Running instruments on a 2nd PC

GridNorth

I want to run Airbus/737 etc. panels, PFD, MFD, MDU,etc. on my laptop over my home network. I'm currently running FSX Steam addition on my Desktop. Whats the best software for doing this? When I move the instruments onto a second monitor FSX crashes after a few minutes.

Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series 3072MB

Windows 10

Alan

Theoretically, but with a frame rate hit, you should be able to accomplish instruments on a second monitor with one PC. I am doing it now, though with FSX, Nvidea card, and Windows 7. So I know how that goes, my setup is different and there may be some setting or incompatibility that prevents you from doing what you want.

I have looked briefly at some software called WideView that lets you run a second monitor on a second networked PC. The reviews were not all raving though. Some points I found when investigating were:

WideView software has the potential to produce the smoothest operation of all multi-monitor options. This method theoretically produces the highest frame rates possible through video rendering across multiple networked PCs. This method unfortunately has the following distinct disadvantages:

• There is a requirement for multiple PCs on a common network

• There is a requirement for an FSX installation and any desired 3rd-party upgrades installed on each PC

• There is difficulty with aligning monitor views which are rendered via independent FSX sessions

• AI traffic cannot be synchronized. WideView slave PCs go into slew mode to provide their views causing AI traffic to not be synchronized between PCs. Traffic will run into your aircraft because it does not know it exists.

Another idea, which I have no experience with myself though, is to use Matrox hardware and connect to a single display port on one PC, and connect two monitors to the Matrox device. This solution seems a bit "old" given today's modern video cards come with multiple monitor ports and the capability of spanning (e.g. Nvidea surround option). But it may work for you, and possibly have advantages I do not know of.

Good luck!

If I attach a second monitor, Windows 10 does not detect it. It seems this is a common problem. I found some software from Aerosoft but it will not work with my Saitek panels. I have FSUIPC but I'm reluctant to splash out on Wide FS as I can't get the demo to find the desktop on the network and in any case it would require another program to work.

Alan

If I attach a second monitor, Windows 10 does not detect it. It seems this is a common problem.

Alan

WOW! That really surprises me!!

I have two desktops with AMD EYEFINITY cards in them. One is still on Windows 7, which I prefer. The other is on Windows X, which she prefers. Mine normally uses three and at times four monitors. Hers normally uses two.

Both desktops run on their AMD provided Nvidia monitor control software. And I can in theory use and totally control up to six (6) monitors on each. Have you checked to make sure your NVIDIA control setup is installed and working properly? Have you gone to the download page and made sure you have the correct drivers for your specific card?

As a test, I just plugged four (4) monitors into her Windows X desktop. I then went to the NVIDIA control panel and it told Windows I had four monitors. I then set the color and brightness, and the monitor configuration I wanted. The whole process took longer to physically position the monitors and plug the cables in than it did to get X to recognize and utilize all four monitors!!

One big thing I just remembered from my first multiple monitor experiment on AMD with Windows 7. Just because a cable plugs into a port on the video card doesn't always mean it is the correct cable to use for that specific port. You have to go online at the AMD site and discover if your specific connection/s need to have an active or a passive "dongel!!"

That's exactly what I had to do to first use multiple monitors with Windows 7. And I repeated the process when I installed the Windows X setup as well. I don't think the issue was Windows related at all. It had to do with how your card relates to various configurations and cables!

Good Luck! Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Looks interesting but my anti-virus software has prevented me down loading it. I'll try again tomorrow. I think it may also need Widefs in order to connect but I was thinking of buying that anyway. Thank you.

Al

Did you try the EYEFINITY SOFTWARE from AMD? It should have come with your video card. If not, go to their website, input your card info, and download it there. I see no reason you can't use up to six (6) monitors with that card. (Just as advertised.)

That seems a lot easier than trying to snyc two computers!!

I can't get this to work. No matter what I try either Eyefinity or Windows sees the lower resolution monitor as monitor 1 and it reverts to monitor 1 as soon as I plug it in. When I try to "extend" the displays Windows will not allow me to save it. To be honest I find the networking method more straightforward.

Alan

I can't get this to work. No matter what I try either Eyefinity or Windows sees the lower resolution monitor as monitor 1 and it reverts to monitor 1 as soon as I plug it in. When I try to "extend" the displays Windows will not allow me to save it. To be honest I find the networking method more straightforward.

Alan

I saved my three screen setup as my default flight. When I start the flight the center monitor has right wing view showing. I move it to the right monitor. Then repeat the process moving the left wing view to the left monitor. Other than that, I have to do no additional acts to have a three screen about 150* view.

Resolution? My center screen is higher resolution than the outside ones. So I have it set at 80% and the outside ones at 100%. This is also part of the default flight as well.

This view of London City Airport is what I typically see. But as always, do what makes the best sense to you.

BTW: Could you send a shot of how your setup looks? I'd be interested in seeing it.

EGLC 3 screens.jpg

Archived