Vought TA-7 Corsair II

flyboy208

Great shots of a great old bird!

We used to those things Great Whites, 'cause they seem to have a habit of eating people. Mostly on the Flight Deck of the carriers, but they like to munch on folks ashore too, it seems.

I just stayed the heck away from them. Scared me no end. I was constantly looking for anything I could throw down the intake if one started to eat me. Chocks, chains, fire extinguishers, bosun's mates, anythng useless...:D

Thanks for a great post!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

HI Mike,

Yeah - that is one chunky workhorse - looks great in you pix - be interested to see how RazBam makes out in DCS - where every plane is a "study sim"... I've got a bunch of hours in the DCS F86 - and it's a hoot...

That paint is much darker than I recall seeing in real life - but looks oh so good...

I remember seeing a video of a guy getting sucked into a jet intake - think it was an A-6 or EA-6B - guy was extremely lucky - ripped his helmet off but he was pulled out before hitting the blades...

Go Navy !

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bJQZKiw.png

"AD" tail code - VA-174 Replacement Squadron "RAG" at NAS Cecil in my day.

The A-7E was radically different from it's A-7A/B predecessors on the inside because it had a new type INS and integrated weapon system that turned out to be very good. Earlier INs in Navy planes like the A-6 and RA-5 were old designs and often failed in flight, needing the crew to revert to old-time nav methods.

A division of A-7s coming into the break in echelon would frequently result in comments like "here come the rubber duckies" because they were kinda short, fat and bobbled around a little while holding position. However, it was a fine airplane for it's time.

The incident in question was a cat hookup/runup incident of an A-6, when either a cat crew or squadron maintenance person made a wrong turn at the wrong time. Luckily the engine mounting shaft bullet fairing and shape inside the nacelle kept him from getting to the compressor face.

When I was stationed at the Navy Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, I used to watch the A-7s practice bombing runs with live ammo not far from NAS Oceana back in the day. :D I don't think that would be doable in todays world. :D Anyway, great shots of the old girl Mike!! :)
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks very much Gentlemen ! The only A-7's i encountered while in the Navy were at NAS Point Mugu, attached to VAQ-34. Have heard a few sea stories about scary stuff on the flight deck with them. I served in Hornet Squadrons and alot of my Shipmates preferred the A-7.

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived