Active Sky 2016 + REX Sky Force 3D

Timberleaf

AS16

I have been waiting for this to come out, and only AS16 has been released, so far. What I would like to know, if anyone has purchased it and can give comparison's between AS16 and ASNext. I have seen several YouTube videos showing some of the new features. What I have NOT seen is the advertised better representations of storms. All I have seen is the same layered looks, not at all what is shown in the pictures they use to promote the product upgrade. I have no idea what to think. So, and info from the community would be nice.

http://www.hifisimtech.com/as16/#buynow

REXSF

This isn't due for several months. If I understand correctly, this is a complete package of clouds and weather engine. Though there is information out there about what it is all about, being a complete texture replacement to include storms, rain walls, shelf clouds, tornados, etc, there is also little information regarding the integral parts of this program. Has anyone found, seen, heard, how will this compare to AS16?

http://www.rexsimulations.com/news.html#skyforce

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

AS16:

I bought both AS16 and ASCA, had ASN, AS2012 and Rex OD before. For me personally the real improvement is the integration of ASCA with AS16, which will change cloud depiction at runtime, without having to install texture sets and restart the sim. Other than that, the improvement over ASN is not very evident, but then again, ASN was already very good. AS16 is not as big a step up as ASN was over it's predecessors (if you ignore ASCA, that is).

The new REX weather engine product:

No idea, I'm afraid. Other than speculation, nothing tangible is afoot. Who knows when (or if) that one will be released.

I also bought AS16 and ASCA, already having Soft Clouds. My personal opinion is that AS16 takes Flight Simming to the next level, but ASCA does not compare to Soft Clouds. Therefore, my go to setup is AS16 and REX's Soft Clouds.

I am very interested to see what REX's new engine will be like. I can say that AS has taken over the weather engine game, but if the REX engine is close to as good of a product as Soft Clouds, it should be a very nice product.

Lane Pulcini - LKP Designs - Freeware Flight Simulator Add-ons - http://lkpdesigns.org

I also bought AS16 and ASCA, already having Soft Clouds. My personal opinion is that AS16 takes Flight Simming to the next level, but ASCA does not compare to Soft Clouds. Therefore, my go to setup is AS16 and REX's Soft Clouds.

I am very interested to see what REX's new engine will be like. I can say that AS has taken over the weather engine game, but if the REX engine is close to as good of a product as Soft Clouds, it should be a very nice product.

As Lane says, no-one here is able to speculate on what REX is producing - the beta testers will be under NDA. So anyone who proffers an opinion here isn't worth listening to. So for now the best combo is AS16 and REX clouds as the ASCA has received criticsim in many quarters that the art isn't as good as the engine.

Personally, I've got a perfectly acceptable REX weather engine, and I'm resolved to making NO decision about the next-gen until REX release theirs and true comparison is possible.

It is a sad fact that simmers rush into stormy weather whereas real pilots like to give it a wide berth... :pilot:

Archived