OOM Problem !!

smx55

Hello all, I hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have this computer a while now about 2-3 years. I does a fair job of running FSX. I get some where in the mid 20 FPS in cockpit view and about high 30-40 external view, but out of the blue I'm getting OOM crashes. I have not changed and graphic setting everything has been the same for months. The problem always happens when airport is in sight and I'm a few minutes from landing. It happens with Default airport or add-on airports. The only thing that is new is a nvidia drivers update and I just install FS2 Crew. I'm lost as to why all of a sudden Im getting the error. I have disable FS2 Crew to see if that fixes the problem but it didn't. Any ideas?

I have attached computer spec

Thanks

IMG_1122.JPG

Maybe crank your airliner AI slider down a bit! Like you say, getting close to the airport causes it.

I tried that did make a difference. Also lowered the graphic setting a bit and that didn't help. All flight where flight that I have taken many times and never saw that error.

I've heard of VAS issues with nvidia drivers post 376.33 - but that may have been with P3D only. Given that you just updated the drivers, it may be worth going back.

Cheers!

Luke

Thats a possibility, now my question is how to I go back to the previous driver?

Has the FSX.CFG been tweaked here? Maybe turn back the LOD radius a bit. I had that setting at 7.5, and got my only OOM with that setting. Turned it back to 6.5, and all was well.

Jorgen

I will try that.......but I have messed with my CFG file in months

Here is what I don't understand, I have not had a problem in FSX or had there been any tweaks or changes to the graphic setting in month......so why is it all of a sudden running out of memory now? Could FS2 Crew have change my CFG?

Well, you were probably just below your memory limits before without FS2Crew and this júst tipped the scale.

FSX is a 32-bits piece of software so it will never be able to use all of your 16G of RAM. It will max out at 4GB's

LOD is one of the biggest memory-eaters in the sim. Decreasing it will definately make a difference. You can also leave the LOD as is, but you need to sacrifice elsewhere then.

Do you have any weather add-ons installed? Or added textures? For example: when running Rex4 textures you can choose different resolutions. I keep them moderate and never have OOM's.

So, yes FS2Crew can be just the factor that maxes out your memory. And yes it's irritating. But nothing else to do about it but decrease some graph settings to free some memory.

Also, in between flights I reboot the computer to start with a fresh and empty memory. If you don't and keep flying eventually every system will have an OOM in the end.

Just thinking of another option: when you plan a flight, apart from the default scenery only tick the arrival and departure sceneries. This prevents scenery loading up when overflying it enroute. Just make sure to reboot the simulator after this ticking/unticking process so an new scenery config file can be built up. It's only a workaround but might give you just enough room to keep your settings the way you like.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Well, you were probably just below your memory limits before without FS2Crew and this júst tipped the scale.

FSX is a 32-bits piece of software so it will never be able to use all of your 16G of RAM. It will max out at 4GB's

LOD is one of the biggest memory-eaters in the sim. Decreasing it will definately make a difference. You can also leave the LOD as is, but you need to sacrifice elsewhere then.

Do you have any weather add-ons installed? Or added textures? For example: when running Rex4 textures you can choose different resolutions. I keep them moderate and never have OOM's.

So, yes FS2Crew can be just the factor that maxes out your memory. And yes it's irritating. But nothing else to do about it but decrease some graph settings to free some memory.

Also, in between flights I reboot the computer to start with a fresh and empty memory. If you don't and keep flying eventually every system will have an OOM in the end.

Makes sense.....I had a feeling that FS2 Crew had something to do with it. But yes I have Activesky, Rex Textures, Rex soft clouds and FTX Global. I also ran FSX with FS2 Crew disable and I still got the OOM, should I have still got the error with it turned off? Or is it still patch in CFG file?

Well it's not an FS2Crew problem. It's a result of the way FSX is coded.

OOM means your memory is full. The only way to prevent this error from happening it is to lower your settings so less memory is used.

Wether or not you open FS2Crew is not a factor; it will load up with FSX anyway.

There are loads of .cfg tweaks available on forums that decrease memory load. It's worth a try and will probably fix your issue. But by all means start with the LOD setting, reduce is by .2 at a time and have a testrun. This will impact your experience the least in my opinion (but that's very personal). ;-)

Well it's not an FS2Crew problem. It's a result of the way FSX is coded.

OOM means your memory is full. The only way to prevent this error from happening it is to lower your settings so less memory is used.

Wether or not you open FS2Crew is not a factor; it will load up with FSX anyway.

There are loads of .cfg tweaks available on forums that decrease memory load. It's worth a try and will probably fix your issue. But by all means start with the LOD setting, reduce is by .2 at a time and have a testrun. This will impact your experience the least in my opinion (but that's very personal). ;-)

Well give it a try tonight....thanks for all you guys help !!

I hate it when I do a search on forums and they never come back to say if the advice worked for them or not. Lol well I any pleased to say I took a 1:45 Minute flight with out any OOM error. Thanks to everyone for the advice !!

I hate it when I do a search on forums and they never come back to say if the advice worked for them or not. Lol well I any pleased to say I took a 1:45 Minute flight with out any OOM error. Thanks to everyone for the advice !!

So what exactly did you do? LOL Decrease LOD or what?

So what exactly did you do? LOL Decrease LOD or what?

Yea that would have help if I said what fix the problem..for some reason the LOD and Mesh was maxed out, now the crazy thing is I don't mess with it, I haven't messed with the graphic setting in months. So what maxed it out is beside me, Another problem I had was no matter how many times I set it....it wouldn't stay. What I had to learned was I have to take a 5 minute flight for the setting to stay put. So far all has been back to normal.

You have a fairly fast PC. So other than doing a complete defrag (try 'defraggler' - Google it) you might want to try Process Lasso 64 bit (Google that too). Process Lasso 'tames' your processes where it won't allow processes to hog your CPU or your Ram (has 'gaming mode'). You need all the help you can get to make FSX 'get by' the Windoze 'mentality' (ie: it's: 'For BUSINESS USE.... NOT INTENDED... FOR FLIGHT SIMMING').

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived