Is a Registry Cleaner needed and also Safe?

TomG

Hi,

I have been trying to prepare for FSX Steam by uninstalling old FSX and addons. The problem is many addons did not have uninstall options and I had to do it manually. I received several tips to use a registry cleaner such as Wise Cleaner to make sure all remnants are gone but I have read that they also delete wanted parts and files as well.

First of all are the cleaners really needed in preparing my machine for FSX Steam and if so are they safe to use? Thanks. Tom

I personally, and this is just MY experience, use Norton Utilities, and CCleaner, neither of which has ever given me a lick of trouble with deleting wanted Registry entries. CCleaner makes a list of what IT thinks needs to be deleted, and if there's something I don't like, find questionable or whatever, I can take it off the list. It will also make a file with all the entries in it, so that if something does sneak by, I can just put it back into the Registry.

It will also make a Restore Point before it does anything, so I can step back, if things are totally messed up, but I haven't needed it yet.

I've been using Norton since DOS 3.1 as the latest and greatest, and Windows was just a distant nightmare (I despise Windows. It's a memory vampire for people that can't figure out DOS...). Peter Norton invented a lot of the software we think was Windows origin, like Disk Defrag (Speed Disk), the entire Anti Virus genre, all of it, and I trust Norton.

JUST my experiences, once again. YMMV.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

...........removes only the fsx reg entries..........

Good tip but, as the quote says, it only deletes those entries that have a reference to FSX - it will ignore any third party addons entries that make no reference to FSX.

+1 on Pat's suggestion - I too use a combination of Norton Utilities (NU) and CCleaner with no ill effects. FYI the current NU is only payware or included bundled with their AV suites such as Norton 360 but you can download a freeware version from http://norton-utilities.en.softonic.com/ - its dated but still works

Regards

Brian

I have the same results with ESET & their registry cleaner. Not just FSX but a lot of programs or downloads you've added over time leave their tracks. I usually run the program overnight at least every six months. A clean computer is a faster computer.
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I use freeware versions of CCleaner and Glary Utilities.

I run Glary every night to clean out unwanted files and shut down my PC.

Like CC, it has a registry cleaner which has never caused me any problems whatsoever with Win10 or Win7.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

1) Yes, they work together nicely,

B) CCleaner is fine by it's self,

*) Yes, the free version will work fine by it's self.

Norton just has a lot MORE it can do, but CCleaner works just dandy as a stand-alone for cleaning things.

Does that answer you questions?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

cc cleaner and glarys are the only thing ive used for years...ive been using also a product that im very pleased with which i figured i would not be since i dont like using them but its called Ashampoo WinOptimizer , again i usually do what those programs do on my own but this one has a lot of great tools

Archived