FSX controls recommendation.

Can anyone recommend controls for the FSX for a beginner? My 12-year-old son has a great interest in simulators and has used all the ones available through his tablet. He's even co-piloted an SR-22 through a school related program. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, is there any version of FSX that you would recommend as well? Thx!

I have SX and FS9. I wold recommend going with P3D however as it is the software constantly being updated and improved on the original FSX. If you opt for FSX for for the acceleration edition and stay away from Steam.

For controls I personally recommend CH products as that is what I have used for the past 14 years. Still using the original throttle quadrant and pedals and on 2nd Yoke, so they last well.

I would go for the pedals, yoke and a minimum 2 (ideally 3) monitor set up.

Some of this of course depends on what aircraft he is liekly to fly. I fly low and slow 2 engine DC3 / C47 variants primarily but also Ansons, DC4's, Viking, Tudor, Electa etc..

I never fly modern airliners so my answer is geared more to what I am used to and what I think would meet the kind of flying I like to do.

I would also recommend Active Sky for weather and G0-Flight avionics hardware.

Hope this helps.

I am VP On-Line flying at DC3 Airways.

I'd recommend FSX Steam Edition definately! It's much more stable and tweaked by default compared to the boxed version including all service packs. Works like a charm.

Pay special attention to the installation path when you ever had the FSX boxed installed though. That's a thingy.

If your son is more into hardcore simulation and wants to fly as real as it gets, definately go for X-Plane 11 64-bit. Less eyecandy, but near reallife flight dynamics. As a reallife privat pilot I think I'm confident of making that statement without a problem.

As for the controller: start out with a decent joystick like a 40/50 $ thrustmaster. If he stays interested for a while maybe progress to a Saitek Yoke, but it's a bit more expensive and an excellent thing to wash cars for. :-)

Grtz., Hans

I'd recommend FSX Steam Edition definately! It's much more stable and tweaked by default compared to the boxed version including all service packs. Works like a charm.

Pay special attention to the installation path when you ever had the FSX boxed installed though. That's a thingy.

If your son is more into hardcore simulation and wants to fly as real as it gets, definately go for X-Plane 11 64-bit. Less eyecandy, but near reallife flight dynamics. As a reallife privat pilot I think I'm confident of making that statement without a problem.

Grtz., Hans

Wait for Flight Sim World.

Due 18 May, uses the same Steam download format as FSX Steam Edition but is a major revamp.

Can anyone recommend controls for the FSX for a beginner? My 12-year-old son has a great interest in simulators and has used all the ones available through his tablet. He's even co-piloted an SR-22 through a school related program. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, is there any version of FSX that you would recommend as well? Thx!

Most important is a yoke or joystick. Followed by rudder pedals. If he gets hooked then a throttle assembly.

If he is 12, I really think you should stick to the basics. You mention controls for FSX, so I'm taking it for granted that you already have a version of FSX, if not, FSX:SE, from Steam could be an option.

Start off with a decent joystick, then, if the interest is still there in a few month's time, maybe, if the budget allows, go for a yoke & pedals.

At this (beginner) stage, it is not necessary to go for any major add-ons. Maybe look for some freeware airports for your region.

The best way to go, is to start off with the basic sim, then slowly add planes & scenery that will interest your son. Also, the sims all have a Learning Centre, & that is where your son should start off. Get the basics done, & all (well, most things), will fall into place.

I'm part of a group, Cape Virtual, that look after & mentor a youth program called 'The Young Falcons'. It's a 2 year project where we have the kids (30 juniors & 30 seniors, aged 14-15) every 2nd Saturday. They get lectures, when do the examples & lessons on the sim. We are actually still using FS2004, with joysticks ..... Because it just works, we have freeware scenery for our region, & the flight models are great. You really do NOT need the latest to 'learn' to fly. For us, & our 'Young Falcons', learning correct procedures & habits are more important than eye-candy!

So, just the basics, & slow step by step learning & practice.

Cheers,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

As for FSX, a boxed version (any version) will probably be really hard to get, and if you get a used one there could easily be an issue with activation. I would say go with Steam initially, and then, if the interest is really there, maybe progress to P3D.

As for joysticks, Thrustmaster has a pretty decent one that sells for around 50 USD. I threw the box for mine away, so I can't give you the full model name....

Jorgen

But is an "early access" version (beta) with no add-ons! Go for FSX:SE (especially if you can get it in one of the regular Steam sales). The basic program is a good place to start and you can add to it as you progress. The available add-ons, both payware and freeware, cover almost anything you can think of.

True, but if you think a 12 year old will notice with all the new knowledge, you ain't been a teacher of 12 year olds... The point is to start with something that will grow, not grow old and tired.

The speed with which the aftermarket will drop FSX and FSX SE will be like an F15 in full afterburner. Why recommend something that is about to become obsolete without the caveat that FSX SE will be about 5 bucks...

S'not much to throw at it to see if a 12 year old can live without bombing and strafing the living s++t out of everything that moves, and many other things that don't.

If your son has a 'tablet' (laptop) he won't be able to run FSX (any version) on it. You need 3.5 Ghz CPU (i7) for FSX.

I have FS2004 and FSX Acceleration installed. FS9 (FS2004) would run good on his tablet and would be very simular to FSX in 90% of the options, etc.

Look for and get a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro (or Sidewinder 2) USB joystick. They are at Amazon - cheap. But, very reliable, sturdy, and works just by plugging it in (XP, Win 7). Windows will install the drivers for you. No messing with 'profiles' etc.

You might want to set realism to 'Medium'. Then sensitivity of axis to '100%' and null to '0'. Load the C-182, set time and season (ie: clouds, etc), then make it the 'default' flight. Next time you start up FS9 everything is set and ready to go. Done - go fly.

For key commands there are files you can download here at FltSimCom. Key either 'FS9 commands' or 'FSX commands' and something will pop up. Download it and print it out (FSX is one page) and keep it handy. You will need for 'Gear', view changes, etc.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Guys, this is actually not a debate on what sim is better. The original poster mentioned FSX, so lets stick to that.

The actual question is about controls, & napamule2 nailed it.

A basic twist grip joystick will be perfect for any sim!

The kid is only 12, & certainly does not need to be scared off by too much information, so, stick to the basics, a basic sim, & a joystick, & let him 'grow' into the sim.

Do the tutorials, & have fun, then, once the basics are there, then add in the planes (slowly) & local scenery.

Too much information, & 'analysis paralysis' will scare anyone away!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Robin,

You hit the nail on the head.

Here is the joystick I wanted to recommend but got the name / model wrong. The newer ones go for $999 on Amazon. Here is a pic of the older model (which is the one I have had for 12 years and which I LOVE). $25 on EBay. (Hurry, I am going to get one tomorrow, and it might be the last one - hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

MS SW2_$25_EBay.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

You guys had my head in a flat spin until zswobbie1 leveled it out. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the input. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I had some questions of compatibility with desktops and how good it will work. I started a new thread. Thanks again for everybody's input. My kid will really appreciate it.

Archived