Traffic Explorer not opening FSX SDK

I know the SDK is installed properly since everything was working up until about 24 hours ago. I've made no adjustments to the SDK. I have the "Tools - Traffic Toolbox" option on the menu in FSX and all 4 of the items are there. 3 of them will open and work perfectly: Settings, Map, and Dump Airport List. Explorer will show a box on my task bar on Windows, but it doesn't open. Yesterday it would open over the FSX window automatically. Now when I click on the box, I just get a "ding" sound from Windows and it doesn't open. I need it to work :(

This first screenshot shows that the tool is installed into FSX properly and shows on the menu.

Explorer option.jpg

The 2nd screenshot shows that once Explorer is selected from the menu, Windows opens a window for it on the task bar (bottom left corner)

explorer box.jpg

The 3rd screenshot shows that Windows shows the program as open

explorer available.jpg

Again, when I click on the window, all I get is a "ding" sound and the window doesn't open. I've had this happen on the FSX window sometimes when I minimize it and have to click on it a bunch to get it to maximize again getting the same "ding" sound each time I click and it doesn't reopen. Ive tried clicking on the Explorer window many many many times but it just won't open.

There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

I made a backup of the FSX.CFG file and let FSX rebuild the CFG and it worked. Now the issue is all those settings adjustments and tweaking I did to the CFG a couple of years ago. I don't remember what all they were. Since I don't know what exactly got corrupted on the CFG, I'll have to play around with it and do a side-by-side comparison to the old and new to be sure that all the tweaks are correct. Why does this sim always have issues right when I'm about to do my last flight before going to bed at a reasonable time and I end up staying up all night trying to fix and fix the problem :/
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

So, I'll just continue this conversation with myself, much like 99% of my posts on this forum :/

After FSX made the new CFG, I took the data and titles from the old one and replaced them on the new CFG. so for example, if the new CFG has a title [Realism] and the values below that from the old CFG were copied to the new CFG.

I saved the new CFG and restarted FSX, and everything is working fine.

These are the titles that were left behind from the old CFG:

[MAPVIEW_MAP]

[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]

[bufferPools]

[Trusted] (left 45 entries out of the new. Most of the ones left behind are gauges or something to do with a panel. I did however find 5 entries for as_btstrp.dll, 2 entries for as_btstrp_config_manager.exe, and 2 more entries for FsPassengersMini.DLL after 1 was already checked off)

[JOBSCHEDULER]

[FlightPlanMap]

[TrafficExplorer] (I believe this to be the culprit)

[aidebug]

[VisualFX]

Most of them seem to be saved settings for maps. I'm pretty sure the TrafficExplorer entries is what was corrupted. I'm going to try replacing each title into the new CFG and running a test 1 by 1 leaving Traffic Explorer for last since it is only a capture of where the options were (sort order, spacing for each column, etc) when it was last used.

At this point, I no longer need assistance, but I'm posting all this in case anyone in the future runs across the same problem, they can do what I've done to resolve it.

I made a backup of the FSX.CFG file and let FSX rebuild the CFG and it worked. Now the issue is all those settings adjustments and tweaking I did to the CFG a couple of years ago. I don't remember what all they were. Since I don't know what exactly got corrupted on the CFG, I'll have to play around with it and do a side-by-side comparison to the old and new to be sure that all the tweaks are correct. Why does this sim always have issues right when I'm about to do my last flight before going to bed at a reasonable time and I end up staying up all night trying to fix and fix the problem :/

Isn't it amazing how much money we spend to make ourselves absolutely miserable!! If anything else we owned, beyond computers and perhaps a smart phone, made us this unhappy we'd demand our money back. However, we just spend more money and frustrate ourselves even more often!! :rolleyes:

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I built this PC to run FSX and that was it lol. It was never intended to be used for anything else. I have since added a few more games on here, but when it comes to upgrading the hardware, FSX is what I keep in mind.

I've been using Flight Sim since 1998. I've ran across so many issues, have had so many desires that either couldn't be met or I don't have the knowledge to make them (building scenery), etc. What I have found is that most of the problems I've run into especially lately are simple trial and error fixes. Also will power and determination. I could have just left the CFG the way FSX rebuilt it, but that wasn't going to be good enough. I remember all the conflicts and crashes and blue screens of death I would get from the basic CFG. It had to be set back how I had it and have had it for 2 years. So thats what I set out to do. It was a guess that the CFG was the issue in the first place. I was blaming the SDK.

The amount of money I've put into this simulator with add-ons and upgrades, I could have bought a real airplane and not worry about corrupt CFGs or having to spend hours updating an airport before I can fly to it and still have a gate when I get there.

Hello,

I don't know that the following will work for you or not. I experienced many times after minimize FSX window and cannot maximize it back. What I did is click the fsx tab. After hearing the ding sound, press ESC on the keyboard and the small window of fsx menu will pop up. Then click "Continue Flying".

Sent from my SM-N915F using Tapatalk

Archived