More mesh, Landclass Terrain, etc....

KCD

In an old post (2011), Stringbean suggests that FS Genesis should be installed in the "addon scenery" section of the FS9 install, further, he states that it should remain close to the top of the list. FS Genesis has auto installers that place the mesh in the "scenery/world/ scenery" folder completely separate from the addon scenery file. The Bean makes an excellent case for installing his way, and others support his thesis.

Now, I'm of the opinion that Bean knows his stuff (he's never led me astray), and I think I should follow his lead on this issue. The problem is, before I ran across this ancient thread, I installed according to Justin Thyme's instructions and FS Genesis resides in the scenery/world/ scenery folder. Question is, how do I get it out of there without damaging the FS9 install, and once extracted, how do I install according to Stringbean's suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

How many files did it install into your Scenery/World/Scenery folder? Are they all distinct enough to recognize as FS Genesis .BGL files?

If so, I would use cut and paste to get each file out of the Scenery/World /Scenery folder and then paste into a new folder called FS Genesis. Then plunk this new folder into the Addon Scenery folder and add it using your Scenery Library.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Don't know, Zippy, but I'll check it out and see if that's possible. The files were the FSGenesis 38m files for the NE and SE US. I'm going to go to FS9 and see what I can see, then I'll be back.

Nope, That's not going to work, too many folders loaded down with all kinds of files and no way to distinguish the FSG files from those that would otherwise be there. Ho about uninstalling (Justin provides an uninstall tool) both and starting over? But, here's the problem. in the "scenery/world/ scenery" are "back-up folders and files" placed there (I assume) by the FS Genesis install. Has anyone ever done this before?

Could you not 'uninstall' FSGenesis and then re-install? I have FSGenesis and installed it into a temporary folder before moving it into my Addon Scenery file. Much more convenient, I can manage it much better this way.
My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

I've used FSGenesis mesh (as well as others) for ages. Always kept them in separate folders to categorize them. All folders in the FS2004\Addon Scenery folder. Always kept mine near bottom of scenery hierarchy with NO problems in all those years. It appears it's really personal choice.

Mesh Folders.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived