New Computer spec

smx55

In the market for a new pc.....what do you guys think about this one?

Thanks

System: Intel i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core | Intel Z170/Z270 Chipset | 16GB DDR4 | 128GB NVMe SSD | 2TB HDD | 24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Drive | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB Video Card | 1x DVI | 1x HDMI | 1x Display Port

Connectivity: 6 x USB 3.0 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | Internal Wi-Fi 802.11 AC Wireless Networking | Audio: 7.1 Channel | Keyboard and Mouse

Special Feature: Liquid Cooling | Internal Wi-Fi 802.11 AC Wireless Networking | USB 7 Color Gaming Keyboard

Warranty: 1 Year Parts & Labour Warranty Free Lifetime Tech Support

That's the Top Of The Line Intel PC rig specs. $4,000? But then you have to buy the $60 video games (a half dozen maybe?). What? You don't do video games? THAT is what THAT rig specs is designed, and intended, for. Not FSX. Need I say more. (Look at my specs: $1200 and getting 45 to 60 fps in FSX Accel). You'll be sorry....don't say we didn't warn you.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Nothing wrong with going for the best you can afford - less chance you'll have to upgrade it in a year or two. I would insist on the Z270 motherboard rather than a Z170. Also, check what brand of liquid cooler it uses as not all coolers are made equal. It doesn't mention the rating/brand of the PSU which tends to be one of the most overlooked components, particularly for off-the-shelf systems. A good, powerful system needs a good (=stable) PSU with enough spare capacity to allow future upgrades.

There's EVERYTHING wrong with going for the best. FSX is an outmoded engine, focussed on single core speed, and a mixed CPU/GPU balance that more modern games, platforms and engine don't share.

There are certain elements of the best that are utterly futile in the pursuit of high end FSX performance.

You are correct that that a good system needs good PSU. However the platform that suggests a PSU with spare capacity is flying in the face of lowering power demands in current and future generation hardware. The ONLY advantage of an over-specified PSU is that it will run at a cooler temperature, which defeats the need for liquid cooling.

And, if there is a place locally that can custom build a system I would definitely recommend that. I just had a system built at a computer shop just up the road, and the price is definitely more reasonable than a major manufacturer. Plus, if you have any problems all you have to do is give them a call. No more placing calls to "tech support" who just read off of a list of troubleshooting measures, and, more often than not, you're speaking to someone from another country who you can barely understand what they are saying.

Gonpostal,

+1 to that.

To save costs, for instance Dell makes all the cable exactly as long as necessary, and don't put any more cables in the system than necessary. They also, on a system I had, had put a non-standard form-factor PSU in there, that was rated at precisely enough to power that basic configuration. So, when I wanted to upgrade the graphics card, that meant a PSU upgrade also and then trouble installing this ATX form-factor PSU.

Jorgen

"the times they are a changing'"

Top of the line. To me that is the only way to go. I just completed a new rebuild and I absolutely love it. The technology is changing in a way that things we have depended on are no longer available to use. Example, the 7700k does not no longer run with windows 7. The Gtx1080 card does not support VGA connections. Now there may be workarounds for these solutions,but I like to run things they way they are designed. FSX still runs great better than before. Now with the release of X-Plane 11 and Train Sim World I am able to run them smoothly. The only thing I would suggest that you look a little closer at would be the 1070 card and the Windows 10 home. Look into the 1080 especially look at Windows 10 Pro. I will be upgrading that shortly. Hope it helps.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I couldn't agree more. Unless it means not being able to pay the rent next month, it would be absolutely foolish not to go with a top-of-the-line system. And, yes, I agree that it's gross overkill for FSX...but there is more to life that just a flight sim. Even though my system is a little dated now, I sit here most every day watching a movie, processing video "stuff" I've made, flying FSX or P3D and occasionally browsing the web...all at the same time. Can't do that on a low-budget system..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Using that logic: Get rid of the CPU and you definitely won't need any cooling (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for all the comments, The Pc will not only be used for FSX.....the PC that I run now does a decent job of running FSX. It stutters a little on payware air ports that not bad, but X plane 11 murders it ! I get like 9 FPS. Ok now here is my concern the system is on Amazon and its no where $4000. Should I be concerns.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT10ZRK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DUEMDAP1QT5C&coliid=I1REKQTZJ21WLU&psc=1

I had a top of the line system built locally, was just under half that price

"top of the line".....I'd sure like to see a list of the components they used.....

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Get the same specs, from China, at half the price. See pic.

Chuck B

Napamule

PC_$740 vs $1400.jpg

No need to take an attitude like that. I will post my system components later when I have more time...

Attitude? What attitude? There's no "attitude" here. I'm thinking of replacing this box and I was just curious what the components were they used in yours. Sorry if you somehow feel offended. Lighten up a bit..........

Archived