A Tale of 3 Tomcats

BillD22

Here are 3 exterior comparison shots of the great FSX models available for the F-14 "Tomcat" - 2 paywares and a freeware - all are TacPak enabled so if you have that addon package you're good to go for shooting at things :D

The newly released Aerosoft F-14A/B

f14.jpg

The Iris Pro Series F-14A/B

If142.jpg

Dino Cattaneo's freeware F-14D

f14d2.jpg

nice comparison, bill. u know what irritates me? the iris website no longer provides a link (that i can find, anyway) to upgrade the bird to version 1.5 for fsx. well ive got the old original from several computers ago, and am not inclined to pay for the new one. and without that upgrade it doesnt work fully in fsx. and i'm the one who wrote the nice review for the thing. well, i havent taken the trouble to email em yet, maybe that will work.

btw, any preference on how they al fly/trap, and any carriers in particular u recommend (i know the aerosoft comes w one)?

p.s., would LOVE to see the tacpack in action!

Phil Colvin

Great shots!!! Am I too drunk or am I seeing too many propeller blades on EC-2 Hawkeye plane in first shot?

Regards,

Aharon

Thanks for the good words and comments Aharon, Jan, & Wolf.

Aharon: You are seeing correctly! E2C's have all been upgraded with new propeller systems featuring 8 blades (they previously had 4)

Wolf: haven't done enough flying for a preference - all 3 are great visual models though. Right now I use the freeware "ai carriers2" program for my carrier traps + I have the TacPack but so far have only used it for loading weapons - no shooting at targets yet

To go with the external shots here are some shots of the cockpits. The F-14 is a two seat airplane carrying the pilot in the front and the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO) in the rear

The Aerosoft F-14A/B and (freeware) Dino Cattaneo F-14D model both the pilot and RIO cockpits. The IRIS model only has the pilot VC

This is the IRIS A/B model pilot VC. The IRIS model doesn't include the RIOs cockpit

irisvc.jpg

The Aerosoft A/B model pilot VC

apvc.jpg

The Aerosoft A/B RIO cockpit

ario.jpg

The (freeware) Dino Cattaneo F-14D model pilot VC showing more up to date MFD type displays similar to those on the F/A18, F-15, and F-16

dvc.jpg

The Dino Cattaneo F-14D RIO VC

drio.jpg

Pretty sure the C-130J and the P3E or F ( I think, not certain) have the new propeller systems also.

The new system is more reliable, and feathers better. The old ones on the E-2 and C-2 could fail, shut down the engine and lock at max pitch, making a giant garbage can lid out on the wing in a bird with enough steering problems already!

I read Approach magazine a lot :D Greatest publication along with the one for mechs.

Fantastic shots, Bill, thanx much! I only have FS9 drat it, but should I ever get FSX (one day!) that'll be my first bird. I love the Tomcat, both the way it looks and flies! HEAPS of fun :D stable, nimble, slow and yet fast as heck! Amazing bird. Friend of mine once said,one ORCA by call-sign, as he returned to the line shack for VMFFAT-401, pouring off sweat and exhausted after being an agressor in a Kfir out of Yuma MCAS...."NEVER get slow with a '14!" By the same token, the KFIR landed at over 200ktias, so slow to a Kfir and slow to a Tomcat are two different birds entirely.

Thanx again! ANY Tomcats you want to post I will gladly view! (And maybe save a few :D )

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Pretty sure the C-130J and the P3E or F ( I think, not certain) have the new propeller systems also.

The new system is more reliable, and feathers better. The old ones on the E-2 and C-2 could fail, shut down the engine and lock at max pitch, making a giant garbage can lid out on the wing in a bird with enough steering problems already!

I read Approach magazine a lot :D Greatest publication along with the one for mechs.

Fantastic shots, Bill, thanx much! I only have FS9 drat it, but should I ever get FSX (one day!) that'll be my first bird. I love the Tomcat, both the way it looks and flies! HEAPS of fun :D stable, nimble, slow and yet fast as heck! Amazing bird. Friend of mine once said,one ORCA by call-sign, as he returned to the line shack for VMFFAT-401, pouring off sweat and exhausted after being an agressor in a Kfir out of Yuma MCAS...."NEVER get slow with a '14!" By the same token, the KFIR landed at over 200ktias, so slow to a Kfir and slow to a Tomcat are two different birds entirely.

Thanx again! ANY Tomcats you want to post I will gladly view! (And maybe save a few :D )

Pat☺

Pat: Thanks for the good words and the E2 prop background info. If you're a Tomcat fan I assume you have the Dino Cattaneo and IRIS FS9 versions of the F14 (both freeware) - to my eye the exterior visual models are pretty darn close to the FSX versions - the difference between the FS9 and FSX versions is in the interior VC which is more or less fully functional in FSX for switches and systems where in FS9 just the flight instruments and HUD work in the VCs

Well, I usually fly in the 2D cockpit, so the VC isn't as important as it is to some folks, at least in some birds, the 14's among them. Having said that, the Iris f-14's do have fully functional (at least as far as necessary flight controls. A lot of light switches, the O2 system, Heat/cold/defog, etc etc, granted are non-functional, as is the DLC on the stick, and naturally, all weapons systems, since none of that stuff works in FS9 anyway, but the majority of the switches and controls work very well. The DLC does work, although not as well as in the real birds, as it's either full on or full off, not variable as in the real world, but it IS there. Throttles, flaps, wingsweep, AFCS, and so on, DO work, and very well, IMO. Additionally, just like the real birds, they have a very nice autosweep featured.

All that notwithstanding, I really don't care for the flight characteristics of the Iris birds. Especially after spending a lot of time studying the NATOPS and -200. To my mind, Dino's are a LOT more realistic (with a few "fine alignments" to match the real world I did). His cockpits may not be realistic, and after I get done with them they are farther from it, but I like them, and to me that's more important :)

Anyhow, there's the way I roll, and now, I'm going to go rollin' out of Pax River, for some traps off shore on CVN-69 :D

Great flights, and fair weather to all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 3 months later...

Archived