How to set up FSX and Nvidia settings on new GTX 1070

captpola

Hope all is well, it's been a while! I finally caught up and have some time to get back into flight sim. I parted my Alienware x51 r2 and added a 500w PS and an Nvidia GTX 1070. I really can't seem to get this flight sim looking top notch like I was hoping. I'm sure it just needs a lot of tweaking and editing of the CFG file. If anyone has a similar setup or any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

PNY GTX 1070

i7 4790

8GB RAM (upgradable to 16)

1TB HDD

500W PS

*Also having some real slow performance just loading FSX and all the add ons...upgrade ram? Upgrade to SSD?

Thanks guys!

Alan

Hope all is well, it's been a while! I finally caught up and have some time to get back into flight sim. I parted my Alienware x51 r2 and added a 500w PS and an Nvidia GTX 1070. I really can't seem to get this flight sim looking top notch like I was hoping. I'm sure it just needs a lot of tweaking and editing of the CFG file. If anyone has a similar setup or any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

PNY GTX 1070

i7 4790

8GB RAM (upgradable to 16)

1TB HDD

500W PS

*Also having some real slow performance just loading FSX and all the add ons...upgrade ram? Upgrade to SSD?

Thanks guys!

Alan

The 4790 is a pretty good chip and can run at 4Ghz. which is faster than what a lot of people use. A SSD should definitely help your load times. But be aware, it probably won't be noticeably faster while actually flying.

You mentioned it didn't look right. If this is your first stint with Nvidia go to their site on your computer and learn about it. There are a ton of things you can do with Nvidia. Which also means there are a ton of things that just aren't set to your desires.

As to the tweaking. I really have had good luck just getting Nvidia right then doing a plug and play with FSX on several computers. I'd do that before tweaking the config.

If you choose to try tweaking, there is a very highly recommended tweaking guide often mentioned on this forum. I can't remember the name off hand. But if I ever decide to tweak, I'll download that guide first and be truly careful reading the TWEAKING WARNINGS before I change a thing. ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Do you have a standard setup to use with Nvidia or just different with every system..

I can't say I have a standard setup. I use what suits that day on that machine. ;)

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 3 years later...

I'm running W10, 512 SSD , GTX 1070; however, terrine is low resolution with blocks that look ok and other blocks are are grayed out.

My guess is that I have not set up the GTX 1070 properly. On the other hand, I saw a utube video saying that FSX will not support a high rez graphics card, see: