Design of instrument panels for FS2004

Jaumet

You can try the Demo version of FS Panel Studio for free here:

http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

There is also a freeware product, originally created for a much earlier version of MSFS, but I find itt works well in FS0 (with the acceptance of a few minor quirks). The program was available in this site as recently as two months ago, it is called CFGEDIT. You'll find it here... https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=50269260... at the bottom of the page. To see how it works, check out my recent article on 2D panels... https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?16724-The-Flight-Simulator-2D-Panel... All the panels shown in the article were made with CFGEDIT. Hope this helps. By the waay, Tiger1's advice is good. I have never used this program, or the demo, so I cannot comment, but if your working in FS2004, you'll need only CFGEDIT. Good luck!

I must admit that I do not use any program other than notepad. As long as one has the required instrument xml & bitmaps in the panel folder, its then just a question (usually) of adjusting the first two set of digits to position it left/right & up/down, & then adjusting the size with the last two set of digits. Have your model loaded & showing the VC or 2D panel, then open the Panel.cfg & place the instrument in the .cfg, when done save & then reselect the model. Your new instrument should show somewhere...... trial & error after that!

Good luck

For the 2D panel, I just open the bitmap for that particular panel in XNView (a picture editor), scale it to 1:1, and then, when I place my cursor on the upper left point of the gauge, I get a readout at the bottom of the page of the position in pixels it is located. That's usually a good starting point for gauge placement. If I need sizing info, I just move my cursor to the bottom right of the "hole" for the gauge, and do a little math. It usually get's me real close. If there is a gauge in place already that I am replacing with another, I just utilize the in-place gauge's size data for the new one. Of course, if there is a gauge in place I want to repplace with another, I can just use all 4 of it's coords. Both positioning and sizing. Usually works out great.

But all that's just my methods. Your mileage may vary, as they say :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived