Starting Default helicopters so the blades turn slowly

hsv

Hi all

when I start my helicopter, the blades just seem spool up to full rotation.

Is there anyway with the default helicopters to start so the blades turn slowly at first and build up to full rotation.

Cheers

Rhys

Best way is to go to Hovercontrol.com and DL'ing HTR. Then, once it's intalled properly, and the correct CFG file is in, increase the blade MOI SLOWLY, a little at a time, till the blade work as you want them too. They will also slow to a stop during shut down using this little trick.

You can also do a search in the forums about the situation you have. I believe parts of the problem are involving the MDL file, and some is in the .AIR file, and some in the Aircraft.CFG file. The last two can be fixed, the first....not so much. The HTR trick works pretty good though, as I recall...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You need to get into the chopper's .CGF file with Notepad or another text editor. Scan on down to [Rotor1] then look for

bladeMOI = 941 (for example on the value. it will be different for every bird)

INCREASE the numeric value by small increments...say 10-30 at a time. Save the file after every change, and go out to the HTR window (it must be running to do ya any good! :D ) and click the RELOAD Configuration button and try starting you chopper. Once it does what you want, leave it as is :)

Always remember save ANY file before you do any editing!

Every single parameter does something for the helicopter...read the included PDF file for detailed information on what each value does and how to change/test it. Incredible program! detailed as heck :)

Goood luck and let me know if you have problems :) The HTR forum on HoverControl is fantastic too. Tons of info that's very helpful. Additionally, there are a couple of articles on the site by David "Opa" Marshall (a brilliant helicopter designer for sims and IRL!) detailing the failures of the sims as far as how they are functioning to show a chopper and model it's flight characteristics (they're apparently not really very good), and how to at least fix SOME of them. I keep them readily available as a bookmark and refer to them often. I love playing with all this good stuff till the chopper flies (in my humble and very limited opinion) perfectly. For me, on my system, at least :)

Good fortune and fantastic flights to ya!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply

Looking at the CFG file I could only find this entry not the rotor1

[propeller]

propeller_type=1

propeller_diameter=6.883000

propeller_blades=2

propeller_moi=5.706520

beta_max=0.000000

beta_min=15.000000

min_gov_rpm=0.000000

prop_tc=0.100000

gear_reduction_ratio=1.000000

fixed_pitch_beta=20.000000

low_speed_theory_limit=80.000000

prop_sync_available=0

prop_deice_available=0

prop_feathering_available=0

prop_auto_feathering_available=0

min_rpm_for_feather=0.000000

beta_feather=0.000000

power_absorbed_cf=0.000000

defeathering_accumulators_available=0

prop_reverse_available=0.000000

minimum_on_ground_beta=0.000000

minimum_reverse_beta=0.000000

Hi

I am using the MD500e updated for fsx and no section in cfg file with main rotor

Opened up the airfile in air edit and found a section Helicopter Main rotor.

Clicked on that and the section expanded with an entry

"main rotor MOI=267.750000"

Sorry for the delay! I apologize for the misunderstanding :) I meant to indicate the .CFG file for the particular bird you want HTR to control (improve?!) that HTR is using, not the one FSX uses. Let's say ...htr/dynamics/MD5ooE.cfg.

When you install HTR, it also has two sub-folders: dynamics and dynamics_user. When you DL a .CFG file for the particular helicopter you want to fly (better LOL!) it looks first in the dynamics folder, then the dynamics_user folder, finally, the base folder. I couldn't tell you how most people do it, but I personally place a new sub-sub folder in dynamics_user, and open the DL into that, copy to dynamics_user to fine tune, and then copy the final version into dynamics. This way, I have at least 2 back-up copies of any .CFG file I am using, just in case. I have noticed that somehow, some odd event occurs to the .CFG file where it stops functioning in HTR, and one must replace it with a b/up copy. Or start the whole fine-tune process over again, and that's no fun!

OH! If there isn't a "pre-made" .CFG file for your particular bird (and there is for the MD500E updated for FSX, presuming it's the one by the Nemeth brothers...) on HTR, simply take a similar chopper's HTR .CFG file and re-purpose (to use a popular word) it for your bird. The pre-made .CFG files are on Hovercontrol, in the HTR DL section. Kinda a sub-section to that. Aditionally, the forums have a number of .CFG files for HTR that people have "improved". Just read through the forum and see, then you can cut-n-paste what people post as a improvement into a .txt file, rename it as whatever.cfg and away ya go! Just make sure it's got the right file name (say MD500E.cfg for example) for your bird. I also like to add a line, if I change anythingthing, as to the date I change it last so I can keep track of what file is for what bird...

Good hunting, and let me know if you want me to tell ya about the section of you Aircraft.CFG Mr. Zip's talking about :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry for the delay! I apologize for the misunderstanding :) I meant to indicate the .CFG file for the particular bird you want HTR to control (improve?!) that HTR is using, not the one FSX uses. Let's say ...htr/dynamics/MD5ooE.cfg.

When you install HTR, it also has two sub-folders: dynamics and dynamics_user. When you DL a .CFG file for the particular helicopter you want to fly (better LOL!) it looks first in the dynamics folder, then the dynamics_user folder, finally, the base folder. I couldn't tell you how most people do it, but I personally place a new sub-sub folder in dynamics_user, and open the DL into that, copy to dynamics_user to fine tune, and then copy the final version into dynamics. This way, I have at least 2 back-up copies of any .CFG file I am using, just in case. I have noticed that somehow, some odd event occurs to the .CFG file where it stops functioning in HTR, and one must replace it with a b/up copy. Or start the whole fine-tune process over again, and that's no fun!

OH! If there isn't a "pre-made" .CFG file for your particular bird (and there is for the MD500E updated for FSX, presuming it's the one by the Nemeth brothers...) on HTR, simply take a similar chopper's HTR .CFG file and re-purpose (to use a popular word) it for your bird. The pre-made .CFG files are on Hovercontrol, in the HTR DL section. Kinda a sub-section to that. Aditionally, the forums have a number of .CFG files for HTR that people have "improved". Just read through the forum and see, then you can cut-n-paste what people post as a improvement into a .txt file, rename it as whatever.cfg and away ya go! Just make sure it's got the right file name (say MD500E.cfg for example) for your bird. I also like to add a line, if I change anythingthing, as to the date I change it last so I can keep track of what file is for what bird...

Good hunting, and let me know if you want me to tell ya about the section of you Aircraft.CFG Mr. Zip's talking about :)

Pat☺

ps: I apologise for the double post, My mouse has gotten a little dirty over the last couple years and double-clicks on occaision...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi PhantomTweak

Thank you that it explains it better, yes I see the md500e cfg and that's the one

I' m trying to get the blades start up close to the MD in the link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1X3o-wOiE

but not having much luck, changed the blade moi in the htr cfg but not working maybe its the mdl file which of course can't be changed

Rhys

Archived