a few clouds at 3000 feet and a temperature of 26C. I did a little sightseeing over Istanbul before heading up Bosphorus strait and along the coast of the Black sea, crossing over Bulgaria and into Romania and landed at Băneasa International Airport, the former Franco-Romanian aerodrome, the oldest continuously operating airport in Eastern Europe. The 243 nm flight had take 1 hour.

Here are a few snapshots.

wc.5.1.1.jpg

Ready to go.

wc.5.1.2.jpg

Sightseeing over Istanbul.

wc.5.1.3.jpg

Time to get going.

wc.5.1.4.jpg

Along the Black sea.

wc.5.1.5.jpg

Over Bulgaria.

wc.5.1.6.jpg

Glamour Shots.

wc.5.1.7.jpg

Over the Danube River.

wc.5.1.8.jpg

And landed.

Thanks for reading

ATB.

July 13, 1924: They left Bucharest at dawn and headed west to the Danube River, through the Transylvanian Alps to Belgrade Yugoslavia. The weather had been remarkably good and the aircraft well so with plenty of fuel remaining they flew over the airport where the diplomatic officials were waiting and continued to Budapest Hungary (Smith later sent an apology). They landed at Maryasfold aerodrome after nearly 7 hours of flying where a small crowd was waiting to greet them, there had been a large crowd but a rumor went around saying the flyers were not coming. But they were welcomed by the diplomats who were there, a few speeches were given and they were invited to a nearby hanger where lunch was provided.

September 16, 2017: The aircraft I will use next is the Antonov An-2, aka "Annushka". The AN-2 is a Soviet built single-engine biplane utility/agricultural aircraft that first flew in 1946. Its remarkable durability, high lifting power, and ability to take off and land from poor runways have given it a long service life. Produced up to 2001 and remains in service operators around the world, over 18000 were built. The model I am using today I was made by SibWings and is very nice but it its not P3Dv4 compatible. Weather started off good, clear with 6 knot winds and a temperature of 22C. I flew west till I intercepted the Danube and followed it through the mountains, then north to Budapest where the weather had turned to thunder storms, but I landed safely at Tököl Airport after 4.1 hours of flying.

Here are the images:

wc.5.2.1.jpg

Ready to go.

wc.5.2.2.jpg

Climbing out of Bucharest.

wc.5.2.3.jpg

Glamour Shots.

wc.5.2.4.jpg

Following the Danube.

wc.5.2.5.jpg

Into Hungary.

wc.5.2.6.jpg

Good weather still.

wc.5.2.7.jpg

Desination in site.

wc.5.2.8.jpg

Landed.

July 13, 1924: After lunch they were back in there planes and on their way to Vienna Austria, arriving two hours later and were greeted by a huge crowd, which was mostly made up of American Tourists, all of which seemed to have new Kodak cameras and wanting to get pictures of the flyers and there craft. It took until almost dusk to finish working on there planes, camera’s snapping the whole time, they were then taking on a quick tour of the city and then to the luxurious Imperial Hotel, which they were told had once been the home of the prince of Wittenberg until he had lost it in a game of cards.

September 16, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk. Designed by de Havilland Canada in 1946 to replace the Tiger Moth. It was used as a basic trainer by the RAF and RCAF and many others, the last was retired in 1996, over 1200 were made and many are still used by civilian operators. The aircraft I used was made by JustFlight and is nice. By the time I finished my real world tasks the weather had cleared and was now just broken clouds at 5000 feet with 5 knot winds and a temperature of 16.1C. The flight to Vienna was very easy even thought he clouds get a bit thicker and I had to stay below 2000 feet to keep the ground in site. The 108 mile flight to the Vienna International Airport took 52 minutes.

Here are the images:

wc.5.3.1.jpg

Ready to go again.

wc.5.3.2.jpg

Climbing out of Budapest.

wc.5.3.3.jpg

Glamour shots!

wc.5.3.4.jpg

Selfie!

wc.5.3.5.jpg

Fall colours already.

wc.5.3.6.jpg

Lots of fall colors.

wc.5.3.7.jpg

Our destination.

wc.5.3.8.jpg

Secured.

Thanks for reading,

ATB

June 14, 1924: The rooms of the Imperial hotel had 20 foot ceilings and beds so soft when you were in then you sank out of sight. For breakfast they were served bowls of raspberries and cream so delicious Arnold said “it was almost worth flying around the world to eat them”. Despite the luxuries they all wanted the holiday in Paris Smith promised them if they could get there ahead of schedule, so before 7am they left the Ancient city of Vienna for Strasbourg France. It was raining heavily when they left, which kept them low over the Danube river as they followed it into Germany, They emerged into bright sunshine as the crossed over the Black Forest and landed in Strasbourg after 6 hours of flying, where despite the festivities planed for them, they hurriedly had lunch and got there planes ready for there next leg.

September 19, 2017: For the next leg I will be using the Cessna 195. The 195 was one of Cessna’s first post war aircraft, there last with a radial engine and there first one that was all aluminum. Because of the big radial engine it was larger than other Cessna models and more expensive to buy and operate so was marketed as more of a Business aircraft. First flying in 1945, about 1180 were built before production ended in 1954. The model I am using today was made by FlySimWare and is nice.

Weather for the flight from Vienna started off good, 11 knot winds with a few clouds at 1300 feet and a temperature of 12C/53F, quite a change from the 31C/88F five days ago. It was a bit cloudy so stayed between 2000-3000 feet while I found the Danube and followed it west to hear the city of Linz and then west into Germany. Ran into a fierce thunder storm over Munich but soon emerged from that as I approached the Black Forest, we crossed over the river Rhine and descended into Strasbourg, the 358nm flight had taken 2.4 hours.

