Engine On Vought V4U-7 Keeps Shutting Off

cockyboy

I recently downloaded the Vought V4U-7 (file name: corsair) from here at FlightSim. When I select it for the aircraft I want to fly, the aircraft loads, and the engine runs for about 6-7 seconds and shuts off. I restart the engine and it shuts off after about 3 seconds. I saw comments somewhere where someone suggested switching the panel with the panel from an aircraft that works. I tried copying the panel from another Vought Corsair that I downloaded and the problem still persists. Just as well, as the panel I tried switching with isn't anywhere near as nice looking or functional as the panel that came with the V4U-7. This is the only aircraft that does this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

It's necessary to keep the throttle up quite a bit or the engine will quit. I'm not aware of any other solution. Also, with this aircraft it's needed to put in 5 degrees of right rudder prior to taking off or it's very hard to avoid crashing.

I've worked extensively on this aircraft and in the Engine Start section of the Checklist I have "Throttle - 15%".

Jim F.

I have that bird too. If you are any more than a couple thousand feet above sea level, like at Reno, say, you need to lean the mixture down fairly quickly to keep the engine alive. Additionally, as SOON as you get in, let it die, then hit CTRL-E to fire it up properly. A switch, and I think it's the magneto switch, isn't on by default on that bird, even if the default plane you start out on does have it ON.

I'll look on mine. I had that problem, and I figgered it out by watching it start the engine with CTRL-E several times, in the VC, with the left and right sub-panels open. It took about 15 times to get it, but if you do that, you'll see some small little thing that isn't normally missing, but get's caught by the auto-start sequence. You just have be very attentive to details as it runs through, cause it's pretty quick, and it's not obvious. It's very small and almost hidden, but it's there.

OH! I think the Generator may be off too, and needs to be on, or maybe the Master. SOME switch isn't on, but CTRL-E turns it on during the startup sequence.

Finally, and this is important, I think that if you run the throttle down all the way, to the lowest it will go, that's the fuel shut-off, so if you hit F1, it will kill the engine. I think. Haven't flown it in a while. but try hitting F3 about 3 or 4 times to see.

As soon as I can, I see what it takes for certain, but those things I mentioned are all important.

By the way, the original Alpha-Bleu Ciel Corsair is a great bird. Flies like a dream, although, like the real Corsair, it has it's quirks! Beware :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi again,

I'm not certain we have the same aircraft and mine ended up being a compilation of several versions of the Corsair. I'm including a picture of my VC. The Ignition switch in the lower left will start or restart the engine if there is sufficient throttle to keep the engine running. I don't think that reflects reality but that's the way it is.

2016-8-8_22-41-32-774.jpg

Here's a portion of my modified Checklist that I use to successfully start the engine. Sorry for things being so spread out; I copied it from an html table. The original checklist was in French and this translation still requires a few edits but using my best guesses it works.

[TABLE=width: 419][TR][TD]BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE[/TD][TD]

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Brakes[/TD][TD]Set[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Electrical Equipment *[/TD][TD]OFF[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Power switch instruments[/TD][TD]OFF[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Hood Shutters[/TD][TD]OPEN[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Fuel Selector Valve[/TD][TD]MAIN (MAIN)[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][TABLE=width: 419][TR][TD]ENGINE START[/TD][TD] Autostart or:[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Throttle Control[/TD][TD]15 %[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][ ] Mixture[/TD][TD]RICH[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Propeller area[/TD][TD]CLEAR[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][ ] Main switch[/TD][TD]ACTIVATE[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Pump switch to auxiliary fuel[/TD][TD]ACTIVATE[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Ignition Switch[/TD][TD]START[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Tachometer[/TD][TD]1000 RPM[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Oil Pressure[/TD][TD]CHECK[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Auxiliary fuel pump[/TD][TD]OFF[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Anti-collision and navigation lights [/TD][TD]ON[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Avionics[/TD][TD]ACTIVATE[/TD][/TR][TR][TD][] Flaps[/TD][TD]UP[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]Jim F.

If the zip below is the one, then here is the fix. The '//***' indicate they are the orig values. Save a copy of aircraft cfg before you edit (just in case). I did not fly it (yet). But since it's from 2009, the fix should apply.

Chuck B

Napamule

'corsairx.zip', 05-31-2009, 13.2 mb

- ALPHA BLEU CIEL French Chance Vought F4U-7 Corsair

- Assembled for FSX by Danny Garnier, 2009.

[General]

EDITABLE= 1 //*** 0

//editable=0 //*** Line is listed TWICE

[piston_engine]

power_scalar= 1.3 //*** 1.0

idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 0.800 //*** 1.0 //Scalar on idle RPM friction

[propeller]

thrust_scalar= 1.3 //*** 1.0

[vacuum_system]

max_pressure=5.150 //*** 5.000000 is wrong, effects gauges, especially props

vacuum_type=1

electric_backup_pressure=0.000000

engine_map=1,1,1,1

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hey zippy,

Are you sure that's the right filename? I have that file and it installs with an .exe and I don't want to check it out but I thought it only had French markings on the aircraft.

Filename is correct. It did have French markings but I managed to find the repaint that's installed now. I pulled the filename out of the README that's still in the aircraft folder.

I also agree that the throttle needs to be advanced a little at startup to keep the engines running!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The file corsairf4u7.zip is also over at AvSim. My dad was on a Navy Carrier in 1945 and he sent home pics of him working on these babys. Then is when I got hooked on aviation. I was 5 yrs old then. I could draw (#2 pencil - hehe) a mean looking airplane when I was 10.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hey Chuck,

Yeah, I've got a pretty fair collection of Corsair files but don't know where most of them came from.

Capture.JPG

See Edit at bottom-------

And while I have you on the line I recall you mentioned a failed hard drive and the cost involved in recovering the data from it. Every so often https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ offers free programs that will allow you to recover it yourself. And as fate would have it I just checked today and there's a section on which you can vote on which program you'd like to see as a giveaway and a data recovery tool is one of the choices. Head on over and vote.

Jim F.

P.S. You only have until 1 AM to vote. That's when the site updates.

Edit---Bad news. I just checked and the free tool is for iOS data recovery. But I check GiveAway daily and don't imagine it will be too long before what you need is offered for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Again Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I did try the 'fix' suggested by napamule2, but it didn't change anything. I may have done something wrong, so I think I'll try it again when I can.

Thanks again.

Jim

Jim,

I checked and it seems they made a mistake - they got it backasswards. Here is the correct values to reduce the idle friction so the engine doesn't die on you. Did not check the 'corsairf4u7.zip' yet.

For: corsairX.zip : aircraft cfg:

[piston_engine]

idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar= 1.000 // 0.65 //*** Original value

idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 0.650 //1.0 //*** Original value

JandJ:

I got the Porsche 911 running BETTER than before, so why should I spend $400 (plus shipping both ways) to recover the files. And those 'free' recovery programs mainly go in and (try) to retrieve deleted files. They don't fix Master Boot Record or whatever it is now called for SATA HDrives. I am putting in my will that that HDrive be buried with me, so when I get to the other side ...... er, never mind (hehe).

Chuck B

Well I installed both of the Corsair zips. The cfg needs work on both. But it helps to add as I posted in above 2 posts. You should also add 'differential_braking_scale=0.800' and increase the brake to = '1.000'.

So when you go to 'punch it' on takeoff you can use differential braking (2 or 3 taps per second in quick succession) until the tail comes up. Use my head.

Now I know why I did not have this bird installed - the prop hides behind clouds. Bugs me enough to delete it right this minute. I made videos with Fraps. Film at 11.

Chuck B

Archived