AI DC-3 Dakota Traffic Problem In FS2004 Query

eddywinch82

I have from that website I provide the link for in my previous post, two AI Traffic DC-3 Dakota files, I decompiled the European AI Flights one, file using TTools and had a look at the Aircraft Text File, and the cruise speed for the default DC-3 Dakota in that file is set as 120 i am not sure if that's Knots or MPH. Whereas in my AI DC-3 Dakota Aircraft Text File it's 180. Shall I change it to 120 in mine, and see if that makes a difference ?

OK let us go back a step or two. First make a backup copy of the DC3 folder and put it to one side and/or rename if you prefer.

Now if you make a change to any of the files, do one at a time and test, I know this can be time consuming but it is better than changing 4 or five things and if it works you won't know what change did the trick and the others might not have been needed.

I've spent many hours testing aircraft and yes it is time consuming, sometimes you hit it straight away other times it can take ages.

Hi ColR1948, I decided to revert back to the Original Default FS2004 DC-3 Dakota Aircraft.cfg File. And now the "Kestrel" DC-3 Dakota will obey every command the ATC give, i.e. staying at around 6000 Ft etc, it no longer goes to 20000 Ft and ignores the Request by the ATC to descend, and it now lands at Ronaldsway in the Isle Of man 1st time, maybe the Flight dynamics, in the updated Aircraft.CFG file were the problem !? However the Aircraft does not cruise at 180 knots, which is the speed I have in the Aircraft.txt file which was part of the DC-3 Dakota AI Traffic .BGL File construction in TTOOLS. It stays at around 90 knots with flaps deployed for virtually the entire Journey from Liverpool. How do I enable the cruise speed to be be 180, what do I need to change in the Aircraft.cfg file ? Also I have not tried the "KLM" Livery Dakota all the way to Schipol from liverpool Airport, but did part of the way and it was also cruising at 90 Knots !? Is there anyway I can change that, why are they only cruising at that speed. And not 180 Knots as I have requested them too ? Eddie

That is because the AI engine in FS picks the speed in the aircraft.cfg wich is 95.0 KTAS,

If you change the altitude a little higher the aircraft may fly a little faster because the air is thinner.

If you want it to be a super charged model then that is a another job of editing the aircraft.cfg but you have to be carefull some effects make the aircraft behave badly like shaking in flight and/or not flying right at all.

Some flight plans have the @ symbol added so the ai aircraft arrive on time, but that is editing the flight plans not the aircraft.cfg

You will also notice if you use TVB that the IAS may say around 90 but the TAS (True Air Speed) will be higher.

As for flying with flaps down then I would look on CalClassics for an AI model like i said earlier.

Hi ColR1948, I changed the Original Default DC-3 Dakota Aircraft.cfg file. "Reference Speeds"

From this :-

flaps_up_stall_speed = 67.5 //Knots True (KTAS)

full_flaps_stall_speed = 61.5 //Knots True (KTAS)

cruise_speed = 95.0 //Knots True (KTAS)

max_indicated_speed = 224 //Red line (KIAS)

to this, taken from the modified DC-3 Dakota Aircraft.cfg file :-

[Reference Speeds]

flaps_up_stall_speed=67.0 //Knots True (KTAS)

full_flaps_stall_speed=61.0 //Knots True (KTAS)

cruise_speed=180.0 //Knots True (KTAS)

max_indicated_speed=224 //Red line (KIAS)

Now the DC-3 Dakota for both AI Flights, flys at the correct cruise speed, and the "KLM" Livery Dakota does land properly, first time at Amsterdam (Schipol) Airport too. And doesn't have the flaps down, for most of the flight to Ronaldsway, only when in the landing pattern. Also do you know of any Freeware AI traffic software, that automatically sorts out AI Traffics Take off and Landing times in FS2004 ? So that there are fewer go arounds. i.e. traffic can land first time mostly ? At many of the Major Airports in the UK in my FS2004, there are many aborted landings and go arounds unfortunately. Eddie

Ha Ha Tom beat me to it, I have both of those but I tend to use AI Seperation more, but its a matter of choice, some use both at once I think.

As for installing AI traffic you won't go far wrong with World OF AI (WOAI) that way you can install the ones you want and/or for certain countries of your preference.

Hi ColR1948, I also have installed some AI Traffic from the WOAI Website, at the moment just the British Airline packages, which are really excellent ! Thomson, Ryanair, Flybe etc. I am hoping to install, some European or American Airline packages. Although I allready have installed Ultimate Traffic for FS2004, so will have to omit those particular Airlines, when I recompile the Traffic.BGL File (AI Traffic File) from "Ultimate Traffic" by Justflight, so the AI Traffic doesn't clash with each other.

Archived