Flying The North American T-28

Love this FSX rendition by Anthony Lynch. Payware and well worth it. http://www.antsairplanes.com/trojan.html

I had an opportunity to fly one in real life back in 1990 , while I was still active duty Navy having returned from my USS Abraham Lincoln cruise. It has been a few years but I am certain the R/W flight occured in December of 1990. The real aircraft was owned and operated by The CO of VP-65 at NAS Point Mugu the same base my F/A-18 Squadron was based. We flew out of Camarillo airport and flew out towards The Channel Islands for some aerobatics over The Pacific. An incredible and fun flight as I had never flown a radial engine aircraft. Great to recreate that flight in FSX. Including one real pic pf me about to climb into the cockpit of the real deal. The aircraft seen in these screenshots is not the true US Navy version as it lacks a tailhook. Anthony has modeled all variants of The Trojan and are available to purchase via the link I provided.

Enjoy ! Mike

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ant's sure makes some nice planes. That's a fun one for sure. :)

Glad you had a chance to fly the real thing. Always safer with a Trojan. :rolleyes: -- Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-7700 3.6GHz / GTX1660 6GB / 32GB RAM / 49" Samsung CHG90 / WIN10

Nice shots Mike...I like the real one as well. Used to go to the airshow out at Point Mugu, love the feel of that NAS, one of the best. Hot and dry, those old buildings that look like a school yard slash southern cal military. Way cool post, thanks so much!

Mark

If it has a 2-bladed prop, it is a T-28A (no Navy use). 3 blades, no hook, it's a Navy T-28B. 3 blades and a hook, it's a Navy T-28C. That of course, does not cover foreign military sales and T-28D conversions which is a whole new story.

The Navy had many more T-28B's than T-28C's. Because they were the same except for the extra strength/equipment for student carrier qualifications, there was a little less cost and maintenance to fly T-28Bs for the more mundane flight training.

I made my first carrier landing in the back seat of a T-28C from VT-5, flown by a Marine Captain instructor flight lead. Also included a no-foolin' deck launch aboard USS LEXINGTON (CV-16) at that time.

I was a Naval Academy Midshipman on annual summer training, and that year our class had received a month's aviation orientation around the Pensacola area. The T-28B/C was always highly regarded by those Naval Aviators who got a chance to fly it.

I never got the chance, since I went from primary training in the T-34B to basic jet training in the T-2A, but that's again, another story.

Ant's T-28s are wonderfully well done and contain a lot of detail.

Great raindrop effects and window fogging when you come down from altitude and really nice lighting and the engine sounds are superb.

The A is freeware / donationware and the B/C and D variants are payware and worth every penny.

Ant must have put a tremendous amount of work into them and they are a real credit to him.

I thoroughly recommend them.

Cheers

silver

One of the all time great airplanes, mentor to several generations of naval aviators, and great shots of it Mike. Every now and then a r/w version in the 60's white & orange Navy training paint scheme shows up at our local airport here

Mike Great pic's of the T-28. I was at Lemoore NAS CA. and we had a lot of T-28. They flew to Yuma AZ. a lot and brought parts down there to keep the A-7 flying. Thanks for the memory. Dan
As a P-51 pilot said :pilot: "She Climbs Like A Home Sick Angel":pilot:

Thanks so much for the replies here. Seems The T-28 evokes good memories from some of you Navy vets as well. Need to get this girl out of my hangar more often , as others have mentioned , this FSX rendering is truly a masterpiece. Fly Navy ! Mike
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An interesting conversion of the T-28A is the Sud Aviation "FENNEC" (desert fox), modifiying 150 T28A airframes to counter insurgency ground attack by installing the B model 1425 Hp engine and 3 blades propeller, adding weaponry anchor points under the wings, and crew armor protection plates.

4-14-2010_113.JPG

More info here: http://http://avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com/article-24140042.html

Archived