Orbxlibs and FTX Central updated

mallcott

...you might want to follow the topics in the FTX forum before committing to this.

That's for sure. The texture problems that have plagued Orbx products for years, have yet to be fixed. The workaround has always been to disable FTX regions when flying outside of FTX regions. The new unified version of FTX Central prevents the disabling of regions.

I know of one certain method of bringing back the ability to disable regions: Use an older version of FTX Central.

That's for sure. The texture problems that have plagued Orbx products for years, have yet to be fixed. The workaround has always been to disable FTX regions when flying outside of FTX regions. The new unified version of FTX Central prevents the disabling of regions.

I know of one certain method of bringing back the ability to disable regions: Use an older version of FTX Central.

Er, of course you can disable the Regions ! :confused:

You just can't do it through FTX Central which, with other recent changes, renders it about as useful as a chocolate teapot. The new troubleshooter for migration only tells you what didn't migrate, not provide ANY indication or tool to fix it.

After installing FTX Central 2.1, I've gone back to running FTX Central 1.0 so that I can disable regions! Of course, any version of FTX Central prior to the unified version (FTX Central 2.1) will enable you to disable regions.

After installing FTX Central 2.1, I've gone back to running FTX Central 1.0 so that I can disable regions! Of course, any version of FTX Central prior to the unified version (FTX Central 2.1) will enable you to disable regions.

No you don't need to go back to a previous version of FTX Central at all.

Disable regions through the scenery .cfg through:

1: Direct manual editing of the correct file

2: Direct manual editing of the same file through the sim GUI

3: Use of an external tool such as Scenery Config Editor

or

4: Uninstalling the regions you aren't flying in

Why make things complicated?

Why make things complicated?

Ha! I like your sarcasm! I guess we all need to address your question to Orbx.

I guess I should add that uninstalling FTX regions would work. However, I'm not sure that any means of modifying the scenery.cfg file, alone, would return your simulator to using its default textures. I haven't tried it (in Flight Simulator X). Have you tried it in your simulator?

Ha! I like your sarcasm! I guess we all need to address your question to Orbx.

I guess I should add that uninstalling FTX regions would work. However, I'm not sure that any means of modifying the scenery.cfg file, alone, would return your simulator to using its default textures. I haven't tried it (in Flight Simulator X). Have you tried it in your simulator?

If you wish to disable regions you simply uncheck the regions and associated files in the scenery .cfg. It's been the same since FS2004 days and P3D is no different. Regions are NOT hooked to the main sim in the same ways as global files.

And if you wish to return default files such as original textures that may have been overwritten by this invasive ftxlibrary system then that too, can be accommodated with a vanilla backup of P3D and a simple batch file - I use precisely this on a development rig for our club simulator - because we have members who have real-world experience pretty much anyway on the globe I use batch file swapping to provide a quick-change option so that they can tell me which is a superior representation. Although I have to say that FTX in both Global and Regional incarnations tends to get the nod. Which is why I tolerate the heavy-handed and myopic installation processes foisted upon their products - although I have to say that Vector v. UTX is a different story...

Now, it used to be you could ALSO disable those regions through use of FTX Central but their `unified` claptrap now basically gives priority to their programs and packages above all others. Clearly and despicably a means to undermine those who want direct control of what is installed in their simulator and how they might wish to merge certain FTX/ORBX elements with outside addons to create a simulator with visual elements of their choosing...

If this is not how you want to run YOUR simulation product then it is still a simple measure to take back control, outlined as above.

Archived