FSX SE - Features and compatibility

lohpsch

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you get real weather if you are not "on line?" This is not about me but even with my FSX I am always on line....and now I have Active Sky Next and it is fantastic....

Not dumb at all, and there are other reasons to be online.

The point is that you are online if you need or want to be, not because the simulator doesn't work at all if you have no internet or simply decide to be offline and fly on your own, without being logged.

And needing do ask permission to Steam if you just want to uninstall seems a little too much for me.

One can download the FREE Prepar3D v1.4 SDK from here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=22

It is simply an updated version of the FSX/A SDK, so everything needed is included!

Didn't try this because I was sure there would be a workaround, either the one you propose or simply installing the SDK from the original FSX.

It would be nice to know if anyone has Instant Scenery, ADE or SbuilderX working with FSX SE and any of the possible ways to get a fully functional SDK.

Looks like Steam must be connected right now for the Steam Edition to launch. However, they are looking at changing this.

From the Steam discussion:

DTG_Admin [developer]

At the moment you must be logged into Steam and online at the point where you start the game. After this point you can disconnect entirely without losing your session. We're aware that this is far from convenient and are looking to remedy the need for even an online handshake before playing offline, but that's the situation right now.

- Sam

Looks like Steam must be connected right now for the Steam Edition to launch. However, they are looking at changing this.

Thanks for the info, loki.

Good to know that Steam is working on it.

FSX SE is good news for simmers even if it is just a repack, as long as the value of having a repack is not ruined by new issues like this one.

FSUIPC incompatibility is solved: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78258-fsuipc-4938-available-now-for-fsx-steam-edition/

Seems that almost every addon is working: http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/

Bottom line:

Repack of FSX with Acceleration with digital installation at a decent price that seems to be fully working, just waiting for the imperative requisite to be online and logged to be fixed. For those who have FSX I see no reason to rush (except the sale price, while it's on) but for a next fresh install it will save some time (no need to deal with so many tweaks to have FSX running properly) and have a nice new splash screen.

Thanks for the info, Bill. I'm an FSX newbie. Is the P3D SDK compatible with the MS SDK? If I create scenery compiled with the P3D SDK, will MS FSX users be able to use it?

Other than the name, the two SDK's are essentially identical. They include the same files.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Thanks Loki for your time and efforts.

I thought I might have been having a senior moment. Not so.

Chris.

FSUIPC is updated for FSX SE and Steam is working on the offline issue.

No trace of incompatibily issues with any addon, so far.

I think that there is still one important detail to check: Can FSX SEvbe installed somewhere else out of Program Files (x86)?

I know it can be installed on another drive, but if you only have one, can it be installed in some folder like C:\FSX\?

This is relevant for addons like REX4.

Anybody tried this?

FSUIPC is updated for FSX SE and Steam is working on the offline issue.

No trace of incompatibily issues with any addon, so far.

I think that there is still one important detail to check: Can FSX SEvbe installed somewhere else out of Program Files (x86)?

I know it can be installed on another drive, but if you only have one, can it be installed in some folder like C:\FSX\?

This is relevant for addons like REX4.

Anybody tried this?

You can install Steam to a custom location when you install it, or move it later.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Archived