Snow textures don't load properly

martinstebbing

Flying low over snow is never very pretty in FS9... I made some replacement snow textures several years back (AVSIM library), which, IMHO, improve things to some extent, but I still have two issues:

1. Pink snow. The snow looks great until you get closer, when FS9 suddenly loads the textures in more detail - they become crisper, but change from white to a pale pink shade. I think this is something to do with the detail1.bmp file and whether it is mipped or not - it is very hard, I have discovered, to find a version of this that lets grass appear relatively sharp whilst not creating problems (such as this one, I think; the 'wrong' detail1.bmp can also create a slightly darkened halo around your aircraft when ever there is a grass texture nearby..... I have posted about this in the past: if anyone knows what I am talking about and can suggest a fix, that's be great!

2. None of my snow textures load properly in normal flight when the snow is on a mountain or hillside. The snow textures are always surrounded by a kind of 'hook and eye' border. Again, if anyone knows of a fix...

Thanks.

grab_040.jpg

Strange to say the least but doable maybe!!! looks like it could be to much contrast somewhere and as you say the detail is a very fical beast. I have been working on improving FS9 since before the days of FSX with Howards Mix then TNW Scenery, TeamViewer would not be an option in this case as it will only display in 8bit colour at my end. To make a start I would firstly re-set the graphics card back to its default, presumably you have had a go with all the environmental files. if you email me then with details on your Graphics card details and a little about your monitor then I we'll take it from there.

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (Sorry No Friends please)

1 Happy Landing-60.jpg

Thanks Howard. I can send you details of the GPU etc., but the issue has been with me ever since I started FS9, through several very different systems, both Intel and ATI GPUs and different makes of monitor. There are so many variables of course that I was just hoping that someone else had had the same issue and found a solution. None of the hardware and software changes (for instance, which programmes provide ground texture bitmaps) seems to make any difference - I have always had these little hooks around the edges when the snow is on an incline. It must be a drawing issue.. as I say, the little hooks disappear when your a/c gets close enough.

Regarding your "pink" snow...... Is it possible that this is simply a solar lighting angle issue? As the sun gets lower to the horizon, the light gets more yellow / pink / orange. Just a thought over coffee and danish.
Steve from Murwilllumbah.

:) No, it's definitely not that. Happens at any time of the day. It happens as the resolution changes and you get closer. The snow looks great until you are on top of it...

My previous experiments made me think very strongly that it is linked to the file detail1.bmp. I'll rerun what I did (several months ago now) to double check a bit later today...

Hope you enjoyed your Danish pastry!

It's the snow textures themselves, I had the same set myself until I crossed the Alps a few times and noticed this horrible lace edge effect. I forget which set it was now, but I reverted back to the default snow/winter textures. Quite a few of these supposed "HD" or "Photoreal" freeware textures weren't properly tested and are no longer supported, so I decided I was better off with the default textures which certainly were properly tested.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It's the snow textures themselves

Several years back I did hours and hours of research on this, producing my own snow textures in the end (in the AVSIM library - and probably on Flightsim.com as well) and I did not come to that conclusion at all.

I have a list of things to troubleshoot in FS9 now (will I ever get to fly??) and will try this again, but my testing showed it was connected to the detail1.bmp file - it's size and whether it is mipped or not.

EDIT: Sorry Tiger I somehow got into my head you were talking about the pink colour. Not sure why - it's quite clear now I read it again (did you edit your post???). I'll have to experiment with some other snow textures (including the default) and post back.. Thanks

Hi again

If you send the snow textures or send a link to them I will have a look at them to rule out any issue with them as I know that you would dearly love to keep your own work. I will also send you the detail1.bmp and the other environmental bmp's from TNW2017 which have a proven record spanning many year, putting them in one at a time should provide the answerer or rule them out.

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (Sorry No Friends please)

Thanks very much - I will email you with the files.

Meanwhile, a couple of screenshots. The first is with a detail1.bmp file I downloaded (I have several, but have yet to find the 'ideal' one). The second with the default file. As I say, the pink snow replaces the white as you fly across the terrain. Ugly!!

One problem with the default one is that it makes grass look horribly blurred and so, since I fly across snowy mountains relatively rarely, I use one of the third party files.

Another problem (about which I posted a year or so back) is that 'faulty' (i.e. most third party ones I have tried) detail1.bmp files, in addition to the pink, patterned snow, cause a large circle of 'darker' texture to follow your aircraft when taxiing across certain terrain types, including any grass near airport taxiways. I think, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, that it's to do with the mipping...

[Wiki={option}]https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/488055-odd-ground-texture-problem/[/Wiki]

Thanks again. I'll zip all my relevant files (there are quite a few alternatives) and send them off to you. When you have a moment to look at them, that'd be great. And yes, I'd love to try the TNW2017 file(s). :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Archived