Running slow

farrout

Everything was going great, until I started playing with adding new scenery and aircraft.

Now, it takes over 5 minutes to load a free flight, and my CPU is running at 100% most of the time.

Here are some details.

svchost.exe is killing my machine.

I downloaded a cleaner and ran it.

Re installed FSX:SE

svchost.exe still running

Processor is AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5800+ 3.00 Ghz

RAM 8GB

Hard drive 1TB

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dennis

100% CPU running FSX is normal. Slow loading after adding scenery and aircraft is not that unusual. "Add-ons" are always at the user's risk. If you remove them and get the performance back you had before, then you learned something.

If you gave us a lot more information, you will get more specific help.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I will throw my two cents in here. Expand the svchost in question (it should be the one showing the high CPU usage - typically greater than 25%) using Task Manager and check its Properties. See if one of the highlighted items is "wuauserv". If it's one of the services running then Windows Update is doing its thing. Give it time to complete its task. Sometimes this may take a very long time (several hours) as this specific service has known issues. This has been my experience running Windows 7 - Professional. Microsoft pushes out their "standard" Windows updates every second Tuesday of the month. Jim
I am a King Air fan. [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The obvious things:

What version of FSX (Boxed, P3D, SE)

What SPECIFIC aircraft and scenery you installed.

Your graphic option settings in the sim.

Note: Your 3.0 GHz CPU is typically considered marginal for FSX. You cannot run high detailed aircraft, scenery at high graphic settings at that processor speed.

You need MINIMUM of 3.2GHz to shift FSX settings and add-ons toward the higher end quality and 3.5 to 4.0+ to get high quality add-ons and settings to work smoothly.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Download svchost_viewer.exe (Google to find it for you). That will tell you what the servicehost program is up to.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

The obvious things:

What version of FSX (Boxed, P3D, SE)

What SPECIFIC aircraft and scenery you installed.

Your graphic option settings in the sim.

-Pv-

As stated in the original post: SE

All graphics options set to LOW

Cessna C172SP from X39

All you installed is the Cessna and no scenery and your frame rates dropped too low.

What happens if you fly a FSX default Microsoft plane with no mods to it? Do your frames go back up?

-Pv-

All you installed is the Cessna and no scenery and your frame rates dropped too low.

What happens if you fly a FSX default Microsoft plane with no mods to it? Do your frames go back up?

-Pv-

I haven't mentioned frames. The loading of the flight is what I am having problems with.

It stalls when it gets to the part about 'Loading auto-generated scenery...'

So the status bar slows down while loading your newly addon scenery? Have you unchecked that new scenery in your FSX library and tried it again? Are you using an addon for X39 airport (Tampa North Aero Park)?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My cures for slow loading of FSX, for what they are worth:

If you have HDDs, clean up superfluous "stuff", then defrag.

If you have HDDs, and if possible, split your installation between (physical) disks, so that your OS is on one and FSX and addons are on one or more others.

If you can afford them, get SSDs instead of HDDs. Get them LARGE - larger than you think you'll need them - as FSX installations have a way of growing.

If you can, overclock your system. Be careful and watch your temperatures!

Jorgen

So the status bar slows down while loading your newly addon scenery? Have you unchecked that new scenery in your FSX library and tried it again? Are you using an addon for X39 airport (Tampa North Aero Park)?

I unchecked and uninstalled everything, I think. Using only default aircraft and airports that came with SE. Now taking about 10 minutes to load a flight using graphics set to 'Medium High'

I unchecked and uninstalled everything, I think. Using only default aircraft and airports that came with SE. Now taking about 10 minutes to load a flight using graphics set to 'Medium High'

Sounds like you have something running interference with your FSX. Antivirus program set to "silent mode"?? If you are on a HDD, have you recently defragged? I usually around 1.45 to 2 minutes max when I hit Run.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Archived