FSX mesh

tinhead59

that's one of those questions that are open to debate..

In the "Free" catagory I'd suggest the FreeMeshX, it's what I currently use. It offers most of the world at 38m resolution and is available in zip download and torrent (from the developer)

Years ago I used FSGenesis payware and I prefer FreeMeshX. FSG has a newer product line than what I own so the newer stuff is probably better.

FS Global Ultimate is another payware competitor; I have a flying friend who swears by it...

If you fly a lot in the western US, Bluesky Scenery phototerrain downloads also contain 10m resolution mesh. I use a LOT of this.

Good luck in your search.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I've got Pilot's FS Global 2010 ORBX compatible. Requires 25 GB free hard disk space. I ordered it on 6 DVD's because the download would have taken way too long. This is a older product so you can get it cheaper then it's replacement (Pilot's FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation). Also does not need internet activation which has it's advantages. I was thinking of upgrading but seriously how much can terrain elevations change?

Seems to work OK with all the ORBX scenery I've installed. However something you will run into. ALL default FSX airports are flat. Then you add in a true mesh with realistic elevations. So if a airport is located on a slope, one end of the airport is going to have a cliff on one side. The FTX Global Vector has a tool to 'average' out the difference. So now 1 side is buried in the slope and the cliff on the other side is only 1/2 as high now. KLAS was terrible. I found a fix that blended the terrain edges around the airport so it looks perfect now.

It installed in a separate folder outside of FSX. I was hoping to be able to use it with FS9 also but I don't know how to go about it.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Archived