Flying in and out of Chagual Peru

scrollinggrandpa

Hello everyone. I recently installed the scenery etc. for the Chagual Peru airport. I realize it is supposed to be a dangerous and hard airport to depart and land at but I am wondering if I am missing something. I noticed the approaces in youtube show planes slowly descending through the maze of mountains and finally making that left turn over the river to line up on the runway. In my FSX this airport appears in basically a hole in the earth and you must almost fly straight down and maybe be able to come out of the dive to access the runway. Reverse for leaving the airport. Walls of mountains all around and you must climb out almost vertically. Can someone please tell me what gives with this?

Sorry Mr. Zippy, I should have thought of including the file. I got it out of flight sim.com, scenery, chagual. There are two files as I recall. One is in another language. Hope this helps. Also, try putting in chagual airport in google and I think you will find a couple of clips showing what I was talking about in my post. One is a C-130 going in and the other is a DHC-6 I believe.

I put the one in that was in Spanish. Looks fairly descent for a freeware project and since there was no default SPGL for FSX. I did a quick takeoff test which was pretty easy and tomorrow I'll try a flight into SPGL and do a landing.

volpar.JPG

volpar1.JPG

volpar2.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Mr. Zippy, I went back and looked at the chagual airport on google and I now see that the clip it shows is of the Xplane program so maybe they have better scenery files than FSX. Also, I think the C-130 approach was in Youtube. Either way, in FSX the 14 end of the runway is way inside from the river, not as shown in Xplane. You can climb out when leaving from the ramp end of the runway but you have to have a plane with lots of power and almost do a verticle climb OR make an almost 90 degree left turn just after lift off and climb out that way. This is not the best job of creating access to an airport that I have seen. I would be very nice to have the same approach as the Xplane does.

I rarely look a free gift-horse in the mouth! I just completed a quick flight into Chagual. Excuse me while I go change some personal clothing items and scream into my pillow a few times. (don't want to annoy or alarm the neighbors!) It was a fun landing and I did make it to runway 14. Posting some pics. You may want to search for a payware version.

SPGL.JPG

SPGL1.JPG

SPGL2.JPG

SPGL3.JPG

SPGL4.JPG

WOW, you did an excellant approach! I will give it a try with my turbo Cheyenne. I just might look at some of the payware packages. I sure would like to find something like the Xplane scenery as it takes you through the canyon so you don't have to make a fast descent. Guess that's what dreams are made of. Thanks for your help and safe flying.

WOW, you did an excellant approach! I will give it a try with my turbo Cheyenne. I just might look at some of the payware packages. I sure would like to find something like the Xplane scenery as it takes you through the canyon so you don't have to make a fast descent. Guess that's what dreams are made of. Thanks for your help and safe flying.

All of this was done using ATC. They ain't none too bright with their approaches. Same thing when trying to land at Lukla, Nepal. If flying VFR, you can find the canyon approaches on your own.

And a great clip it is! I was hoping FSX would have something similar for the approach and departure but unfortunately, it is more like flying into a barrel. I will try the ATC approach like Mr. Skippy did. So far I have crashed four planes trying the VFR approach. The approach speed is very critical I think. Just enough speed to keep the plane in the air. I will just keep trying and crashing planes until I get it right. Thanks for all your inputs.

It's all about your mesh for the area. I have my own custom made photoscenery and airport for Chagual with either a freeware mesh or payware, can't remember which is active, and the airport, surrounding areas and approach very much are the same as what you see in those real life videos.

As I recall, the freeware mesh is called meshfernandos or something like that. I will check once I get home.

Mr. Zippy and all, first I apologize for misspelling your name. That said, I did go into flightsim.com and did a search for "all programs, Peru mesh" and found 4 files for Peru. For Chagual you need to install #1 and you will have the canyons, villages and river in the approach to chagual airport. It works like a charm. Great flying!

First time installing add on scenery. Tried without peru mesh #1 and could land and takeoff in a pilatus pc6 just barely from both ends. Gonna try Peru mesh #1 ow and try in a citation x lol. Inspiring thread, couldn't wait to try it out after work.

You will see a HUGE difference when you install mesh #1. You can actually fly out of Chagual and up the canyons into airspace above all the mountains. Return flight into Chagual is just as much fun. You want to bear to the right a little as you come out of the mountains then make the left bank to line up with the runway. The citation might be a little fast for the trip but at least you can crash and not get killed! I flew out of the airport in a A1E Skyraider (Vietnam era aircraft) and came back in with no problems at all. Happy flying.

Skippy? (ha)(woof, woof).

OK, I got the mesh and will be installing it in a minute to try it out. Seems to me you could land an 747 in there..if you are careful? We shall see.....

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived