From the beginning...

Melk1971

I don't yet own a computer and so need help in selecting the right computer, software to install in making the best use of the computer (memory, speed, graphics card and so forth). I feel comfortable with flight sim product installations. I would not use the computer for any other applications except flight sim and Internet. Looking for a budget friendly set up that gets the job done and plays current releases. Sure would appreciate guidance as this is rather intimidating for a 45 year old.

Let's get the basics out of the way.

Tough choices to be made, if you want to go budget.

First, decide on which sim you would like. Bear in mind that the newer sims do need a better (more expensive) computer than the older ones.

Decide on a budget of sorts.

Laptop (convenience factor) or desktop?

Choose a joystick that has a twist grip. Do NOT expect any kind of realism factor without a joystick!

Pedals & throttle will push your budget up.

Best of luck, & we are always here to help.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

If I may suggest - you wrote that you want a computer that is capable to "do the job".

What exactly is "the job"? Can you fill in a few details what your requirements are and what got you to want to start simming? Did you watch some YouTube videos, read a publication, visited an exposition of some kind? Are you a real world pilot, wanting to do some less expensive rounds? What do you expect, what do you want to experience - to see?

This approach may sound alien at first, if you are used to "one-piece" software titles. But the more serious flight simulators aren't like that any more, they are more aptly described as "platforms" to display 3rd party content. So it is important to start out in the right direction and not to waste too much time and/or money on something that you may not enjoy because your expectations did not match what you got.

Look at my specs. Go do some google search on each component if you like. This is all you need for FSX Accel, Steam Edition, or P3d. Be aware that you WILL have to do some tweaks to the FSX.cfg and set up WINDOWS for best performance, but there is a lot of info on the forums to do that. Simple. But just 'new'. I bought the parts seperate (all) and build it myself. Saved a few $$'s. Price (3 yrs ago=$1200). Cheap if you ask me. Good hunting.

Oh, all of us, ALL, had to do this research (read, and read some more), head scratching, saving up, budget stretching, wife convincing, and comparison shoping on Amazon, and yes, even Ebay if need be to get a PC that meets our needs. We are ALL still straped by the fact that FSX Accel is 32 bit, but can live with it with a few work arounds. FS9 runs blazing fast. Don't have other sims so can't comment. But I am happy with my Rig. Beats a lot of prebuilt $3000 rigs out there. It's BALANCED (component wise) to where it just works. Period. Mis-match is #1 mistake some make. Get advice as to 'match' and not just the good stuff (higher cost ($) don't mean it's 'bettter' for YOU - OK? OK!).

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: I plan to get a better video card this year. Around $250 to $300 range. Then I can sim another 5 years with what I got. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is my motto.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I am also new to this - I have a 27 inch MAC Desktop PC but it looks like all these programs work on Microsoft - I don't want to buy a new computer unless absolutley necessary - Any suggestions? Can I run any programs on my Apple MAC/

thanks for your help

Archived