Jump to content

Problems in the 737 tds

Recommended Posts

What are raydomes?

I did not find anything in the files that came with it.


Raydomes are blisters on the top and/or bottom of the aircraft that house wifi or other such antennas. This has been discussed before. Try a forum search for tds raydomes or TDs back bar.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to pick too many nits (do YOU know what a nit is? :D ), but it's actually RADOME, not raydome. Contraction of radar dome. It's originally a designation of the non-metallic blister, on top or bottom, out on a wing, or on the nose, where the radar system antenna was housed, so the skin of the aircraft, nowadays mostly a metal of some sort, wouldn't attenuate the radar signals. On most fighters, for example, the nose back a ways is the radome, and made of fiberglass or carbon fiber. If you get a chance, tap it with a knuckle, and you'll hear the difference between it and, for example, the fuselage half way back.

Take a look at the Phantom II's, for example. That black painted nose area is all radome, and fiberglass. The entire radar system, except control panels, displays and such, are in there.

Now, they call any non-metallic blister, or even just a small patch of the aircraft's skin, like for a radalt, on the aircraft to allow an antenna to function, but reduce the aerodynamic drag, a radome. Antennae are such a drag, after all :D

Have fun, and good luck with the black bars!



Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...