Upgrade From FS9 - Which Sim To Get?

csmj

Hello All,

After happily using FS9 for some years I am considering whether to upgrade my PC and move to one of the newer sims, FSX, P3D, or X-Plane. I have looked in those forums but cannot find the information I need to make a decision. Can someone briefly describe the various pros and cons of those three sims? There are apparently several versions of FSX, for example, but I don't know what the differences are (what is the "steam" version?), and why or why not would I rather use P3D or X-Plane.

I am a rather casual simmer in that while I spend a good amount of time at it (I'm retired), I'm not a pilot wannabe, have no interest in perfect technical flying (startup checklists, flipping switches to start engines, loading fuel, flight plans, etc), and don't use added hardware (yokes & pedals, etc), I fly just using the keyboard. I mostly enjoy relatively low & slow flying with regional turboprop twins or smaller while doing tours of states or countries with lots of landings at smaller airports, especially enjoying the scenery. I also enjoy the challenge of learning to fly different planes and getting to know them well enough to make decent landings using the VASI and ILS at airports that have it. I fly always VFR without ATC and flight plans, and use the map and compass as my main navigation tools. My main reasons for considering an upgrade is to get the better looking scenery products and planes.

I don't want to start a sim version war here, but would appreciate any thoughts about which sim would be the best for me. Thanks very much.

Clayton

My FS web site: http://www.cjcom.net/FS-a.htm with screen shots and short articles. Updated regularly.

Looks like FS2004 would still be the sim to use.

Thank you, but the whole point of this post is I am considering moving out of FS9 but don't know enough about any of the others to make a decision. If someone could briefly describe the various pros and cons of those three sims it would be a big help.

Thanks,

Clayton

My FS web site: http://www.cjcom.net/FS-a.htm with screen shots and short articles. Updated regularly.

Thank you, but the whole point of this post is I am considering moving out of FS9 but don't know enough about any of the others to make a decision. If someone could briefly describe the various pros and cons of those three sims it would be a big help.

Thanks,

Clayton

Clayton,

I'll try to give it a go, knowing full well that someone else will put their 2 cents in...

FSX (Gold, or the BOXED version): The 'old standby', which (may) include the Acceleration Pack, and the Service Packs. Hard to come by nowadays, and very expensive.

FSX-SE: the 'Online' version by Dovetail Games, and sold (via Download) through Steam.

Appparently, 'updated' by DTG in some fashion to be more agreeable with newer CPU's.

P3D: Sold by Lockheed Martin (under License), and again, with 'upgrades' for smoother Operation.

X-Plane: Requires some time to get used to the GUI, but more and more add ons being made every day (if you look @ the New Files section)...

Basically, you'll need a new Rig with a FAST CPU (3.0 or faster), LOTS of RAM, at least two (2) SSD's; 1 for FS, the other for the OS. Add a GOOD GPU, and you're on your way.

Get the FSX 'Tweak' Guides, and READ, READ, READ. Rest assured, you'll be tweaking Settings a few times until everything runs correctly.

A word of warning... Large Airport and Terrain scenery, combined with heavy AI and complex Airplanes (PMDG, etc.) may create lags or slower FPS rates; it's the pitfall of 11 year old Software with today's multi core CPU's.

Like I said... those who are FSX savvy will definitely chime in for sure, and my 411 will probably be incorrect.

Anyway... hope this helps!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

One important thing that you've not mentioned, is the specs of your computer system. FSX is very demanding as far as computer power is concerned. So, that is something to take into consideration. FS9 is still a great sim, and will run very well on a modest computer.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As mentioned above FSX needs a fair chunk of CPU power, but returns some additional and many improved features over FS9, including cockpit sharing in multiplayer (if you wish -- older style is there too).

I'd add that the graphics card is very important to P3D use, much more than in FSX, as LM has moved a lot of functions to be processed there, rather than on the CPU. But the end result is that you get more "eye candy" features such as volumetric fog/clouds (basically they seem more solid, closer to real appearance) and much improved (and more extensive) shadows, including cloud shadows and, if you have a decent graphics card you get all this (and more) with improved frame rates. I fly low level most of the time, and slow (piston engines mostly) and it's good -- with ORBX scenery it's great.

So your computer system will determine what you can be comfortable with.

I'll suggest you also get an inexpensive joystick (or maybe a yoke) to fly with, as it'll give you better control with less concentration needed but, of course, that's your call -- I just think you'd be better served that way (IMHO).

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I've tried most flight sims out there and regard FSX as king..:)

It's currently on offer in the Steam Sale til Jan 4th for only 3.99 Brit pounds (6 US dollars) so at that price you might as well give it a go.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

PS- if you glance down the 'Viewing' figures for the Flightsim.com forums at any time of day or night (below) you'll see FSX is always head and shoulders above the rest which speaks volumes for its popularity.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-popular2_zpswrxecirz.jpg~original

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-popular1_zpsrzpsmqr6.jpg~original

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've learned a lot, especially about how P3D handles graphics differently than FSX, and have been able to make more sense of what I read in the forums and other online research.

Thank you and happy new year,

Clayton

Archived