Here are the pics:

wc.5.4.1.jpg

Ready to go.

wc.5.4.2.jpg

Staying low, where is that river.

wc.5.4.3.jpg

Following the Danube.

wc.5.4.4.jpg

Lightning is very close.

wc.5.4.5.jpg

Clear weather again.

wc.5.4.6.jpg

Over the Rhine river and into France!

wc.5.4.7.jpg

Our destination.

wc.5.4.8.jpg

Secured.

Thanks for reading

ATB.

July 14, 1924: Although elaborate arrangements had been made to entertain them, they stayed in Strasbourg only long enough to refuel the aircraft and get a quick lunch before being back in the air bound for Paris. A hundred miles from Paris a flight of planes from the French joined them to escort them to the city. Fifty miles out they could see the Eiffel Tower and the great buildings of the city, as they got nearer they could see thousands of people in the streets celebrating Bastille day, with there French escorts in tow they flew past the Eiffel tower, made a circle around the Arc de Triomphe to pay tribute to the French tomb of the French Unknown Soldier and proceed to Le Bourget Airport where more than five thousand Parisians were crowding the airport. They landed and were quickly mobbed by the throng while diplomats and French officials tried to shake there hands, it took an hour before they could get there aircraft into the hanger to do there post flight servicing. After they were taken to there hotels they accepted an invitation to the famous “Folies Bergere”, as the lights went down for the show they promptly fell asleep.

September 19, 2017: The North American F-86 Sabre, the Sabre is best known as the United States' first swept wing fighter that could counter the Soviet MiG-15 and was considered one of the best and most important fighter aircraft in the Korean war. Although it first flew in 1947 and was outdated by the end of the '50s, the Sabre proved versatile and adaptable. The last was retired by the Bolivian Air Force in 1994. Over 9800 were built in the US, Canada, Japan and Italy.

I tried to use the very nice Milviz model but it proved a bit beyond my skills. I started the flight but part way to Paris noticed the gauges had stopped, I fiddled with the power switches and got them back but then the engine was running at 100% and I could not get it to power back. Fiddling with the switches some more the engine stopped and I could not get it restarted, finally aborting before it crashed into a field. So instead I tried with the Virtavia model, which does not look as nice, especially the VC but it is much easier to fly. Started the flight with light rain, 7 knot winds, a few clouds at 700 feet, overcast at 6000 and a temperature of 10C/50F. I headed northwest toward Paris, at about 5000 feet to get over the first bank of hills and then dropped to about 2300 to stay below the clouds. It cleared up a bit as I approached Paris but I did not see the Eiffel tower as far away as Lt. Smith and the boys did . I finally spotted it and did a few passes by the tower and the Arc de Triomphe before landing at Le Bourget. The F-86 just ate up the 207nm flight in just 35 minutes, often cruising at over 540 knots.

Here are the pics:

wc.5.5.1.jpg

Ready to go.

wc.5.5.2.jpg

Climbing out of Strasbourg.

wc.5.5.3.jpg

Try to stay between the clouds and the hills.

wc.5.5.4.jpg

Its clear and I am good on fuel, drop the tanks.

wc.5.5.5.jpg

There is the Eiffel Tower

wc.5.5.6.jpg

Never sean so few cars around the Arc

wc.5.5.7.jpg

Another pass by the tower.

wc.5.5.8.jpg

Landed.

Thanks for reading

ATB.

July 16, 1924: While in Paris the flyers “met more generals, ambassadors, cabinet ministers and celebrities that we had encountered in the rest of our lives”. They had lunch with General John J. Pershing, american commander during the great war, accompanied the President of France to the Olympic games, who offered to bestow on them the French Legion of Honor but they had to decline as they were forbidden from accepting foreign decorations without the consent of congress. So without having any real time off, by 11am the morning of the 16th they were in the air bound for London. As they flew two airliners joined them, followed by a French fighters, all flying in a loose formation toward the England. They climbed above the clouds to 7000 feet. Through brakes in the clouds they could see the English channel below, the clouds thinned as they got closer to London and they landed at Croydon Airport. It took some time for the London bobbies to control the enthusiastic crowd, but once the welcomes were made and the planes serviced they were taken to the RAF club at Piccadilly, where they were given excellent quarters. Later that evening, at a dinner hosted by the top officials of the British Air Ministry, Lt. Wade fell asleep, snoring at the table sitting between a General and “Lord Somebody”.

September 19, 2017: For the next leg I am going to use the de Havilland Dove. The de Havilland DH.104 Dove was a British short-haul airliner as successor to the Dragon Rapide biplane. The Dove was a popular aircraft and is considered to be one of Britain's most successful postwar civil designs, in excess of 500 aircraft being manufactured between 1946 and 1967. It was also used by the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy and a number of overseas military forces. The model was made by JustFlight.

The weather started off great, no winds or clouds, and a temperature of 6.1C/43F. I headed north at about 4000 feet but soon the clouds started to build as I approached the channel and I dropped to 1500 feet to keep the land/sea in view. After crossing over into England the clouds cleared and I had a nice flight into London. Since Croydon is long closed I landed in London City airport after a quick view of the sites over the center of the city. The 178 nm took 1.1 hours.

Here are a few pics:

wc.5.6.1.jpg

Ready for takeoff.

wc.5.6.2.jpg

Glamour Shots.

wc.5.6.3.jpg

Clouds ahead.

wc.5.6.4.jpg

Heading out over the channel.

wc.5.6.5.jpg

England!

wc.5.6.6.jpg