Newbie FSX Stream

jprism

Computer - Lenovo i5-6400 2.7ghz / 1tb SSD / 16gb ram / Nivdia GeForce GT 7300

Joystick? - Looking to buy one that works well with FSX & X-Plane. Wish to control ailerons, elevator, rudder & throttle with some buttons to customize for other functions.

Addons? - Live in middle Tennessee looking to expand airports, etc. Also interest in planes private prop, turbo and jets (not so much commerical)

Appreciate all help thanks in advance...Jim

Computer - Lenovo i5-6400 2.7ghz / 1tb SSD / 16gb ram / Nivdia GeForce GT 7300

Joystick? - Looking to buy one that works well with FSX & X-Plane. Wish to control ailerons, elevator, rudder & throttle with some buttons to customize for other functions.

Addons? - Live in middle Tennessee looking to expand airports, etc. Also interest in planes private prop, turbo and jets (not so much commerical)

Depends how much you want to spend on a joystick, I've used a range over the years and there are just 2 things I insist on- a twist grip for rudder, and a throttle slider or lever that has a click-stop about halfway (so you can feel it click into place rather than have to keep looking down at it)

This is my current baby, it set me back about 40 GB pounds (49 US dollars) and works fine in FSX (never tried it in X-Plane), it's got a twist grip for rudder and a click-stop throttle and a bunch of buttons.

An added bonus is that there are 2 buttons on the back of the big throttle lever that you can use for rudder control if you like-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/t-flight-hotas-x_zpsmqtdecnn.jpg~original

Joystick: I'm very happy with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Properly set-up, it'll handle your needs.

Skills: The default system has a learning center and multiple missions. I strongly advise you to complete a bunch of missions. While doing that you can start to realize what your priorities might be. (How and what you prefer to fly.) This can save you a ton of aggravation and money fooling with some aspect which doesn't appeal to you.

Only after you learn some skills by flying missions and studying should you start to consider addons!

Be aware FSX lives and dies by the clock speed of the CPU! 2.7Ghz. isn't going to fly well with multiple addons. Yet another reason it might be best if you decided what your priorities are before you pull out the credit card!

If you prefer addon scenery, I'd advise you to stay with default planes. And vice versa, addon planes, stick with default scenery. As you go with addons you'll soon discover what I'm saying.

Before you try flying with multiple addons at a time, you should consider an FSX related upgrade of your hardware! Many people fly quite happily at 3Ghz. or less. But they have learned what their limitations are and cope with them.

If you want to have it all, you need to build a computer designed for FSX! NOT A "GAMING COMPUTER!!" What is generally marketed as a "Gaming Computer" is one with super video cards and uses lots of CPU cores and multi-functions. FSX needs the opposite. I feel a i5 or i7 running at least 4Ghz with 4 to 8 gig of fast ram and a good, but not hugely expensive video card should be your minimum hardware goal.

FSX, including Steam was designed when they thought a single core CPU running 6Ghz or more would be the future of gaming. Steam, Acceleration, and even P3D have ways to make the old FSX platform more adept at the computers we know have. But they are still just crutches. The original useage limits of the game pretty much still apply.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey guys thanks for the immediate response. I found the Thrustmaster Hotas X (like the sepertae throttle) on Amazon for $38.99 and will purchase that shortly. As to the Addons, I will stay away from those until I learn more on how to fly, control and navigate the FSX planes i.e. 172 and Mooney 2100.

Again thanks so much, Jim

Archived