Ahhh, de Havilland. Vixens at sea.

Davecook

I have had a love affair with the de Havilland Sea Vixen since my teenage years when they would fly into RAF Linton-on-Ouse where I used to live. Later on in life I would work on them as a training aircraft when I did my RAF Technician Apprenticeship at RAF Halton. I already had John Young’s wonderful Sea Vixen AI package in my FSX library and had noticed the exceptional quality of the aircraft models. When Erwin Welker proposed a modification package, including VC cockpit, to turn John’s models into flyable versions, I just had to take a look …

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

001R.jpg

A quick session of punching holes in the Cornish clotted cream clouds gives us the opportunity to appreciate the exceptional beauty of this iconic 1960’s aircraft…

002R.jpg

… and John Young’s excellent AI model.

003R.jpg

Even the crew are modelled and animated!!

004R.jpg

300 kts,1,000 ft, downwind, cleared for touch and go. The tailhook didn’t seem to be working so I was not able to test the model's ability to land-on …

005R.jpg

Lined up on approach. Note the huge set of flaps …

006R.jpg

Hmmm, a tad to the right, let’s go around and try again …

007R.jpg

Power on ...

008R.jpg

... rotate ...

009R.jpg

climb out and back into the circuit ...

010R.jpg

Seem to be lined up better this time …

011R.jpg

Bang on the center-line! I would probably have caught the third wire …:cool:

012R.jpg

Put on the power and back to Yeovilton for a nice cup of tea … (you can see the tyre tracks from my previous attempt!)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Conclusions: The Hawker Swift cockpit that Erwin uses is for a single engined aircraft and so there is only one set of engine gauges. Maybe a twin-engined aircraft like the Gloster Javelin would have been a better choice. The flight dynamics seem very sluggish and the sound package needs changing. However if, like me, you love this aircraft then the modification is simple to do and very much worthwhile. The basic AI model is excellent and so the package could possibly be improved with a bit of tweaking to produce a very nice addition to the hangar.

My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

Great pictures, and wonderful narration!

Thanks for yet another very enjoyable post :)

WRT to your not seeing a tailhook: That doesn't mean that it won't work. It seems counter-intuitive, I know, but the visual display of a tailhook has nothing to do with how it works. Take a look in your aircraft.cfg file and see if there is a [Tailhook] section in it. If there is, it may well function normally. If there's not, you may be able to put one in, and thus make it work.

Next time you go to do CQ's, hit SHFT+Q, and try landing on the boat. See if it catches a wire, regardless of a visible tailhook or not.

Just a thought. I get them so rarely, and they die of loneliness pretty fast, any more...

Thanks again for some great shots regardless :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for your kind remarks guys,

Pat, thanks for reminding me about the hook. it wasn't just the hook but also setting up the wires etc, but anyway ...

The thing that astounds me is the fact that this was originally an AI aircraft. It has more detail than a lot of Payware I have seen!.

My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

Yes, JSMR, they don't make them like they used too ...

Larry, next time I will try it with 'Crash Detection' enabled - might be a different story!!:D

Pat, thanks for reminding me about the hook. it wasn't just the hook but also setting up the wires etc, but anyway ...

If that's a default FSX carrier, or Javier's Nimitz v2 boat for that matter, the wires are already "there" and ready to go. Just need the [tailhook] section and away you go. If it won't launch, try adding the [launch_assist] section too. Remember, the tailhook needs to be at least as far aft as thee farthest aft point of the fuselage, and maybe .5 feet longer than the main gear. If it wnts to slew off to one side or the other, or even tip over, try moving it 5 feet farther back. once it stops slewing upon landing, then you can fine tune it.

In any event, have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived