Returning to Flightsim

Hi guys,

I've posted this in the Hardware forum also, but I was a bit unsure as to where to post it.

I've been away from the sim for a few years, and decided to return!

I'm looking for a new pc, but funds are a bit limited, so I was wondering if the following would run FSX-SE ok?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Lenovo ThinkCentre M57e 7066

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.40GHz Processor

4GB Ram

1TB

DVD-Rom

Nvidia GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 Dedicated Graphics Card

Genuine Windows 10 Home 64Bit preinstalled

Can upgrade the graphics card to Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 (1x HDMI 1x DVI 1x VGA)

Hi guys,

I've posted this in the Hardware forum also, but I was a bit unsure as to where to post it.

I've been away from the sim for a few years, and decided to return!

I'm looking for a new pc, but funds are a bit limited, so I was wondering if the following would run FSX-SE ok?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Lenovo ThinkCentre M57e 7066

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.40GHz Processor

4GB Ram

1TB

DVD-Rom

Nvidia GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 Dedicated Graphics Card

Genuine Windows 10 Home 64Bit preinstalled

Can upgrade the graphics card to Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 (1x HDMI 1x DVI 1x VGA)

Darren I hope you haven't already bought that computer!! It has two (2) very negative features. First the CPU is way too slow for you to be happy long term. Secondly, and this isn't from personal experience, many are saying Windows 10 doesn't work with FSX nearly as well as Windows 7.

I strongly suggest you read the thread "Is this PC OK to run FSX with." That thread addresses your question.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Thanks for the reply Rupert.

No, I haven't bought it, just looking around, seeing prices etc.

I'm a bit on the simple side when it comes to processors etc. so bare with me on this...

Would this be any better?

Built inside a BRAND NEW ZALMANN mATX Case to allow a good circulated airflow to house the 500w power Supply

Overclocked DUAL CORE e7400 clocked at 3.5Ghz with 6GB of Ram

An AMD HD 5850

Almost universally, everyone agrees FSX works much better with an Intel processor. Not an AMD or any other brand, Intel. Pick your card, hopefully one that has a very high clock speed. But if you want to be happy, make that card an Intel.

Don't worry about a ton of multiple cores on your Intel processor either. After the 2nd core, they won't help much if at all. Even using "Acceleration" there is very little off-loaded to other cores. You can buy quad cores because they are what's fast now. But you won't even use all four of the quad cores.

And speed wise, a 4GHZ Intel processor is considered the standard for good results.;) The 4790K is one often considered the best FSX processor you can buy.

"The 4790K is one often considered the best FSX processor you can buy."

I just saw the 4790K is on sale on Newegg for $324. Which is what I paid as well. But bear in mind the that processor uses a LGA 1150 motherboard. So most likely you'll need to spend another $125-$250 for a motherboard if you choose it. Personally I thought and still think it's worth the money.

However, most people will have to be willing to over about $500+/- to install this chip!! And as maverick041223 pointed out, if you're going that route you'll probably want to get a better GPU with 1gb or a lot more of ram installed on it as well.

So if that's where you want to go, It's not going to be cheap!! Plan accordingly!!;)

Archived