ATC Question

silverheels2

Hi all:

Ok, here's the question. I fly from location to location, then restart FSX at the destination the next day. Every time I do that I open the ATC window the next morning to get clearance, etc. and all I get is "Progressive Taxi" from ground. Can anyone please tell me how to reset ATC so I can get clearance, taxi directions, and so forth? The previous flight I follow all ATC directions on taxiing to parking, so I was on good terms for the previous flight. So why don't they come back up next flight?

Thanks

You need to file a new flight plan every time you start FSX to get ATC directions.

By "file a flight plan" I believe I do that since I develop and save a flight plan using the default planner for every flight. In this case I can't even talk to Ground. All I get is Progressive Taxi.

On the screen which shows the plane spinning, do you select flight plan, then load, then load the one you want?

I do and always get ATC instructions. If you do as well, then I'm baffled.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Hi,

Two things: In the previous flight did you follow progressive taxi until the arrows disappeared? And when you contact ATC and get the Progressive taxi message do you turn it on and follow the arrows until they disappear? You have to satisfy ATC.

I use AP Chart which shows the taxiway designations as well as the numbers of the parking spaces and would really like to find a way to determine the parking space that ATC has selected. I don't care for progressive taxi.

Jim F.

silverheels2

I think you just stumbled in another long time quirky thing of FSX. You didn't probably used the yellow dash arrows when the ATC assigned you to a Gate or Parking Spot at the end of the last flight. So now it wants you to finished the parking before starting your next flight. But in reality FSX doesn't remember where it sent you the last time and hence it will assign you a new spot. That's is why you see the "Progressive Taxi" option only. Thus, don't fight FSX cause it is in a cloud of its own = You didn't finish the free flight correctly. So hit the "Progressive Taxi", choose the yellow dash arrow on, change view to "from top view", start your airplane and go where the arrows want you to park. When you about to pass over the last arrow (going very slowly) change view so you can see the plane and arrows and then you can see that when the plane over takes the last arrow, all arrows will disappear automatically. The free flight is officially over then by FSX Rules.

Cheers,

PS: Do not use slew cause you will need Mr. Zippy. Another quirky thing right up ahead but you can read all about it somewhere in the past posts.

silverheels2

I think you just stumbled in another long time quirky thing of FSX. You didn't probably used the yellow dash arrows when the ATC assigned you to a Gate or Parking Spot at the end of the last flight. So now it wants you to finished the parking before starting your next flight. But in reality FSX doesn't remember where it sent you the last time and hence it will assign you a new spot. That's is why you see the "Progressive Taxi" option only. Thus, don't fight FSX cause it is in a cloud of its own = You didn't finish the free flight correctly. So hit the "Progressive Taxi", choose the yellow dash arrow on, change view to "from top view", start your airplane and go where the arrows want you to park. When you about to pass over the last arrow (going very slowly) change view so you can see the plane and arrows and then you can see that when the plane over takes the last arrow, all arrows will disappear automatically. The free flight is officially over then by FSX Rules.

Cheers,

PS: Do not use slew cause you will need Mr. Zippy. Another quirky thing right up ahead but you can read all about it somewhere in the past posts.

Aha! That sounds like the answer since I habitually ignore the parking instructions from ground. So All this time I thought I was getting away with it!!!!!

Thanks everyone for weighing in.

Sure you can use slew, I do it all of the time. First you turn on progressive taxi, hit Y to slew, slew to where the arrows go, turn off slew by hitting Y again. Now you can get that IFR clearance which you so desired.

http://my.flightmemory.com/pic/tvieno.gifhttp://www.vatsimsigs.co.uk/Status/1136602.jpg

Cheers,

OK, so why is my name popping up on a thread about slewing? I never use it or suggested it. WEIRD

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

"PS: Do not use slew cause you will need Mr. Zippy"

I wondered this myself. Perhaps your handle is synonymous with tech support and somehow slewing is problematic? Will leave it to the poster to explain the comment.

As you may have gathered from the above posts, getting to your CORRECT assigned runway hold short position is key to unlocking the tower clearances for take off. While you don't HAVE to use the progressive taxi arrows, I do so I can be absolutely SURE my plane is where the ATC expects it to be at the end of the taxi. No, you do not have to follow the arrows. You can slew and drive all over the airport all you want for as long as you want. Yes, you HAVE to be at the assigned ATC hold short position (however you choose to get there) to unlock the departure ATC features.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I use the numbpad 5 to neutralize any slew motion I have used before turning off slew and make sure I have the brakes set, throttles idle and JS centered. The numbpad keys control slew MUCH better than the joystick.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

When you come off slew, FSX might unleash the airplane forward at high speed. I learned with Mr. Zippy how to control that bad behavior with the Y and the P keys. End of mystery.

To each its own.

Cheers,

It might have been a lucky guess on my part! The only slew I knew was Seattle Slew.

Happy Hollerdays to all! (Family gettogethers always has lots of hollerin')

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived