FSX Steam edition...

I have to mention that the Steam edition is that little bit better than the DVD version of Flight Simulator X.

There is one snag though with a third party add on...Playsims Scotland VFR Photographic Scenery volume 8 South. When you start to install it, it will eventually ask for disk 2. Once you put disk 2 into the drive, well, it just takes hours and hours

of non movement. It gets to the point that you carry on with doing things, like listening to music or reading and still the installation bar still hasn't moved or even asked for disk 3 (& 7 of them in all) . What is disappointing that FSX is boring and dull with the default 'make belief' scenery and having VFR Generation X England and Wales already (miraculously this takes much less time to install!) Scotland south just takes the mickey.

It maybe worth buying if the damn thing INSTALLS and takes LESS time in doing so.

Other than that FSX is pretty rubbish without the real scenery. Hence there is ORBX sceneries, but even that can be complicated rubbish. I am left disappointed in these developers for making things that don't really work, I despair and have to give up!

:(

I had to divert to the Steam edition due to technical errors on my disc version (ten years out of date!) - Even their updates are way out of date!

Having said that, I have just received an email from the developers and they say that the Scenery for Scotland south is not compatible with Steam. The resolution is much higher and it is only suitable for FSX Boxed. Hopefully things should improve with time.

Have you tired the ORBX FTX Global? It isn't nearly as complex as the other ORBX products I own. However it does cover every part of the world I've tried to date much better than the default & it is hugely, IMO, cheap!

Having said that, I am very pleased with the various ORBX FTX UK regions as well. I have England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, & Wales. They aren't a picture, as in a selfie or a Google travelogue. Neither are they "photoreal" IE: pictures taken from outer space. For computer derived scenery I feel they're the best I've found.

Since I almost never fly more than a few thousand feet AGL, I like to see houses, trees, hills, that actually appear to be of normal height. I'm not into scenery that looks like Gulliver of Gulliver's Travels marched through "Lillaput" and stomped on them as he passed.;)

For flying over Scotland I also enjoy the locally published ScotFlight software. It has a lot more detail of various places in Scotland than anything else I've found. And if you have the ORBX software, they even have a version of ScotFlight that works with ORBX to bring out even more detail!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived