Bear scat in lake

Roger Wensley

Why is it that in lakes or rivers at high altitudes, for instance in the mountains of Idaho, every lake and river looks as if every bear for 500 miles trekked over there to crap in it? Take a look and you will see what I mean. I made a new lake and got worried, then I checked out others in the area.

every lake and river looks as if every bear for 500 miles trekked over there to crap in it

Nah, the bears still cr*p in the woods. That's just where the cr*p ends up when it rains on the woods! Sounds like you need to search for new Inland Water Textures in the library here...

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I think you're exaggerating somewhat, I live in the mountains of Idaho and it's common knowledge around here that bears in reality only come a maximum of 150-200 miles to crap in our lakes. The problem is compounded by the fact those lakes are frozen solid for ten $#@!&%*^# months out of the year and when they finally do thaw (in July) all that bear crap ends up in the lake at once making it appear as though the bears are coming from much greater distances. :)

So many ideas, but why does FS9 only let the bears crap in the high lakes? Go look at a lake that is only 500 feet ASL and it is still a lovely blue. If I knew how to post a pic here I would show you, but I don't, so open FS9 and go take a look for yourself at a high lake in Idaho and then a low lake in Ontario. It just isn't fair to the bears.

I think it'll be pretty subjective depending on what each of us have installed, water textures, waterclass scenery, even sky textures can have an effect. Are you using any waterclass addons for Ontario (or Idaho)? I looked at the default worldwc.bgl with tmfviewer and it looks to me like Idaho and Ontario are the same, "Shallow Inland Water-Blue" covers the entire area while the major rivers and lakes are dotted in with "Deep Inland Water-Blue". If you're talking about high mountain lakes in Idaho they probably fall under "Shallow Inland Water-Blue" because they're small and insignificant where most of the lakes in Ontario are larger and therefore they got the "Deep Inland Water-Blue" treatment. Specific coordinates would help. You can make a waterclass fairly easily with Sbuilder if you need to change it.

I was making a new lake at 4,900 feet in Idaaho, using Sbuilder, and the result I got was.... a sort of brown mess. Then I found that the other lakes and rivers at high altitude nearby are the same. Go to N44 41.65 W 116 5.58, for instance, then compare that with Lake Ontario. I don't think I have any water textures other than stock fs9. I will check that though.

All the great lakes are "Shallow Ocean Water 1-Class1" but I tried to make a waterclass for Cascade lake in Idaho changing it to that but I couldn't see a difference. If you drop this .bgl in an active scenery folder does it change that lake in Idaho for you?

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/WT_1716.bgl

EDIT: I don't see a difference between those two lakes after looking at Ontario in the sim. I know I'm using some aftermarket water textures, maybe I need to go back to default and try it.

Trying to get a better representation of the Mississippi River I played around with textures in REX, it made the river more realistic .... and turned the entire Gulf Coast into a cesspool

cesspool.png

This is what Cascade reservoir (N44 41.65 W 116 5.58) looks like in my FS9. I've used a combo of freeware water textures recommended by Holger Sandmann in FS9 for as long as I remember. It was a combo using buts & pieces from 3 different freeware packages but apparently I've lost the recipe so I'm afraid I have no idea what they were.

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/cascade_FS9.jpg

Holger's water...

WATER TEXTURES and ENVIRONMENT BITMAPS

-------------

from Pete Drazzof (compiler) - waterzone.zip (Avsim):

*b2wa*.bmp textures

water_detail01 - water_detail16

water_detailR01 - water_detailR16

env_dawn.bmp (same as Daniel Buechter, see below)

env_dusk.bmp (same as Daniel Buechter, see below)

-------------

from Lynn and Bill Lyons - fs9watga3.zip (Avsim):

env_overcast.bmp (windy)

-------------

from Vilk - vater.zip -Google it

env_highnoon.bmp

env_lowmoon.bmp

env_lowsun.bmp

env_midsun.bmp

env_postdusk.bmp

env_predawn.bmp

-------------

from Daniel Buechter - new_waves3.zip (Avsim)

env_dawn.bmp

env_dusk.bmp

OceanHeightField.bmp

-------------

from Peter Wilding - pwover16.zip (FlightSim):

env_highmoon.bmp

env_newmoon.bmp

All textures go in ...\FS9\scenery\World\texture except OceanHeightField.bmp which goes in FS9\Texture

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

JGF, yes that's it exactly! How many bears did it take for a lake that size?

That's the Gulf of Mexico! Near Tampa, FL. Took a lot of bears to flush all that down the Mississippi (what are you feeding them up there?!).

Fortunately clearing this was a simple matter of telling REX to revert to the previous textures.

Archived