Issue with internet connection & real world weather

liner simpilot

Hello simmers, it has been awhile since entering a posting. Today I started up FS9, set it all up as usual upon going into real weather, it gave me this error (see pic), then I took a look at my internet connection (see pic) and it is connected. I have never seen this error before, I even rebooted FS9 several, times to see it it was fluke it still did not work. I am confused if anyone has had this issue in the past. Thanks for reading & responding to my post. Kenny

error real weather.jpg

internet connection.jpg

The MS RealWeather server (the default FS weather site) has a habit of going down from time-to-time. ;) Sometimes it can go down for a couple of hours, sometimes for a couple of days, but it still keeps coming back. :pilot:

Sometimes, I think, it has to do with how your ISP connects to the MS server on a given day. :confused:

Just give it time.

Thanks gerry & pschlute for the response. I know it is internet so it says, but how real is it ? As I left PHX on a pouring rainy day awhile ago and it shows clouds no rain. I still like using it, and schlute you are right it is amazing it works, but I don't buy on the internet as I don't like my card out there so therefore I use what FS9 has to offer for free. Kenny

I too have had this happen a few times.

I now have Active Sky V6 which connects to the internet and sometimes the weather is pretty much up to date and like above it is totally different.

Not long ago I got clear skies but had lightning and rain, where was it coming from lol?

Thanks gerry & pschlute for the response. I know it is internet so it says, but how real is it ? As I left PHX on a pouring rainy day awhile ago and it shows clouds no rain. I still like using it, and schlute you are right it is amazing it works, but I don't buy on the internet as I don't like my card out there so therefore I use what FS9 has to offer for free. Kenny

Its kind of real, mostly. ;)

Google the word METAR and you'll find NOAA's aviation weather site. This is still an on-going collection of hourly weather data. I say "still" because METAR is getting long in the tooth in the real aviation community.

At some point or other, ALL FS weather generation programs use METAR data. Rememeber also that METAR reports are usually taken at the top or bottom of the hour, so there will always be some time lag and the report is limited to what was happening at the time of the observation. To compound that, most METAR stations these days are automated so what you see is literally what was sensed at the time of the observation.

FS Real Weather dates back to a freeware program called, ironically, Real Weather. :D This was back in the FSfW95/ FS98 days when everyone was saying "Who the heck is Pete Dawson?". It was one of those great ideas that MS folded into FS.

Back then, it was handy if you could interpret METAR report data. You could fine tune the weather you flew in or you could generate a custom "weather set" of reports between airports based on your flight time. Today, being able to read a METAR report is like being able to program in Fortran. Its nice you know how, but really..?

.. when everyone was saying "Who the heck is Pete Dawson?".

Who is Pete Dawson?

Any relation to Richard?

Maybe you are referring to Pete Dowson?

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

There you go again. Of COURSE he meant Pete Dowson. We all got that. No 'maybe'. You need to chill. Lighten up. Take a vacation. Berating (all you good for?) indeed.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks to once again responding to my post. I did not know I was going to get such great feedback on this subject. Reading the postings especially Bobs is very interesting non the least. I wondered where the FS real weather came from as for program (Real weather). I knew it was old because I have always used FS real weather from the internet as I like the clouds today that it generates. real or not. Thanks Kenny

Archived