win 10 fsx addin issues

krosen

fsx is in the programs (86) file

Then I think it's being protected from changes by UAC. That's why you can't add new stuff.

Or it's a case of not having the proper permissions setup. Can you run FSX as Administrator?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Then I think it's being protected from changes by UAC. That's why you can't add new stuff.

Or it's a case of not having the proper permissions setup. Can you run FSX as Administrator?

i am an administrator on the computer. don't have problems with other programs that require administrator access. i appreciate your trying to solve my problem.

Because those other programs don't try to edit any files like FSX and add ons do.

The easiest thing to do is uninstall FSX and re-install it outside of the default install path, problem solved.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

NO!!!!!

Do NOT reinstall!!!

Just drop your UAC settings right down.

Right click the desktop icon for FSX & "Run as Administrator" (even though you are admin of the PC)

This has worked for all 3x of my FS9's, my FSX & my P3D. (as well as over 20x PC's at our VA. Never a problem).

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

You can either install into a folder outside C:Program Files(x86) - the best solution - or you can relax the UAC settings. To do that easily, get a free utility called TweakUAC.

A more permanent solution to running FSX as Administrator is to right-click on the desktop icon, then select Properties. Find the Compatibility tab, check the box "Run as Administrator", click Apply and then OK.

Jorgen

I don't use UAC, but I would still move FSX to it's own folder. Don't even need to

reinstall.. Just rename the FSX folder to FSX, and drag or copy it to the root folder of

whatever drive you want it on. I assume likely the same as it's on now..

It will rewrite the scenery index when started, and then be normal from there on..

I don't use UAC, but I would still move FSX to it's own folder. Don't even need to

reinstall.. Just rename the FSX folder to FSX, and drag or copy it to the root folder of

whatever drive you want it on. I assume likely the same as it's on now..

It will rewrite the scenery index when started, and then be normal from there on..

But the registry keys stay the same and point to where FSX was, right? So every automated installer will at least be confused and some addon depending on the registry path will cease to work. Same goes for all apps in dll.xml and exe.xml and entries in scenery.cfg that use absolute paths.

@krosen

What exactly do you mean when you write that you can't install addons? What happens when you are doing what? Any error messages, warnings, alerts?

But the registry keys stay the same and point to where FSX was, right? So every automated installer will at least be confused and some addon depending on the registry path will cease to work. Same goes for all apps in dll.xml and exe.xml and entries in scenery.cfg that use absolute paths.

@krosen

What exactly do you mean when you write that you can't install addons? What happens when you are doing what? Any error messages, warnings, alerts?

thank everyone for suggestions.

I tried all suggestions such as ensuring I was an administrator, changed uac settings and moved fsx to C drive root. these changes allowed me to install fsuipc, when I tried to extract other files to fsx I get a message "access denied. cannot create C:/program files(86)/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X\effects (or simobjects or scenery). Administrator privileges may be required." When I tried to extract files to fsx' new location get the same type of message except it notes cannot create C:/fsx effects, etc. The only way I can install downloads is to extract the file to the C root folder and cut and paste the subject to the new fsx folder and pertinent file.

Sounds like you are having issues with folder access permissions. I have this happen to me from time to time if I am not careful with which user account I start the installers. Some ask you if you want all users or just the current user to be able to use this software or you execute the installer with "Run as administrator". It happened then (more than once) that the software got installed with the default "SYSTEM" account and not my own user (which has administrator rights of course). This leads to the exact same behaviour, and even changing the folder permissions did not help. Just a few days ago I struggled with FSiPanel because of this exact same issue.

-> Check who owns your FSX folder

-> Check which account has what rights on that folder

-> Make sure that you run the installer with the account that has full access

-> Try to grant full access to "Everyone"

-> Make sure that you don't break your registry keys for FSX by miving the folders around

-> Check your UAC status.

If you would just correctly uninstall and reinstall FSX, your issues would go away. Quit trying to take all these shortcuts and just do the right thing: Uninstall and reinstall.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Archived