Airport Chart Gauge Problem

quincysw1

I have installed Airport Chart Gauge and everything seems to be working but when I try to build a database (running as administrator)the airports show as zero and I am unable to get any charts to show.. Using windows 8.1 pro 64bit and FS2004.

Any help would be much appreciated

regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

I was ready to post and just saw your latest. I've also had to build the database several times before all the airports were there. Over 20K. Haven't had that problem recently though.

Not building the database is a trivial problem when you know the solution but I just recalled that I had a problem going into safe mode. I'm using Win 7 Pro and I always tapped F8 on start up and selected Safe Mode but I had problems recently. I had to run "MSConfig.exe", select Safe mode on the Boot tab, restart, build the database, again run MSConfig, deselect Safe mode, reboot and everything was fine.

Most of my simming consists of short hops between unfamiliar airports and I often like to just fly straight in rather than flying the pattern. Where APChart really helps is being able to get the weather info much further away by using the apchart info to manually tune the radio before the data appears on the ATC screen. I know it's on the map but I don't like to pause. And knowing which way I'm going to have to turn to get to parking is helpful.

Here's Apchart in FSX:

2016-7-2_9-44-35-209.jpg

Jim F.

Hi Brian,

I don't know what the problem is but I've had to do a rebuild several times until I got more than 20K airports. It seems likely that some process is interfering with the database rebuild but I have no idea as to how to fix it.

Jim

Hi All, I've got the V2 gauge installed and working in Win7 Pro x64, here's how:

Download and unzip, then right-click the install icon and in compatibility mode select XP SP2 and Run As Administrator.

Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions. Select at least one aircraft from the menu to install the gauge into.

Once installed, right-click on the Airport Chart DB Builder icon and in compatibility mode select XP SP2 and Run As Administrator.

Launch FS2004, click OK on the program not found error and click Fly Now.

Minimise FS2004 and run the DB Builder.

Click on FS 2k4, then click on Build. Mine took about an hour and found 27,165 airports. When completed, click Off, then close FS2004 and re-launch it.

Select your plane with the Aircraft Chart gauge installed and click Fly Now.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi tiger,

More than one way to skin a cat, as it were. I do have a question. I don't have FS9 installed right now so I can't verify but the number of airports seems high. Do you have additional scenery installed and if so does ApChart accurately reflect any airports that differ from the default? I've never been able to accurately display the data for airports which differ from the default.

Jim F.

Hi Jim, yes I have additional scenery and have so far tested ApChart at an International, a Regional and a grass strip airfield which I created the AFCAD for myself. It works perfectly at them all, and not all the AFCAD files are in the Addon Scenery folder either, some are in their Developer's own folder. I assume that ApChart must be reading the data from the AFCAD .bgl's of course, all of which are within my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 directory, I don't have any scenery on other internal, external or networked drives. The installer doesn't actually ask for the path, just the FS version, so it must be able to find the correct path from the registry key.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi tiger,

That sounds like good information. I don't have FS9 installed right now so I can't check things directly. On a recent install of FSX I had added ORBX scenery and was able to select the ORBX scenery or the default with their control panel. Regardless of which scenery I had selected, APChart only displayed the default info. My assumption was that, in building the database, APChart only looked in the default scenery folders. Apparently, at least with FS9, that's not the case. And as far as that grass strip you added, did you assign an ICAO and in what folder is it located. I can't do much until I reinstall FS9 but your findings might be applicable to FSX as well.

Jim

Hi Jim, the grass strip does have an ICAO code, but wasn't included in FS for some reason. The scenery folder is in the Addon Scenery directory, the AFCAD is in Addon Scenery/Scenery along with dozens of other (small) airfield AFCADs.

Archived