REX Worldwide Airports HD

usb777

Can anyone tell me if this REX add-on does anything to fix the awful look of runways above sbout 3000 feet--the rediculously bright white centerline is the main offender? (Not the lights, mind you, the lines).

I'd buy this--or any other add-on--that fixes that. Sadly, I fear that add-on textures are not used once you get a little altitude and we're stuck with what FSX creates which is glaringly unrealistic.

Anyone know of, or have another solution?

I have REX overdrive as welll and they have several different sets of runway lighting to choose from in their.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Don't think it is. On the simMarket site it says that the REX Worldwide Airports HD filesize is 3.1GB whereas the Zinertek HD Airport Graphics filesize is only 150MB (unless it's just a loader program). Also, the Zinertek package has been out for about 2 years now.

I think the allusion is about purpose, not about actual files. They both do EXACTLY the same thing. And both go about dealing with the restrictions of the default textures differently. At the end of the day there are only a limited number of textures in the default sim for the things both products cover so ANY like-for-like replacement has to deal with the same limitations.

Personally, the REX approach is perhaps a little overkill - I gave never, for example, flown from a real airport in the morning and seen runways and taxiways, aprons or buildings change appearance on returning in the afternoon.

In making one default more `accurate` (or more correctly `different`) you can only make another less so...

While their modular approach seems to offer more choice, in reality how many of us actually change the sky and cloud textures for every flight using REX Texture Direct? How many of us actually use REX Essential to actually select weather-related textures for every flight? And those textures CAN change for every flight (or even within that flight).

While it may seem to have improvement in choice, is it an unnecessary one, UNLESS they have expanded the envelope of defaults? Now THAT would be impressive and worthy of the hype.

But they haven't. So possibly the Z version is not only cheaper, but also more honest with the consumer?

• 1 month later...
I don't get the idea of having choices inside a global enhancement package. There is not much satisfaction and no end to tinkering of which is better and which is not. The developer should do that work of creating a best fit for all before release and give us a set it and forget it addon instead of handing over an additional work of picking up a theme that look good at one place and out of place at another. We already have addon airports for that.

It's the same as Zinertek HD Airports if I read correctly.

Wim

It's not. It's far superior.

All Zinertech does is sharpen the stock textures a tiny bit. REX completely replaces them with high resolution photo textures and then goes on to give you a choice of hundreds of different texture sets.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't get the idea of having choices inside a global enhancement package. There is not much satisfaction and no end to tinkering of which is better and which is not. The developer should do that work of creating a best fit for all before release and give us a set it and forget it addon instead of handing over an additional work of picking up a theme that look good at one place and out of place at another. We already have addon airports for that.

And if they didn't give you choices you'd whine and complain about not having choices.

This way everyone can make his or her own decisions about how they want things to look, using their own ideas of what your typical airport you've never been to and probably never will is likely to look.

Heck, you can even decide to replace the texture set with another after a while if you're for example changing from flying mainly in the US to flying mainly in Africa (as no doubt airports will have a different overall style there).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And if they didn't give you choices you'd whine and complain about not having choices.

This way everyone can make his or her own decisions about how they want things to look, using their own ideas of what your typical airport you've never been to and probably never will is likely to look.

Heck, you can even decide to replace the texture set with another after a while if you're for example changing from flying mainly in the US to flying mainly in Africa (as no doubt airports will have a different overall style there).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is not about choices, if it didn't look satisfactory in the previews and may be a demo, I wouldn't get it. Yes US and africa have different styles (it is however up to the texture creator how specific he wants to go with this, FSX ones are meant to fit all) but you don't get my point I already stated, we have addon airports for that. Having to remember to test run for every region which set you want and not to say if I am flying long haul from one region to another exiting and reloading a different theme midflight?

The package replaces global default textures, it should replace them with something which is globally fitting like the ones it is replacing.

To me, the best part about have several themes to choose from is that it makes it easy to freshen up the sim after you get tired of seeing the same textures over and over again.

While I did get the Zinertek addon, and it is somewhat of an improvement, even those textures get repetitive when they are at every default airport.

I have yet to get the REX addon though it is on my list, if and when I get some sim time in the hopefully near future.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

To me, the best part about have several themes to choose from is that it makes it easy to freshen up the sim after you get tired of seeing the same textures over and over again.

While I did get the Zinertek addon, and it is somewhat of an improvement, even those textures get repetitive when they are at every default airport.

I have yet to get the REX addon though it is on my list, if and when I get some sim time in the hopefully near future.

peace,

the Bean

And there's the reason for `choice v. Not choice`. One mans `satisfaction` is another's `boring repetition`.

And the justification for the existence of both is the difference in price.

I have it. Runs great! I see no FPS hit. They will also be releasing custom airports like the upcoming Salt Lake City which will replace the textures on the Big Airports. These will be free. Great little addon to update those default airports. :)

Totally agree. It's nice that the REX devs are adding these airport packs at no extra cost -that alone makes it worth the price of admission.

I think they did a great job on KSLC. Salt Lake Int'l, along with my Traffic360, now has Delta pretty well represented, and WWA HD is the icing on the cake, I couldn't be happier...

I'd like to sidetrack this thread a bit, and see what other airports REX WWHD users would like to see them release in the addon packs in the future.

While we're in the west, I'd like to see how they would do KABQ, Albuquerque International Sunport. Back east, I'd also like to see them attempt a DC airport, like Andrews, or even KDCA Reagan Int'l.

Reagan would be a nice choice, as American Airlines is a big player at Reagan National.

While we're at it: Charlotte Douglas Int'l, KPHL Philly or KPIT Pittsburgh Int'l.

See a theme here? Airports that are major hubs for major airlines. Although Pittsburgh lost it's US Airways hub, it still has the most US Airways flights.

These are just a few examples. I'm almost positive many would like to see other country's airports, and not just U.S. based airports. Me too.

Just throwing ideas against a wall here.

Seeing what sticks, and hopefully seeing what other airports we want to see.

Maybe the REX devs could draw from it, idk. It's gotta be worth a try I figure...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Archived