historian needs recommendation for WWI simulator

Tamburlaine

I am writing an article about Eddie Rickenbacker, and want to buy flight simulation software that would teach me about the WWI era planes, such as the Nieuport and Albatros, that are featured in his memoir "Fighting the Flying Circus."

What is the best available? I have a very expert IT friend who will help with installation, and I am ready to pay whatever it costs to upgrade my computer to support it — at the top price, it's still a fraction of the cost of flying lessons!

Please advise if you can. Thanks

Tam

Either X-Plane or Microsoft's FSX are likely to be the two that will have some representation of the WW I aircraft, but don't get your expectations too high, as the flight models for those are not likely to be very accurate. However, in addition to FSX or X-Plane, you'll want to get a decent joystick and set of rudder pedals. To make best use of it, I'd suggest you get FSX and take the flight lessons included in the program -- that'll start you in a Cessna, but you'll learn a lot. From there you can look more at the older birds, some for purchase, perhaps some for free download.

Because you apparently don't already fly, either real world or sim (unless your comments misled me), I'd suggest you don't get your expectations too high about your progress, since it's not a 10-minute process (nor 1 hour, nor 5 hour process) to learn to fly well enough in the sim in order to get even a little benefit from the sim.

So I'd also suggest that a book (perhaps at the local library?) called Flying The Old Planes by Frank Tallman, ©1973, published by Doubleday & Company Inc., might give you a fair idea of how they fly (not very well, by modern standards) -- he even details the often odd (and sometimes dangerous) handling characteristics of each of the birds he discusses, taking you through preflight inspection, as well as flying them, even specifications for them.

Tallman was a well respected movie stunt pilot, among other credentials, part of Tallmantz Aviation with Paul Mantz (another well respected movie pilot, again, among other things).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Don't expect too much realism in World War I flight simulator models.

Many World War i aircraft were not trimable. The pilots and ground crew set them to be "rigged" to the pilot's requirement. Many pilots like to have a downwads pressure on the stick to help the aircraft pull-up hard in combat.

Many aircraft had rotary engines with high gyroscopic moments. The rate of turn could be very different in left and right hand turns.

Some aircraft ddn't have a throttle but simply a button on the joystick that was pressed to cut-out the magneto. Engine speed was controlled by "blipping" the button which affected the engine note.

Spinning characteristics were vicious and usually resulted in a crash, often fatal.

Hi Tam,

While I don't disagree with anything previously posted, I think it might result in you having an overly pessimistic view of what is available in flight simulation. I suggest clicking the "File Library" tab at the top of the page here and then "Search files". And then in the "Search for text" block type in the name of an aircraft manufacturer of the era and then "Start search". You'll see multiple results with info on the aircraft and what simulator they are designed for. Do this for different manufacturers.

Usually the results are listed in the order of what's available for the latest flight simulator versions. Those near the top of the list will likely fill your needs best.

Don't hesitate to ask for further assistance/guidance.

Jim F.

We should mention that there are two very realistic WW1 combat flight simulations available - Wings over Flanders Fields and Rise of Flight, both have most of the plane types of the era available. Google them for all the info. Of course, if you have no flying experience, it may be a good idea to start in FSX.

Thanks for your well-considered note. Sim is very far indeed from real life. I will add a detail from Rickenbacker: he found it necessary to circle the aerodrome a few times before landing to give his ears a chance to adjust from the change in air pressure going from the cold thin air of 15 k feet: omitting this adjustment period could leave an airman dizzy and complicate landing. I am aware then that it's not really flying, much less flying a vintage plane, but for all that it looks closer to the dream than just reading books or watching the Blue Max or Flyboys again.

Archived