Can't intall FSX?

bgets

I have had FSX installed on my system and working fine for years. The last windows 10 update messed things up and Irverted back to before the update. Since that FSX wouldn't run. I removed FSX from my system and have tried installing it again. Each time the setup wizard runs, I get a message saying "This folder is invalid. Make sure the folder exist and writeable"

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob G.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

I am using W10. It did an update and I didn't like it so I went back to the previous version before the update. FSX wouldn't run. I uninstalled it and made a new folder C:/FSX. That's when I get the message.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Intel i7 7700K 4.5 Ghz, GTX 1080 SC 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Samsung 500Gb SSHD, 750W PSU, P3DV4, Windows 10 64 bit Home Premium.REX,GEX,UTX. UTLive

I'll give that a try Zip. Just have to finish a flight using FSX-SE.

Thanks.

Bob G.

I doubt Windows says: "This folder is invalid"

It would name the folder. (path)

What does it say.

Remember, we can't see your monitor from here.

Installing to c:fsx should work ok. I installed mine the same way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's worked for ten years until this last W10 update. It won't even install to the default "program files/86.

Basically it says "Microsoft visual C++ distributable"

Then underneath that it says This file is invalid. Make sure the folder exists and is writeable.

I have done Google searches but can't find a solution.

Can't figure out why I can't upload the attachment?

while intalling fsx it should automatically install Microsoft visual C++ distributable 2005

Notice:2005

-It could be that this can't be installed on in10.

-It could be that other versions of Microsoft visual C++ distributable need to be installed first.

It is not your C:FSX that it can't write to.

---------

The installer for Microsoft visual C++ distributable 2005 is on the fsx DVD. You could try installing that separately first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@ Bob G.....

IT seems like that you either don't have MS Visual C++ 2005 installed or the current install is damaged. Go the following links and download the latest versions - note that if you have a 32 bit OS you only need the 32 bit version, if you have a 64 bit install you will need both 32 and 64 bit versions installed

32 bit - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3387

64 bit - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18471

Note: Run the installer by right clicking on it and selecting Run As Administrator from the menu. When you run the installer if it finds a reference to C++ in the registry it will offer a repair option as well as a full install - go with the repair option as it is a lot quicker and will replace any missing and/or corrupt files. Once you have installed them reboot and then try installing FSX.

It is also worth noting that there are a number of version of C++ available and all are separate entities that happy co-exist on a system. For an app to run it must have the appropriate version installed that it was coded for. If you go the Program and Features page within Control panel you will likely see multiple entries for Visual C++ versions - never delete any of these as they will be used by other apps.

@ Sparky347.....

IMHO, making such remarks as you have actually offer little in the way of help in resolving the OPs issue.

Whilst it is a personal choice as to what OS a person chooses to use, I don't believe its all about 'everyone wanting to have the latest and greatest'. For some its all about having a system that they know will be supported with updates, for others if may because they don't like their current OS and for some they simply had no choice because they have brought a new rig that came with W10 preloaded.

Yes, running FSX and other FS products on W10 can have it problems but, if you have read the various threads relating to such issues (as your opening comments appears to suggest), you will see that it can be done - many community members have successfully upgraded to Win10 and are still enjoying the 'flying'. Indeed, many of the problems encountered are the same as those that were encountered by some when they upgraded from XP to W7/8/Vista.

FTR I have been running FSX successfully on W10 for the last 6 months or so.

Regards

Brian

Archived