Windows 10 issues - Upgrading to FSX or P3D

Philipei

Hi folks,

I am looking for advice.

My current system runs FS 2004 in a fully enclosed attic cockpit with 5 screens. MaxiVista runs two screens for control panels via 2 slave PCs. The main PC - (Dell Optiplex 780 with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2992 Mhz, 2 Core(s), and AMD HD 5450) runs 3 screens using a Matrox TH2GO digital version, providing forward and both sides exterior views. OS Windows 7 pro. It is a very modest main PC but it works well for FS 2004 generally comfortably achieving 45 fps with most of the main sliders well to the right.

My plan is to upgrade to FSX (or possibly P3D which I know very little about), mainly for the add-on selection, in particular the scenery options. I have concerns about FSX compatibility with windows 10 and am currently leaning towards sticking with windows 7 in a new computer built around an i7 4790k CPU, but I am heading into unknown territory and would very much appreciate advice from those who have already traveled this road. What is the best way to proceed?

Particular concerns:

New Main PC spec.

Windows 7 or 10.

FSX disc or SE.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Philip

Lots of folks say Windows 10 has given them no problems. Many more have said it's been nothing but problems. If I upgrade my computer it will be to a Windows 7 system. Do you have the FSX discs? If not, they ain't too cheap if they are available. FSX-SE goes on sale every so often.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks guys...sounds encouraging. If I do go W10, it would be on a new PC, probably i7 7700k, so it would be on new installation on a clean HD. Do you know if P3D would complicate matters if on the same HD?

Also, I see some comments saying FSX SE works better on W10. Any idea if that is accurate?

I have fs9, fsx, p3dv2.5 all on the same Games ssd with Win7. There are no issues with having all three (or 4 if you count fsx-se) on the same drive. currently I have fsx-se and p3d(v3) on a w10 drive and don't notice any significant difference between any of them.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I moved FSX from Vista to 10 last spring. It was relatively smooth. If I had to do it again now, I think I'd be lost. The game is still on my Vista machine and worked last time I started it there. That was now more than 6 months ago. My operation is simpleton compared to yours, so any advice from me would be a waste. I would rather jump off the cliffs of Kilkee or drive a lorrie through the Gap Of Dunloe than shame myself trying to be technical on this forum.

:rolleyes: Redd

It is actually not that difficult. The main thing to do is NOT install FSX in the default location at C:\Program Files(x86), but to for example C:\FSX, this to avoid issues with UAC, and should be done like that for both Win 7 and Win 10. Second, search the forum for uiautomationcore.dll and heed the advice there.

Then, if room in the machine and your budget allows, install FSX on a drive different from the one with Windows. Even better, use SSDs, but now it gets expensive....

Jorgen

Thanks Guys.

I was originally thinking in terms of a new main PC built around an i7 4790k CPU and a NVidia GTX780 or 970, on a Win 7 OS.

After considering your advice (thanks again) I am now leaning towards Win 10, which leaves the door open to a i7 7700 k CPU and a good NVidia GPU. Then with FSX SE installed on a new SSD hopefully things will go smoothly.

I have also been getting advice to forget about FSX and go to P3D. Apparently it has the coding to allow it to take advantage of hyper-threading on modern CPUs, which FSX cannot do. Have any of you guys experience on P3D and, if so, do you see it as the future?

And, Loyd – do you actually have W7 & 10 on one computer? Like Redd, I’m not ultra technical, but I never knew that was possible. And do you run FSX on W7 because of problems on W10?

By the way Redd – driving a lorry through the Gap of Dunloe is not a major problem – well, I guess there are size limitations to everything. But jumping off the cliffs of Kilkee is a definite no-no. :)

I jumped to P3D and the performance is much better. Be aware some things were removed, like real world weather, and many of the default aircraft. You'll have to copy and paste them over if you want to see AI traffic.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Hi Guys,

Following on from you advice / suggestions, I asked “Overclockers” UK to give me a quote for a system built around the 7700k and the spec below is what they suggest. It comes in at Stg 1,677, which doesn’t seem too bad. It will be the last system I ever buy so your advice / observations / suggestions would be most welcome. I am doubtful about the GPU, what do you think?

Thanks very much guys. I look forward to your comments.

Philip

Custom Intel i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz System

XX-065-OK Full Cable Management

GX-106-ZT Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Graphics Card

HD-193-SA Samsung 1.0TB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D

V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E1T0B/EU)

HD-024-TS Toshiba (7K1000.D) 1TB SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache HDD - OEM

(DT01ACA100)

CD-069-AS Asus 24x DVD±RW DRW-24D5MT SATA ReWriter - Black (OEM)

CA-004-SF Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply

- Black

MY-066-TG Team Group Elite 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz

Dual Channel Kit - Black (TPKD416GM2400HC16DC01)

CA-203-CM Cooler Master HAF X Gaming Tower Case - Black (RC-942)

HS-037-CS Corsair Hydro Series H80i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU

Cooler (CW-9060024-WW)

CP-62G-IN Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz ( Kaby Lake ) Socket LGA1151

Processor - OEM

MB-31H-MS MSI Z270 PC Mate Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX

Motherboard

SW-172-MS Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)

Archived