WOAI packages question.

ColR1948

I recently installed FSX on my new PC, I see on WOAI there are packages for both FS9 and FSX, so naturally I chose FSX.

There are other packages with neither mentioned, I know they work in FS9 because I already have them installed there but will they still work in FSX or will it throw up an error?

Col.

I recently installed FSX on my new PC, I see on WOAI there are packages for both FS9 and FSX, so naturally I chose FSX.

There are other packages with neither mentioned, I know they work in FS9 because I already have them installed there but will they still work in FSX or will it throw up an error?

Col.

Be careful doing that! If the flightplans are in FS9 format then you may end up losing anything in FSX format.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks, I thought WOAI used FS9 format with their flight plans, I already did a few myself using TTools and the new WOAI aircraft I installed all shown up and I watched a few fly.

Col.

I could be wrong....I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong! I use the ones labeled FS9 and they took out the default FSX AI. No problem for me. All I can say is use what works!;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The difference between the FS9 and FSX packages is in the AI models used.

- FSX packages use genuine FSX models (so you can't use them in FS9).

- FS9 packages use FS9 models (can be used both in FS9 and FSX).

- when no choice is offered, you get FS9 models. Either 'cos no FSX models were available, or 'cos WoAI didn't update/split up yet

Advantage of using FSX models: the "invisible AI with ground shadows on" bug on certain addon airports (SCASM-based) is solved.

BUT the flightplans (the WoAI_blabla.BGL) in all versions (FSX/FS9) are still in FS9-format. So have to be converted to FSX to make them coexist with FSX AI aircraft and boat (carriers!!!) traffic.

(or can be left unchanged to deliberately kill FSX default traffic).

So when I have the choice, I choose the FSX download. And I always convert to FSX format (if I don't forget ;)).

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Thanks Wim,

I know about the aircraft difference, it was more the flight plans I was concerned about.

I have made a few flight plans myself for other aircraft and they work along with the WOAI obviously but I also have the boat traffic working, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I did read that the FSX plans will also be killed off if you use the @ symbol in any flight plans which I don't do anyway.

Col.

I have made a few flight plans myself for other aircraft and they work along with the WOAI obviously but I also have the boat traffic working, so I'm a bit puzzled.

The boat traffic part surprises me. I'm 100% sure having killed my aircraft carriers at least once with AI traffic made with TTools.

OTOH there are 2 different types of boat traffic in FSX: first the real AI traffic controlled by the "Ships and ferries" slider and second the leisure boats controlled by the (you've guessed it) "Leisure boats" slider. The latter is more some kind of autogen (FSX calls it LivingWorld), nothing to do with AI.

Maybe it's this last type you still see alongside WoAI ?

On a side note: TTools has proven it's value, but is a bit passé IMO.

Time to move on to AIFP (Jorgen's post).

A complete package for designing, verifying, compling AI flight plans. The FS9->FSX converter is only one tiny feature of it. It has some learning curve, but if you're familiar with TTools you'll have it up and running in no time.

And unlike TTools, they're still developing on it.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Archived