AI Flightplans questions

neilking2706

Given WOAI don't update very often, for the first time I downloaded an AI Flightplan (Virgin Atlantic Summer 2016 as it happens) as part of an attempt to update manually myself.

1. Do I have to use the a/c it suggests or can I rewrite the Aircraft traffic file with the Virgin AI aircraft I already have?

2. 2nd question is the Read Me said that, if I was going to instal manually using TTools (which I am), I need to change the speed values to 200. (I presume the speed value is the 490 in, for e.g., AC#1,490,"Virgin Atlantic B747-400"). Just out of curiosity, why is that?

(BTW, I don't mind if timetables are not bang up to date realistic so long as I've got some reasonably contemporary eye candy (e.g. 789s and 350s) in the queue for take off.)

Thanks in advance.

Neil

1. Do I have to use the a/c it suggests or can I rewrite the Aircraft traffic file with the Virgin AI aircraft I already have?

Rewrite as you desire.

2. 2nd question is the Read Me said that, if I was going to instal manually using TTools (which I am), I need to change the speed values to 200. (I presume the speed value is the 490 in, for e.g., AC#1,490,"Virgin Atlantic B747-400"). Just out of curiosity, why is that?

Read this- http://calclassic.proboards.com/post/59704

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Funny I took a deep breath and cannibalised a WOAI FP myself today.

This will mean that any future WOAI update will trash it!

SO I hedged my bets and renamed it, saving the original with a .bak extension.

You can use any aircraft you choose, just copy+paste the "title=" description from aircraft.cfg over to the aircraft.txt file, to avoid typo errors.

Sometimes the newer ones are so much better it's worth having a look.

My understanding is that if FP's use "@" to force an arrival time, you need to set the speed to some low value to avoid actually arriving before the "@" time in which case it will not show. It's a TT bug.

200 I suspect is arbitrarily low enough.

You sometimes see "Speed optimised" files and I've used them with their higher speed values to good effect. I believe they just then use the computed arrival times.

EDIT: Ah! I see faster guns have been drawn while I typed.

As Bean points out, there is much intelligence available on this topic.

Thanks also to Wing_Z for taking the trouble to reply.

I take your point about updating to more recent AI aircraft but might that risk a penalty in terms of frame rate [or something like that, don't know exact terminology] considering that my computer is not the highest of specs. In other words, if I fill LHR/EGLL up with a new fleet of new British Airways AI aircraft, might not the result be that everything starts jerking along and going white?

Yes but you'd only know after you've tried!

So as with all things flightsim, go a step at a time, make a backup of the last one to return to, if it turns to custard.

My computer is 10 years old albeit with a fairly decent (but still old, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250) graphics card.

160 newish AI at EGLL doesn't give it too much trouble.

Just to add, don't forget the % as well in your TTools Flight Plan.

You can have the flight plan set at 100% but if you set the FS traffic for example to 50% you won't see the aircraft.

In other words you can use this to reduce the amount of aircraft showing up to reduce the amount of traffic at an airport and thus reduce your frame rates, if you want to of course.

Archived